The rising costs of low end Video cards? Why?

clamatowas1

Very expensive low end Video cards.

For work builds I've been using 1060,1650 or 1660. Mostly to push multiple 4k monitors and a little light gaming during lunch.

A 4GB 1660 used to run ~$240. Now they are $500. I see 1650's going for $400 and so on.

What is going on that is causing this? I would think with the release of the 3k and 6k series these older cards would get cheaper not double in price?

Is this expected to last I need to keep building work stations but now have no good Video-card options. 

13 minutes ago, clamatowas1 said:

Very expensive low end Video cards.

For work builds I've been using 1060,1650 or 1660. Mostly to push multiple 4k monitors and a little light gaming during lunch.

A 4GB 1660 used to run ~$240. Now they are $500. I see 1650's going for $400 and so on.

What is going on that is causing this? I would think with the release of the 3k and 6k series these older cards would get cheaper not double in price?

Is this expected to last I need to keep building work stations but now have no good Video-card options. 

you can still get those cards for those prices, just gotta look in the right place. i agree though, on amazon, and newegg, they have gone up a lot. i'm not 100% sure why, if i had to guess, i'd say new cards caused them to dump a lot of older cards, but supply is so low that people are jumping back to the cheaper older ones. just a guess.

edit: 1660 6gb 240$ https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-GAMING-GeForce-GTX-1660-6GB-GDDR5-192-bit-Gaming-Graphics-Card-Super-Comp/303374354180?epid=10035026058&hash=item46a2854704%3Ag%3A24wAAOSwBetd19CO&LH_BIN=1

Unfortunately, I'm not aloud to purchase form eBay, we have had so many issues that it's been banned by our Accounting Dept. 

However I'll look beyond Newegg and Amazon to see if I cant find a good dealer that stocks them.

We're currently entering into a GPU shortage that's probably going to be as bad as, if not worse, than the crypto craze in 2017-18. Shortages at the top filter down through the market as people who were going to get 30XX series cards settle for 20XX series, people who were going to get 20XX series cards settle for 16XX series, etc. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 minutes ago, clamatowas1 said:

Unfortunately, I'm not aloud to purchase form eBay, we have had so many issues that it's been banned by our Accounting Dept. 

However I'll look beyond Newegg and Amazon to see if I cant find a good dealer that stocks them.

same one from newegg 240$ https://www.newegg.com/zotac-geforce-gtx-1660-zt-t16600k-10m/p/N82E16814500480

7 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

We're currently entering into a GPU shortage that's probably going to be as bad as, if not worse, than the crypto craze in 2017-18. Shortages at the top filter down through the market as people who were going to get 30XX series cards settle for 20XX series, people who were going to get 20XX series cards settle for 16XX series, etc. 

This is my fear, all because Crypto mining. I feel is the end of humanity. Consume untold amounts of energy. Energy that is 90% none renewable, pollutes, nations fight for it. All for processing power that = exactly 0 benefit to humanity, just digital coins.

2 minutes ago, clamatowas1 said:

exactly 0 benefit to humanity, just digital coins.

Digital coins becomes real money
So you can spend it to get more digital coins to get more real money

Repeat to infinity

elephants

ever heard of a monopoly, OP? 

Yes, there's AMD... which makes it a duo poly... not much better (I'd say even worse) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Digital coins becomes real money
So you can spend it to get more digital coins to get more real money

Repeat to infinity

lol! Well you got to pay the middle man so each time you get a little less back.

I understand that this digital coin can = real $$ to buy real product and pay your very real taxes.

The problem is this. You're not adding anything to the market. You're only consuming. So every $$$ that is currently in crypto was just transferred away from other products or banks. 

If you buy software, service, physical product ect. You traded a finite resource for $$. What you purchased can now be consumed. You took from the market and added.

Crypto is ONLY take, only consume. Consume hardware, LOTS  of POWER, Some man hours. The end "product" cannot be used accept to consume more. You understand how this 100% consumption model will lead to economic ruin and due to the energy and precious mineral consumption will have compounding effects. 

I'm also upset I cannot buy a 3080 or more preferred a 3090 because of crypto farmers... 
/end rant

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

ever heard of a monopoly, OP? 

Yes, there's AMD... which makes it a duo poly... not much better (I'd say even worse) 

This is, objectively, a terrible take. We're in a very bad time of manufacturing period. Massive shortages across the entire semiconductor industry period, combined with a rise of demand of said semiconductors and limited manufacturing resources at this time (because of, well, the coronavirus) equals a market that's just not in the buyer's favor. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

This is, objectively, a terrible take

No, this is "objectively" correct, AMD and Nvidia form a duopoly for dedicated Graphics Processing Units, also known as "graphic cards" 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

No, this is "objectively" correct, AMD and Nvidia form a duopoly for dedicated Graphics Processing Units, also known as "graphic cards" 

I love how you're trying to shove your point as "AMD and Nvidia are a duopoly, that's why there's a GPU shortage" and not any other factor.

I know they're an effective duopoly. I'm not that stupid. But I'm also not blind to other world events and other factors.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

It's really due to the virus. More people are staying at home, needing something to do, so more components are being bought, and supply/demand is kicking into overdrive. You also will of course have people selling these to try and take advantage of uninformed buyers who might overpay for that hardware. Its not just low end GPUs, we see this happening with higher end GPUs and also a lack of price drop in used generations are we keep getting paper launches of new GPU generations. The CPU market is also experiencing this issue with the soaring prices on the Ryzen 3600. 

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

SO you're saying that a company that sells a physical product at the EXACT same price per unit, if they sell 10 million or 1 million, is artificially generating a shortage?

Even though the more they sell the higher margins they make?
Even though they need to sell millions before they even break even in R&D and full scale tooling costs?

This is not the Diamond industry where they don't R&D a product because the entire point is that it NEVER CHANGES. So all they need to do is horde 90% of what they dig so they can raise the cost by 10,000% per item sold.  

21 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

that's why there's a GPU shortage

just for the record, I didn't say that, I said that's why they can and *will* dictate prices however they want.

A duopoly or a monopoly isn't about "creating a shortage" it's about dictating prices, illegally, I might add. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, clamatowas1 said:

This is my fear, all because Crypto mining. I feel is the end of humanity. Consume untold amounts of energy. Energy that is 90% none renewable, pollutes, nations fight for it. All for processing power that = exactly 0 benefit to humanity, just digital coins.

no the power is used for ai witch will take over the world. so me an you will be jobless.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

20 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I am not going to enter this argument.

But I will say this:
Diamonds are not forever.

elephants

Diamonds have no value.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

31 minutes ago, clamatowas1 said:

SO you're saying that a company that sells a physical product at the EXACT same price per unit, if they sell 10 million or 1 million, is artificially generating a shortage?

Even though the more they sell the higher margins they make?
Even though they need to sell millions before they even break even in R&D and full scale tooling costs?

This is not the Diamond industry where they don't R&D a product because the entire point is that it NEVER CHANGES. So all they need to do is horde 90% of what they dig so they can raise the cost by 10,000% per item sold.  

like popcorn

8 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

It's really due to the virus

this is an ongoing situation, since years prices keep going up (for obvious, already outlined reasons) for gpus... the current crisis doesn't help, but it's not the cause for something that started many years ago, I hope that makes sense. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

this is an ongoing situation, since years prices keep going up (for obvious, already outlined reasons) for gpus... the current crisis doesn't help, but it's not the cause for something that started many years ago, I hope that makes sense. 

hi end gpus use to cost $400 i use to only spend $150.

13 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

duopoly is better then monopoly, because there could potentially be competition. Yes, 3 companies would be better then 2, because what seems to be going on in the CPU market is...

1. Intel gets a better product
  2. AMD can't compete with it
  3. Intel stops innovating because it doesn't have to
  4. AMD finally innovates and gets a better product and shakes the industry
  5. Intel can't compete
  6. AMD stops innovating because it doesn't have to
  7. Repeat

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

16 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

hi end gpus use to cost $400

19 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

since years prices keep going up

Not so sure about that gtx 690 cost $999, same for the 790, and most other mid to high end models like the 80s cost more than $500. Prices were pretty decent actually pre covid.

GTX 690 was an exception, basically 2 680s with internal SLI. Either way, yeah prices suck now. I was looking for RX 560's for a build... $60? For something 20% slower than a GTX 1050? Bruh. Polaris in general has gotten expensive in the used market.

8 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

Not so sure about that gtx 690 cost $999, same for the 790, and most other mid to high end models like the 80s cost more than $500. Prices were pretty decent actually pre covid.

im talking way older then that like the gt 260 gtx 580 erroa. back when they had like 3 gpus each. now they bummed everything up a tear or too just because. its like paying full price for a broken game you are the bata tester just to play it early (oh wate we do this now)

Edited by thrasher_565