Redragon K552 Rainbow RGB, Great beginner keyboard? --A Non-Keyboard Junkey Review

Helpful Tech Witch

Id like to start by saying this is from a keyboard noob's perspective. I dont know shit about keyboards. 

I ordered a Redragon K552 Rainbow rgb off of amazon sunday, and got it for 27.99 on a Cyber Monday deal. Its usually 34.99.

Now, it has just a few things in the box. 

The keyboard

Redragon sticker

Manual

Keycap puller

Just looking at the box, it seems like the Outemu Red switches can be removed ans switched, from the "Great mechanical switch for DIY" message, right next to a Outemu Red switch with a switch puller removing it. 

Also, the manual provides the "RGB" presets, and the other FN shortcuts.

Before plugging it in, I compared it to a Logitech EX110 (well, the keyboard from that set), as well as he Dell SK-8115. Both are membrane keyboards, and are the only ones I have other then the new one.

The Logitech is marginally quieter all around, and you can't hear a metallic twing (Im pretty sure its from the spring), like you can in the K552.

The Dell is interesting. It has a louder space bar, and a much quieter esc. But most keys are the same volume, with a slightly lower clicking pitch.

Build quality winner for me before was the Dell, as it would only bend slightly when trying to. The Logitech bent.... quite a bit. The Dell also was much more stable on the keycaps. 

Looking at the Redragon, it just blows the Dell out of the water. It just doesn't bend..... at all. The Redragon also is much more stable on the keycaps, but there still is a fair bit of wobble.  

Typing:

Typing is a weird category for me to test, because, well, I am really bad at it. Like, terrible. So, I'll do my best here.

I was just mainly pressing buttons before plugging it in, but it feels great. The dell and logitech fell mushy, which I guess they are (?).

I wish the switches were like 40g of force, not 47g, but I guess that could be fixed by swapping the ABS caps for heaver ones.

Plugging it in and looking at the lights, the key backlight on/off settings are pretty useless, and it was a pain to make my own. But after I di9d its easy to turn on, just don't press FN+PgUp, it wipes backlight settings. 

The light sequence is... fine, I dont really care that muich. I do a lot of gaming in the dark, so I can see the keys better, that all I care about.

It feels great to game on, and I really like it compared to the Logitech and Dell. Those feelt unresponsive almost, and this one fells... much more responsive.

I did do some typing tests, and I am a average-below average typer. I was hitting about 25 on the dell, 23 on the logitech. The Redragon, I was hitting 33-35 on average.

I love typing on the Redragon, and it destroys any laptop membrane, so I may need to do all of my homework on my pc, or just take out the keyboard and use it on my chromebook. 

Mechanical Keyboard club for life.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I've gotta go to school now, ill finish this when I get back.

oh, ok.

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Id like to start by saying this is from a keyboard noob's perspective. I dont know shit about keyboards. 

I ordered a Redragon K552 Rainbow rgb off of amazon sunday, and got it for 27.99 on a Cyber Monday deal. Its usually 34.99.

Now, it has just a few things in the box. 

The keyboard

Redragon sticker

Manual

Keycap puller

Just looking at the box, it seems like the Outemu Red switches can be removed ans switched, from the "Great mechanical switch for DIY" message, right next to a Outemu Red switch with a switch puller removing it. 

Also, the manual provides the "RGB" presets, and the other FN shortcuts.

Before plugging it in, I compared it to a Logitech EX110 (well, the keyboard from that set), as well as he Dell SK-8115. Both are membrane keyboards, and are the only ones I have other then the new one.

The Logitech is marginally quieter all around, and you can't hear a metallic twing (Im pretty sure its from the spring), like you can in the K552.

The Dell is interesting. It has a louder space bar, and a much quieter esc. But most keys are the same volume, with a slightly lower clicking pitch.

Build quality winner for me before was the Dell, as it would only bend slightly when trying to. The logitech bent.... quite a bit. The Dell also was much more stable on the keycaps. 

Looking at the Redragon, it just blows the Dell out of the water. It just doesnt bend..... at all. The Redragon also is much more stable on the keycaps, but there still is a fair bit of wobble.  

Typing:

Typing is a weird category for me to test, because, well, I am really bad at it. Like, terrible. So, I'll do my best here.

I was just mainly pressing buttons before plugging it in, but it feels great. The dell and logitech fell mushy, which I guess they are (?).

I wish the switches were like 40g of force, not 47g, but I guess that could be fixed by swapping the ABS caps for heaver ones.

I've gotta go to school now, ill finish this when I get back.

I've been rocking this keyboard for the past 3 years. I've gone through 4 different mice, but I haven't switched the keyboard yet. I'm getting tired of blue switches, but this is still a great keyboard for the price!

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Bump cuz im done.

also @Den-Fi. Im done now. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler