iMac 27" (2009-2010) supported graphic cards ?

hey guys,

i have an imac 2009 and an imac 2010 both need graphics card replaced. 

can you please list all the supported graphics cards? i need the cheapest ones, the imac is just gonna be used for office stuff, so even 256mb of vram is great.

thank you all :)

1 minute ago, OCD-FREAK said:

hey guys,

i have an imac 2009 and an imac 2010 both need graphics card replaced. 

can you please list all the supported graphics cards? i need the cheapest ones, the imac is just gonna be used for office stuff, so even 256mb of vram is great.

thank you all :)

i dont think you can upgrade the gpu of an imac

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Slight problem:
Typically on iMacs the GPU is soldered onto the logic board.

nope, if you have an experience opening imacs you should know that imacs from 2009 to 2011 are fully upgradable (ram , cpu , gpu)

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Slight problem:
Typically on iMacs the GPU is soldered onto the logic board.

1 minute ago, Enzo1001 said:

I'm not sure how old they have to be but some iMacs use a card with the GPU soldered on it, like a daughter board. All you have to do is buy the board and replace the older GPU inside. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, Enzo1001 said:

yes you can, imacs from 2009 to 2011 are fully upgradable 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

I'm not sure how old they have to be but some iMacs use a card with the GPU soldered on it, like a daughter board. All you have to do is buy the board and replace the older GPU inside. 

not really - there is literally a gpu card that you can just swap for a supported card in imacs starting from 2009 till 2011

2 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

Can you even replace the graphics card in an iMac? I unless you have the equipment for bga soldering Idon't think you can replace it.

But here's a list from Apple https://support.apple.com/kb/SP507?locale=en_CA

yes - please read my other replies - im mostly asking apple geeks to help me out 

1 minute ago, OCD-FREAK said:

not really - there is literally a gpu card that you can just swap for a supported card in imacs starting from 2009 till 2011

Yeah I know but they use some sort of industry standard they use for those cards that I don't recall their name. Do you have the exact model numbers of the iMacs (AXXXX)? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"