Installing a NVME SSD on Z490-E Gaming

alonisrael123

Update 5.12.20 - Solved. Thanks guys!!!

Hey guys. I'm trying to install a Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb on the bottom M.2 nvme slot of my Z490-E Gaming because I prefer my graphics card on the upper PCI-E slot (so the graphics card is making the upper nvme slot inaccessible).

For some reason the new ssd does not appear anywhere on the Uefi bios (It's not recognized), nor can I install the nvme driver from Samsung's site. I try to run the driver but nothing happens.

Does anyone know how to install the nvme ssd on this motherboard??

Update:

I've moved the NVME SSD to the top slot behind the gpu, but it still doesn't appear anywhere. Can anyone explain what exactly I need to install to make it show in the bios (and where exactly in the bios?)

Samsung NVME driver doesn't run for some reason. Installed Intel optane memory but still nothing works.

Edited by alonisrael123
ulefi-uefi

1 minute ago, alonisrael123 said:

Hey guys. I'm trying to install a Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb on the bottom M.2 nvme slot of my Z490-E Gaming because I prefer my graphics card on the upper PCI-E slot (so the graphics card is making the upper nvme slot inaccessible).

For some reason the new ssd does not appear anywhere on the Uefi bios (It's not recognized), nor can I install the nvme driver from Samsung's site. I try to run the driver but nothing happens.

Do you have other devices plugged in to the pci slots other than the top one?

Do you have any SATA devices plugged in? If so, how many?

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

2 minutes ago, alonisrael123 said:

not even in bios?

oh boy

well i had a similar issue but AT LEAST it was recognized in the bios, but i'll still recommend to do this.

boot up into your os (hopefully win 10) and install Intel optane memory

5 minutes ago, alonisrael123 said:

the graphics card is making the upper nvme slot inaccessible

you should remove the graphics card and insert the drive into the top slot.

if the drive isn't detected something is broken.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

you should remove the graphics card and insert the drive into the top slot.

if the drive isn't detected something is broken.

Why does it matter if I use the top or bottom slot?

4 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

not even in bios?

oh boy

well i had a similar issue but AT LEAST it was recognized in the bios, but i'll still recommend to do this.

boot up into your os (hopefully win 10) and install Intel optane memory

Should I install: "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V17.9.4.1017 For Windows 10"?

It's a driver in the motherboard website. Is it mandatory for nvme installation? I've never seen that before.

1 minute ago, alonisrael123 said:

It matters if the slot is defective or something

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, alonisrael123 said:

Should I install: "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V17.9.4.1017 For Windows 10"?

It's a driver in the motherboard website. Is it mandatory for nvme installation? I've never seen that before.

Well i had to install a bunch of things for the motherboard.

and no, i'm not talking about rapid storage but about something like this https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/99745/Intel-Optane-Memory

image.thumb.png.beef2d63e1ba1f7a43401d125c0a6d06.png

Although my ssd does not support Intel Optane, it seems to made it work.

3 hours ago, alonisrael123 said:

If it's not seen in the BIOS no software will do anything. 

The bottom slot often gets conditionally deactivated based on other devices that may be installed in your system, the first doesn't. 

You haven't answered the question above about what else you had in there so it's still unknown whether that's a factor in your case.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I've moved the NVME SSD to the top slot behind the gpu, but it still doesn't appear anywhere. Can anyone explain what exactly I need to install to make it show in the bios (and where exactly in the bios?)

Samsung NVME driver doesn't run for some reason. Installed Intel optane memory but still nothing works.

2 hours ago, alonisrael123 said:

Have you definitely mounted it properly, pushed it all the way in an screwed it down?

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

Can anyone explain what exactly I need to install to make it show in the bios

Nothing. You plug it in and it works. 

If it doesn't then either it's improperly installed or something's faulty.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2