Used PC last night.... today nothing but a light buzzing noise coming from PSU (Even though PC will not turn on)

Hey guys,

I had built this PC 2 weeks ago.  Everything was working fine,  however when in high demand games the games would often crash to desktop for no reason.  Tried troubleshooting this issue to earths END.  Made no sense to anyone.  Fast forward to today... go to press power button on PC and.. nothing happens at all.  I notice the "Start" button LED on MOBO is lit up but fans do not spin at all and the PC does nothing.  Also,  when I press the power button either on MOBO or the case it shuts the LED indicators off.  I jumped the power supply using provided jumper from EVGA and the PSU fan spins but it only will power the RGB lights on the case fans.  The fans do not spin and my GPU RGB lights do not turn on.  I listened closely to back of PSU unit and even with PC off its making a low-audible electrical buzz constantly.  I find it odd that while terminated the PSU fan will spin but when connected to 24-pin mobo it does nothing.  I am pretty convinced this is a failed 12-V rail on the power supply or bad capacitors but would like opinions!  I ordered a replacement (seasonic) and will be asking for a RMA on the EVGA Supernova GA 850W that is in question.   I have tried disconnecting all components one by one to no avail (except CPU and mobo of course)  I am worried if this could be a MOBO or CPU issue.. but I find it unlikely the PC worked less than 24hrs earlier. 

SPECS
Gigabyte Aorus master x570
Power-Color RX 5700 XT Red Devil 

64gb Gskill trident z neo 3600mhz

500gb Samsung 960 EVO NVME m.2
Ryzen 7 3700x @ 3.6ghz 
EVGA Supernova GA 850W PSU

If I have left anything out or can provide more information please let me know..  this is getting scary as I just spent a decent amount of money for these parts and the PC/Parts are in jeopardy.

-Mike M 

Do you have anotther PSU to test with? Can you borrow one from someone?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

6 minutes ago, mikey3808 said:

games would often crash to desktop for no reason

Crashes always happen for a reason, you might not know it right off the bat, but there is a reason. Bad RAM, XMP, bad OCing, iffy power supply or very outdated drivers. 

Event Viewer can help find the issue if you are not getting outright BSoDs.

As to your current issue, pull everything out of the case, set on phone book, plug in only the things needed to POST (cpu/cooler, 1 stick of ram, use onboard video if you can, otherwise the GPU) add power and see what happens.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

44 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Do you have anotther PSU to test with? Can you borrow one from someone?

Ya my replacement when it comes :)  otherwise not really

41 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Crashes always happen for a reason, you might not know it right off the bat, but there is a reason. Bad RAM, XMP, bad OCing, iffy power supply or very outdated drivers. 

Event Viewer can help find the issue if you are not getting outright BSoDs.

As to your current issue, pull everything out of the case, set on phone book, plug in only the things needed to POST (cpu/cooler, 1 stick of ram, use onboard video if you can, otherwise the GPU) add power and see what happens.

The buzzing coming from the PSU just having the toggle switch on is a problem no?  I have never had a PSU do that... 

at this point, i would slowly swap parts 1 by 1 to diagnose

based on this and your prev threads

high suspect is PSU and GPU for me

though CPU and RAM isnt clear either

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

at this point, i would slowly swap parts 1 by 1 to diagnose

based on this and your prev threads

high suspect is PSU and GPU for me

though CPU and RAM isnt clear either

Thank you.  Swapping parts for me is impossible as I don't have similar gen CPU or GPU to test with.  I have tried removing ram 1 by 1 and power still non-existent.  I feel strongly toward faulty PSU at the moment.. I guess I will find out if im the proud owner of a faulty ryzen cpu, or mobo very soon.  The fact that the GPUs LED lights do not even light up when the PSU is jumped is telling to me.... because I did this same thing when the PC was powering on and the entire case (Fans moving, GPU lighting up, CPU cooler pump on) worked without the mobo 24pin connector.  Thanks guys lets see what happens next.  

10 minutes ago, mikey3808 said:

Thanks guys lets see what happens next.  

Yeah keep us in the loop. I do suspect bad PSU.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

15 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah keep us in the loop. I do suspect bad PSU.

Will do.  Ya either way that PSU is not functioning properly.  My biggest fear is what it may have done to my other components.  Has anyone ever had a system destroyed by a bad PSU? 

5 minutes ago, mikey3808 said:

Has anyone ever had a system destroyed by a bad PSU? 

I have seen it many times in a professional environment, but only with OEM "budget" builds. Quality PSUs will fall on their sword rather than taking out other components.

From a personal standpoint only, I will not buy anything EVGA, I've had too much of their stuff fail prematurely, even when it was used very little/not pushed. All the same, I may just have had bad luck. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have seen it many times in a professional environment, but only with OEM "budget" builds. Quality PSUs will fall on their sword rather than taking out other components.

From a personal standpoint only, I will not buy anything EVGA, I've had too much of their stuff fail prematurely, even when it was used very little/not pushed. All the same, I may just have had bad luck. 

Sorry to say... I have only ever bought this EVGA PSU..  I was looking to buy their GPUs later on but this may deter me tbh.  I have had really good luck in the past with components not failing.  I have a 8 year old PC I built still being used daily in my office... 

1 hour ago, mikey3808 said:

Sorry to say... I have only ever bought this EVGA PSU..  I was looking to buy their GPUs later on but this may deter me tbh.  I have had really good luck in the past with components not failing.  I have a 8 year old PC I built still being used daily in my office... 

No worries, like I said, may be my bad luck, but I dislike MSI as well, I feel their mobos are substandard but I have limited experience with them. Not being a gamer, I don't go for cutting edge max flash, but rather stability and build quality over everything else.