B450 AORUS PRO WIFI with Ubuntu 20.04

frost kazuma

So I am planning to upgrade to B450 AORUS PRO WIFI, so I dual boot Ubuntu 20.04 for job related reason, I mainly use windows for everything and I saw on the specification on their website on the remark part
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x/sp#sp

```
"Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website.
Most hardware/software vendors may no longer offer drivers to support Win9X/ME/2000/XP. If drivers are available from the vendors, we will update them on the GIGABYTE website."

```

So how does that affect my usage of Ubuntu 20.04, will there be issues?

Linux usually gets it's own drivers and you don't need to download them, your Wireless might not work though.

7 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

Linux usually gets it's own drivers and you don't need to download them, your Wireless might not work though.

if the wireless did not work, is it possible to make it work?

18 minutes ago, frost kazuma said:

if the wireless did not work, is it possible to make it work?

Yes, every device is different but you can probably find a driver from Gigabyte or who ever manufactured the wireless for Gigabyte. Or get a different wireless adapter, but you'll have to pay for this.

99% of the time Ubuntu 'just works', the biggest hurdle, as mentioned, can be wireless drivers not included. It's usually a fairly trivial matter to get the driver installed and working. However some devices, for some weird reasons, don't work at their full speed under Ubuntu. My laptop for example will only connect at a max of 72mbps where as under Windows I can get the full 150mpbs.

I had Ubuntu on my PC for a while, and the Wifi USB I had wasn't working and the only way to fix it was to manually rewrite the driver for it. So if something goes wrong it may be really tough, but most of the time it just works.

Okay I got this motherboard and I did not have any problems with ubuntu and wireless connection yay