ASUS, Asrock, and Biostar Have Enabled Resizable BAR On Their Z490 Motherboards

Random_Person1234
Go to solution Solved by Random_Person1234,
6 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

In the end, it'll have been a short-lived gimmick that gave them an advantage over Nvidia, similar to how "RTX" gave Nvidia an early advantage in ray tracing despite it also being a standard thing in both DirectX and Vulkan.

I agree. I do think raytracing is a bigger advantage than this though, because it can't just be enabled through the driver like Nvidia is doing with "SAM" (I mean it can, it just won't be hardware accelerated). Nvidia getting raytracing earlier gives them a "headstart" that will likely help them in the long run as raytracing becomes more and more useful. 

This does give AMD one selling point they can use to try to regain a spot in the high-end tho

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

On 12/4/2020 at 10:12 AM, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

I agree. I do think raytracing is a bigger advantage than this though, because it can't just be enabled through the driver like Nvidia is doing with "SAM" (I mean it can, it just won't be hardware accelerated). Nvidia getting raytracing earlier gives them a "headstart" that will likely help them in the long run as raytracing becomes more and more useful. 

This does give AMD one selling point they can use to try to regain a spot in the high-end tho

It would make far more of a difference in neural net work, since the bottleneck is ram size. Though it's a bit speculative since most NN stuff is done on Linux machines because of how much of a pain Windows is.

On 12/4/2020 at 3:29 PM, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Asrock has released a BIOS update for the Z490 Taichi.

Here's the headline feature: "add C.A.M. (Clever Access Memory) function.". The naming is just pure gold 😂

ASRock > Z490 Taichi

shoulda been S. C. A. M. (super clever access memory) but I get it, sniding nzxt (and their "cam" / spy app) gets my approval at any point also! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

btw what's stopping mobo manufacturers from doing the same for older Ryzen CPUs? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

btw what's stopping mobo manufacturers from doing the same for older Ryzen CPUs? 

Historically AMD have been a bit more controlling via AGESA updates what is or isn't allowed. Look at PCIe 4.0 support on 400 chipset for example. I'd expect Zen 3 support on 300 chipset to go the same way soon. So if a mobo manufacturer were to do this somehow without AMD's blessing, let's just say it wont help their relationship.

There was a rumour floating around that older AMD CPUs lacked some instruction or feature required for its implementation, but without confirming it I saw something more recently suggesting that wasn't the case. I think in short we just have to wait for AMD to give their official response, and it is safest to assume older CPUs wont get it until we know otherwise.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 12/6/2020 at 2:55 AM, Kisai said:

It would make far more of a difference in neural net work, since the bottleneck is ram size. Though it's a bit speculative since most NN stuff is done on Linux machines because of how much of a pain Windows is.

No, it doesn't. Above 4g mmio decoding has been available on linux since 2017, and batch sizes are usually allocated in many small blocks, not huge blocks at once (where such feature makes sense).

This is a feature that's really useful for NICs and FPGAs that move tons of big chunks of data (4gb+ as a single piece of data) at once.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:07 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Older Ryzen CPUs lack an actual hardware implementation to some BMI2 instructions (PEXT and PDEP), which are "emulated" through microcode. This makes it so that the latency required to perform some PCIe manipulations required with reBAR are really high (10~20x higher than a hw implementation), which makes the benefit of having rebar almost null for games. iirc, there's some limitation on windows that makes it not work that way, but I'm not so sure about that.

Anyway, Intel CPUs have had this since their 4th core µarch, iirc, and AMD only made it a hardware implementation on Zen 3.

As to your actual question, nothing, it has already worked since 2017 on linux, all you needed was a mobo with the option for "Above 4g decoding" (which they now renamed to rebar) or something like that, enable it and you're good to go. It also works with older Zen CPUs.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

6 hours ago, igormp said:

No, it doesn't. Above 4g mmio decoding has been available on linux since 2017, and batch sizes are usually allocated in many small blocks, not huge blocks at once (where such feature makes sense).

This is a feature that's really useful for NICs and FPGAs that move tons of big chunks of data (4gb+ as a single piece of data) at once.

Older Ryzen CPUs lack an actual hardware implementation to some BMI2 instructions (PEXT and PDEP), which are "emulated" through microcode. This makes it so that the latency required to perform some PCIe manipulations required with reBAR are really high (10~20x higher than a hw implementation), which makes the benefit of having rebar almost null for games. iirc, there's some limitation on windows that makes it not work that way, but I'm not so sure about that.

Anyway, Intel CPUs have had this since their 4th core µarch, iirc, and AMD only made it a hardware implementation on Zen 3.

As to your actual question, nothing, it has already worked since 2017 on linux, all you needed was a mobo with the option for "Above 4g decoding" (which they now renamed to rebar) or something like that, enable it and you're good to go. It also works with older Zen CPUs.

Then how come there is a option for BOTH 4G decoding (which motherboards have had for a long time) and now "resizebar BAR" if they are the exact same thing?

If they were identical, they wouldn't have an option for both, with BAR being added in addition to the existing "above 4G decoding."

4 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Then how come there is a option for BOTH 4G decoding (which motherboards have had for a long time) and now "resizebar BAR" if they are the exact same thing?

If they were identical, they wouldn't have an option for both, with BAR being added in addition to the existing "above 4G decoding."

Probably something specific to Windows in order to report BMI2 or something like that. As I said before, it already worked on linux with "above 4g decoding" only.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga