Questions about Ultrawides and VESA stands

Donut417

Firstly Im thinking of upgrading my 21:9 monitor to a bigger size. Mainly the one I have is only 24", but I fell in love with the 21:9 aspect ratio. Im pretty sure my desk (Ikea Freddie) will support a 34" 21:9 monitor just fine. I was also thinking of upgrading to a higher resolution, 1440p. Thoughts? What are some things to look for in a panel. Mostly going to be using it for YouTube (If I want to do full screen I just use the panel built in to my Macbook Pro), surfing the web and some light gaming (Factorio, Minecraft, Killing Floor 2, etc). This will be the highest resolution screen I have. Currently that title is held by the panel thats in my MacBook Pro. 

Secondly. I need to know if this exists. A VESA stand, not a clamping mount or wall mount. But a stand that replaces the built in one. One that is Ultra wide capable and rotates 90 degrees. I was going to replace my aging 16:9 panel with my current ultra wide in portrait mode. The Freddie desk doesn't support clamp style mounts and wall mounts are out of the question.  The reason I want to replace the panel is because its a glossy screen and my current ultra wide is matte. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

A VESA stand, not a clamping mount or wall mount.

They do, you can slap in that exact phrase "VESA stand" into Google and it'll pull up a bunch of different kinds, all the normal sit-on-top-of-the-desk types, vs the clamp ones. Can probably search around a bit more and find one exactly to your liking. Here's one that says it rotates 360 degrees: here. You can probably find one that's better featured too, this one looks pretty basic. You will need to make sure the stand can go tall enough to hold an ultrawide rotated 90 degrees (even my 29" ultrawide is a good bit wider than a 27" 16:9 panel). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tb648d/asus-mx34vq-340-3440x1440-60hz-monitor-mx34vq

Thoughts? Ive never experienced a VA panel. Only have ever owned IPS or TN, and I wont touch a TN panel with a 30 foot pole, the color shift really screws with me on TN panels. 

If you'll be rotating the monitor from the standard landscape to portrait, just keep in mind that the stand will need to be tall enough to allow the rotation.  For instance, if a 34" 21:9 monitor is used, the center of the mounting bracket will need to be about 19" high so the corner of the monitor doesn't hit the desk when rotating.  If a 34" monitor will simply be staying in portrait, then the center of the mounting bracket will only need to be 16" or 17" high.

If it needs to be free-standing, I'd suggest looking for one that's either extra tall or made to be standing height.  That will give you a lot of room to work.

7 hours ago, VIVO-US said:

If you'll be rotating the monitor from the standard landscape to portrait, just keep in mind that the stand will need to be tall enough to allow the rotation.  For instance, if a 34" 21:9 monitor is used, the center of the mounting bracket will need to be about 19" high so the corner of the monitor doesn't hit the desk when rotating.  If a 34" monitor will simply be staying in portrait, then the center of the mounting bracket will only need to be 16" or 17" high.

If it needs to be free-standing, I'd suggest looking for one that's either extra tall or made to be standing height.  That will give you a lot of room to work.

Thanks for the info. After looking around It seems that my current ultra wide is 25" and according to the Amazon Listing its 24" wide. While a 27"normal monitor is just over 24". So if thats correct something like this: https://vivo-us.com/collections/monitor-mounts/products/stand-v011h Should work. 

Can anyone recommend a 21:9 monitor in 1440p? I was looking at spending no more than $800 between a new monitor and a VESA stand for my current monitor. Like I stated, Ill be using it for Youtube, Surfing the internet and the occasional game. Needs to have 3 inputs. Preferably 1 Display port and 2 HDMI. And should be fairly easy to switch between the inputs. 

On 12/4/2020 at 6:18 PM, Donut417 said:

Thanks for the info. After looking around It seems that my current ultra wide is 25" and according to the Amazon Listing its 24" wide. While a 27"normal monitor is just over 24". So if thats correct something like this: https://vivo-us.com/collections/monitor-mounts/products/stand-v011h Should work. 

That one would work just fine!  For a 25" ultrawide, even one of the more standard VESA mounts with a 17" pole would be tall enough for it to rotate freely.