Is there a difference between the i3 8100T vs i5 8400T in real world difference if you don't game?

Hi,

I am looking for a spare PC just for work and looking at a SFF micro pc and am wondering if the extra money is worth it for the i5 8400T over the i3 8100T if you just do basic tasks. The baseclock on the i3 yes is higher and fixed vs the higher potential boost clock of the i5. I mainly do research so lots of tabs open and maybe a zoom, playing youtube while looking back at security camera footage. 

9 minutes ago, MBisFrenchy said:

I want something almost inaudible instead of hearing the power supply fan going in the system. 

the difference between an 8100T and an 8100 will not change this about your system

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Underclock/undervolt the i3-8100

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

6 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Underclock/undervolt the i3-8100

The issue is not the cpu fan, but the power supply fan noise but its a proprietary sff computer so replacing the power supply isn't possible. My main question is would a i5 8400t be any benefit over a i3 8100t for my workload?

That fan noise would probably be the same regardless of T or non-T. T-series CPUs are glorified laptop CPUs anyhow in terms of TDP.

17 hours ago, MBisFrenchy said:

The issue is not the cpu fan, but the power supply fan noise but its a proprietary sff computer so replacing the power supply isn't possible. My main question is would a i5 8400t be any benefit over a i3 8100t for my workload?

I would think the i3 will be fine for what you're doing. You're not exactly tearing it up. Out of curiosity, what manufacturer/model is your CPU? Some of the smaller slimline units use a Flex ATX/1U power supply that looks proprietary but totally isn't, and there are a few not-shit replacement units out there.

15 hours ago, brian105 said:

That fan noise would probably be the same regardless of T or non-T. T-series CPUs are glorified laptop CPUs anyhow in terms of TDP.

Not really. Most laptop CPUs fall in the 5-15W range these days, if I had to guesstimate, with some of the highest end stuff making it up around 45W. A T-SKU CPU comes in at 35W. I've got an i7-6700T in a sleeper system built inside the shell of an ancient HP Slimline. It's low-powered and you can tell, but I'd take it over almost any mainstream laptop CPU from the Skylake era or before. I actually considered buying one of those Eluktronics desktop-socket laptops that everyone was going nuts about a few years back, purely so I could drop in that 6700T.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

6 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I would think the i3 will be fine for what you're doing. You're not exactly tearing it up. Out of curiosity, what manufacturer/model is your CPU? Some of the smaller slimline units use a Flex ATX/1U power supply that looks proprietary but totally isn't, and there are a few not-shit replacement units out there.

Not really. Most laptop CPUs fall in the 5-15W range these days, if I had to guesstimate, with some of the highest end stuff making it up around 45W. A T-SKU CPU comes in at 35W. I've got an i7-6700T in a sleeper system built inside the shell of an ancient HP Slimline. It's low-powered and you can tell, but I'd take it over almost any mainstream laptop CPU from the Skylake era or before. I actually considered buying one of those Eluktronics desktop-socket laptops that everyone was going nuts about a few years back, purely so I could drop in that 6700T.

Hi,

Current computer is a Dell Inspiron 3470. The replacement I am looking at would be a HP or Del SFF micro PC.