ASUS TUF 3070 OC Coil Whine

Consul

Yesterday I got my hands on the card. I noticed that it was coil whining when I get high frames though it has a weird pattern. When I play Yakuza Kiwami 2 with SSAA x1.25 or above it doesn't coil whine (I get around 140 fps), but as soon as I turn it down to SMAA or lower it starts to coil whine. The card also coil whines no matter what in Red Dead Redemption 2 (I get above 100 fps with Hardware Unboxed optimized settings).

Is this normal? Could it also be the PSU? (I have a Corsair TX750M, bought it in 2017)

As far as the pattern described, that sure sounds 'normal' to me. Not that that's a good thing, it's definitely annoying. I have noticed very weird noises coming from my 3070 at random times during different benchmarks - there is definitely no rhyme or reason to it. 

You could try to RMA the card and take the risk that the replacement is even worse, plus factor in time w/out the card.

As far as 'could it be the PSU', only you and your ears can determine that..

best of luck

2 hours ago, jwwagner25 said:

As far as the pattern described, that sure sounds 'normal' to me. Not that that's a good thing, it's definitely annoying. I have noticed very weird noises coming from my 3070 at random times during different benchmarks - there is definitely no rhyme or reason to it. 

You could try to RMA the card and take the risk that the replacement is even worse, plus factor in time w/out the card.

As far as 'could it be the PSU', only you and your ears can determine that..

best of luck

I have checked the PSU, no coil whines there.

I've done some test on 3DMark and didn't hear any coil whine during the tests so I guess I should use the card a bit more because I feel like its going to go away at some point. I also don't hear the coil whine when my I put on the headset.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting the same problem as well with my ASUS 3070 TUF when playing Warzone or anything that will spike the GPU. I'm doing a burn in with Furmark to hopefully bring the coil whine down. I've ready some people left it running for 8 - 48 hours. 

• 7 months later...

Same Issue here. Getting really loud and nasty coil whine as soon as the load exceeds about 60 - 70%.

I bought this card for my new custom loop water cooled setup that's main goal was to be inaudible. Fail.

Looks like not everybody has this problem. I would try to RMA, but they won't take it with the waterblock already installed.