Moving Windows from HDD to NVMe SSD m.2

Akihikono
Go to solution Solved by LIGISTX,
20 minutes ago, Akihikono said:

As most of us I have also bought upgrade parts for my pc on black friday.

I already have a working pc but I am planning to upgrade the following:

• Motherboard
  • Cpu
  • Ram
  • Storage

I have windows on my HDD but I want to move my OS to my SSD m.2 (my old motherboard does not have a ssd m.2 slot) 

What is the best way to move/clone my OS from my hdd to my new ssd m.2? What programs do I need and what do I need to keep an eye out for?

Or is it better to buy a new windows overal? 

As this is my first post and first time moving and/or cloning, please be gentle. I have searched through old posts but I can't really find anything.

I sincerely thank you all in advance.

Before you start the upgrade, log into windows with a Microsoft account and tie your windows license to your account. This will allow you to migrate to new hardware later since a new mobo usually “de-authorizes” your windows license. 

You can build your system (upgrade everything), and use your old drive to boot. Once booted, it may say it’s no longer registered due to hardware changes, but since you tied the key to your account, you can follow the instructions for recovering your key after changing hardware. Once it’s all happy, you have 2 choices:

1) use macrium reflect to clone old drive to new ssd, use PC as normal.

2) use macrium reflect to clone SSD, and then use Windows 10’s built in “reset PC” option which will effectively reformat the machine so it’s like starting totally fresh. At this point you will have 1 “fresh” format, and still have your old data on the old drive. You can then copy your data (save games, pictures, music, docs, etc) to the SSD, you will need to redownload/install games and programs though.

Then in either case, once it’s all set up in the SSD, you can format your old drive and use it for mass storage :)  

• Motherboard
  • Cpu
  • Ram
  • Storage

I have windows on my HDD but I want to move my OS to my SSD m.2 (my old motherboard does not have a ssd m.2 slot) 

What is the best way to move/clone my OS from my hdd to my new ssd m.2? What programs do I need and what do I need to keep an eye out for?

As this is my first post and first time moving and/or cloning, please be gentle. I have searched through old posts but I can't really find anything.

20 minutes ago, Akihikono said:

• Motherboard
  • Cpu
  • Ram
  • Storage

Before you start the upgrade, log into windows with a Microsoft account and tie your windows license to your account. This will allow you to migrate to new hardware later since a new mobo usually “de-authorizes” your windows license. 

You can build your system (upgrade everything), and use your old drive to boot. Once booted, it may say it’s no longer registered due to hardware changes, but since you tied the key to your account, you can follow the instructions for recovering your key after changing hardware. Once it’s all happy, you have 2 choices:

1) use macrium reflect to clone old drive to new ssd, use PC as normal.

2) use macrium reflect to clone SSD, and then use Windows 10’s built in “reset PC” option which will effectively reformat the machine so it’s like starting totally fresh. At this point you will have 1 “fresh” format, and still have your old data on the old drive. You can then copy your data (save games, pictures, music, docs, etc) to the SSD, you will need to redownload/install games and programs though.

Then in either case, once it’s all set up in the SSD, you can format your old drive and use it for mass storage :)  

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Thanks a lot! I'll start tomorrow. I assume I can

57 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

log into windows with a Microsoft account and tie your windows license to your account.

If I Google it?

34 minutes ago, Akihikono said:

Thanks a lot! I'll start tomorrow. I assume I can

If I Google it?

Google will tell you how, yea. It’s simple. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air