Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The rising costs of low end Video cards? Why?

Very expensive low end Video cards.

For work builds I've been using 1060,1650 or 1660. Mostly to push multiple 4k monitors and a little light gaming during lunch.

A 4GB 1660 used to run ~$240. Now they are $500. I see 1650's going for $400 and so on.

What is going on that is causing this? I would think with the release of the 3k and 6k series these older cards would get cheaper not double in price?

Is this expected to last I need to keep building work stations but now have no good Video-card options. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, clamatowas1 said:

Very expensive low end Video cards.

For work builds I've been using 1060,1650 or 1660. Mostly to push multiple 4k monitors and a little light gaming during lunch.

A 4GB 1660 used to run ~$240. Now they are $500. I see 1650's going for $400 and so on.

What is going on that is causing this? I would think with the release of the 3k and 6k series these older cards would get cheaper not double in price?

Is this expected to last I need to keep building work stations but now have no good Video-card options. 

you can still get those cards for those prices, just gotta look in the right place. i agree though, on amazon, and newegg, they have gone up a lot. i'm not 100% sure why, if i had to guess, i'd say new cards caused them to dump a lot of older cards, but supply is so low that people are jumping back to the cheaper older ones. just a guess.

 

edit: 1660 6gb 240$ https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-GAMING-GeForce-GTX-1660-6GB-GDDR5-192-bit-Gaming-Graphics-Card-Super-Comp/303374354180?epid=10035026058&hash=item46a2854704%3Ag%3A24wAAOSwBetd19CO&LH_BIN=1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, I'm not aloud to purchase form eBay, we have had so many issues that it's been banned by our Accounting Dept. 

However I'll look beyond Newegg and Amazon to see if I cant find a good dealer that stocks them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We're currently entering into a GPU shortage that's probably going to be as bad as, if not worse, than the crypto craze in 2017-18. Shortages at the top filter down through the market as people who were going to get 30XX series cards settle for 20XX series, people who were going to get 20XX series cards settle for 16XX series, etc. 

My System: 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC •  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White) • ASUS VG27AQ • Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum • Logitech G502 Hero

 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

We're currently entering into a GPU shortage that's probably going to be as bad as, if not worse, than the crypto craze in 2017-18. Shortages at the top filter down through the market as people who were going to get 30XX series cards settle for 20XX series, people who were going to get 20XX series cards settle for 16XX series, etc. 

This is my fear, all because Crypto mining. I feel is the end of humanity. Consume untold amounts of energy. Energy that is 90% none renewable, pollutes, nations fight for it. All for processing power that = exactly 0 benefit to humanity, just digital coins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, clamatowas1 said:

exactly 0 benefit to humanity, just digital coins.

Digital coins becomes real money
So you can spend it to get more digital coins to get more real money

Repeat to infinity

Cool tech tip inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

elephants

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites

ever heard of a monopoly, OP? 

 

Yes, there's AMD... which makes it a duo poly... not much better (I'd say even worse) 

RYZEN 5 3600 | GIGABYTE 3070 VISION OC | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET STRAIGHT POWER 11 650W 80+ GOLD | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Digital coins becomes real money
So you can spend it to get more digital coins to get more real money

Repeat to infinity

lol! Well you got to pay the middle man so each time you get a little less back.

I understand that this digital coin can = real $$ to buy real product and pay your very real taxes.

The problem is this. You're not adding anything to the market. You're only consuming. So every $$$ that is currently in crypto was just transferred away from other products or banks. 

If you buy software, service, physical product ect. You traded a finite resource for $$. What you purchased can now be consumed. You took from the market and added.

Crypto is ONLY take, only consume. Consume hardware, LOTS  of POWER, Some man hours. The end "product" cannot be used accept to consume more. You understand how this 100% consumption model will lead to economic ruin and due to the energy and precious mineral consumption will have compounding effects. 


I'm also upset I cannot buy a 3080 or more preferred a 3090 because of crypto farmers... 
/end rant

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

ever heard of a monopoly, OP? 

 

Yes, there's AMD... which makes it a duo poly... not much better (I'd say even worse) 

This is, objectively, a terrible take. We're in a very bad time of manufacturing period. Massive shortages across the entire semiconductor industry period, combined with a rise of demand of said semiconductors and limited manufacturing resources at this time (because of, well, the coronavirus) equals a market that's just not in the buyer's favor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

This is, objectively, a terrible take

No, this is "objectively" correct, AMD and Nvidia form a duopoly for dedicated Graphics Processing Units, also known as "graphic cards" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

RYZEN 5 3600 | GIGABYTE 3070 VISION OC | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET STRAIGHT POWER 11 650W 80+ GOLD | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

No, this is "objectively" correct, AMD and Nvidia form a duopoly for dedicated Graphics Processing Units, also known as "graphic cards" 

I love how you're trying to shove your point as "AMD and Nvidia are a duopoly, that's why there's a GPU shortage" and not any other factor.

I know they're an effective duopoly. I'm not that stupid. But I'm also not blind to other world events and other factors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really due to the virus. More people are staying at home, needing something to do, so more components are being bought, and supply/demand is kicking into overdrive. You also will of course have people selling these to try and take advantage of uninformed buyers who might overpay for that hardware. Its not just low end GPUs, we see this happening with higher end GPUs and also a lack of price drop in used generations are we keep getting paper launches of new GPU generations. The CPU market is also experiencing this issue with the soaring prices on the Ryzen 3600. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

No, this is "objectively" correct, AMD and Nvidia form a duopoly for dedicated Graphics Processing Units, also known as "graphic cards" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SO you're saying that a company that sells a physical product at the EXACT same price per unit, if they sell 10 million or 1 million, is artificially generating a shortage?

Even though the more they sell the higher margins they make?
Even though they need to sell millions before they even break even in R&D and full scale tooling costs?

This is not the Diamond industry where they don't R&D a product because the entire point is that it NEVER CHANGES. So all they need to do is horde 90% of what they dig so they can raise the cost by 10,000% per item sold.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not going to enter this argument.

But I will say this:
Diamonds are not forever.

 

elephants

Cool tech tip inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

elephants

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

that's why there's a GPU shortage

just for the record, I didn't say that, I said that's why they can and *will* dictate prices however they want.

 

 

A duopoly or a monopoly isn't about "creating a shortage" it's about dictating prices, illegally, I might add. 

 

 

RYZEN 5 3600 | GIGABYTE 3070 VISION OC | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET STRAIGHT POWER 11 650W 80+ GOLD | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clamatowas1 said:

This is my fear, all because Crypto mining. I feel is the end of humanity. Consume untold amounts of energy. Energy that is 90% none renewable, pollutes, nations fight for it. All for processing power that = exactly 0 benefit to humanity, just digital coins.

no the power is used for ai witch will take over the world. so me an you will be jobless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I am not going to enter this argument.

But I will say this:
Diamonds are not forever.

 

elephants

Diamonds have no value.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, clamatowas1 said:

SO you're saying that a company that sells a physical product at the EXACT same price per unit, if they sell 10 million or 1 million, is artificially generating a shortage?

Even though the more they sell the higher margins they make?
Even though they need to sell millions before they even break even in R&D and full scale tooling costs?

This is not the Diamond industry where they don't R&D a product because the entire point is that it NEVER CHANGES. So all they need to do is horde 90% of what they dig so they can raise the cost by 10,000% per item sold.  

like popcorn

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

It's really due to the virus

this is an ongoing situation, since years prices keep going up (for obvious, already outlined reasons) for gpus... the current crisis doesn't help, but it's not the cause for something that started many years ago, I hope that makes sense. 

RYZEN 5 3600 | GIGABYTE 3070 VISION OC | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET STRAIGHT POWER 11 650W 80+ GOLD | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

this is an ongoing situation, since years prices keep going up (for obvious, already outlined reasons) for gpus... the current crisis doesn't help, but it's not the cause for something that started many years ago, I hope that makes sense. 

hi end gpus use to cost $400 i use to only spend $150.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from the COVID pandemic affecting everything right now. I believe as these newer GPU's are becoming more advanced, as in the manufacturing of the silicon is a contributing factor. Also, I believe nVidia has been slowly increasing the prices of GPU's in a matter of 'testing the waters' to see what consumers would be willing to pay. AMD obviously has been catching on to nVidia's scheme, but seems to mostly undercut nVidia to stay competitive.

Case: Fractal Define R6 USB-C Tempered Glass CPU: i7 5930K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified RAM: 48GB DDR4 2666MHz G.Skill GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum Drives: 500GB SSD (2x), 960GB SSD, 120GB SSD, 2TB (2x) HDD, 4TB HDD, & 500GB HDD Displays: Acer Predator 27" XB271HU 165Hz G-Sync (1440p) & 2x Dell P2715Q 27" (2160p) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yes, there's AMD... which makes it a duo poly... not much better (I'd say even worse) 

duopoly is better then monopoly, because there could potentially be competition. Yes, 3 companies would be better then 2, because what seems to be going on in the CPU market is...

  1. Intel gets a better product
  2. AMD can't compete with it
  3. Intel stops innovating because it doesn't have to
  4. AMD finally innovates and gets a better product and shakes the industry
  5. Intel can't compete
  6. AMD stops innovating because it doesn't have to
  7. Repeat

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

Spoiler

 

laptop: macbook air 13.3”

Spoiler

            RAM: 4GB 1333MHz

            CPU: Intel Core i5 2557M

            SSD: 128GB

            OS: Ubuntu 20.04

            Status: Retired PC

desktop: operation badger

Spoiler

            RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

            CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

            SSD: 256GB

            GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

            OS: Windows 10

            Status: Main PC

            Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

            Temps: CPU idle 45C, load 78C, top 85C. GPU idle 50C, load ~77C.

 

 

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

hi end gpus use to cost $400

 

19 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

since years prices keep going up

Not so sure about that gtx 690 cost $999, same for the 790, and most other mid to high end models like the 80s cost more than $500. Prices were pretty decent actually pre covid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

GTX 690 was an exception, basically 2 680s with internal SLI. Either way, yeah prices suck now. I was looking for RX 560's for a build... $60? For something 20% slower than a GTX 1050? Bruh. Polaris in general has gotten expensive in the used market.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×