Microphone picking up headset audio.

Jon Berg

My mic has been working fine for a couple years now.

But then recently, all of a sudden it started picking up my desktop sounds, like YouTube videos or game sounds, and even my friends voices. 
It happens everywhere. It happens in Discord, in Teamspeak, in my recordings and in-game voip.
So naturally I went to my motherboard manufacturer's website and downloaded the latest audio drivers. But when this didn't solve the issue,

I was very confused as to why my mic started acting up all of a sudden.

So I took to Googling the issue. There I narrowed it down to being microphone bleed, not crosstalking, as when I mute the mic, there is no desktop audio coming through.

But why would it start now? I have been using this microphone for years no problems.

Then I thought maybe the mic was just getting old, so I bought a new mic but the problem still persists. And now on this new headset I'm getting crosstalking too, even when

plugging the splitter cable into green and pink jack in the back of the case. I did resolve that issue by buying an external sound card. But the leaking is still occuring.

I have now tried almost every possible solution I've found on the web.
- I have made sure "listen to this device" is un-checked.
- I also have both boxes checked under "Exclusive Mode" in the Advanced tab.
- I have tried to plug the headset in to different ports all over the case, in the front and in the back. For both headsets.
- I have disabled Stereo Mix.
- I have made sure my mic is set to default device.

- I have tried to disable microphone enhancements.
- I have tried to turn on both noise suppression and echo cancellation to no avail.
- I have tried to uninstall my audio driver.

- I have tried to update my audio driver.

To name a few things I've tried.
But then when going into my Realtek properties in Device Manager I noticed that in the Events tab it said that the device was not migrated. So I did a clean install of Windows 10
and now there are no errors in the Events tab. But the headset is still leaking sound into the mic.
I'm honestly at a loss, the only solution I have to this right now is to just play with the volume set really low. But it's hard to hear what people say so that's not great.
Oh and I've tried to play around with my microphone levels and boost. And I can get it to where you can barely even hear the leaking. But downside is you can't hear my voice either so yeah.
And lastly, it could have been caused by a Windows update, as I've been hit by 3 of them very recently. But I can't say for certain.
The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried, is upgrading my BIOS but I'd really like to avoid that if at all possible.

I did end up finding a fix for my new headset, but not the old one.
The old one was a USB mic by the way, and the new one is connected with a splitter cable.

So remember I mentioned that the new mic would have cross talking, so I went and bought an external sound card?

Well this was all before i discovered that my audio drivers could not be migrated.

After a clean install of windows 10 I still had leaking with the external sound card.

But when I went back to the splitter cable after the drivers were fixed, then I no longer have a leak on this new headset.