Problems with FPS when using dual monitor

Markus88

Hey everybody,

My main monitor is a ASUS TUF VG259QM and displays HZ up to 240. My second monitor is a simple old LG 23EA63 and displays HZ up to 60.

I've tested it in a lot of games now but I get the same result every time... my FPS gets cut in half or more when I switch from 1 monitor to 2. (extend option)

For example, in the game Firewatch I have 240 fps on 1 monitor and the moment I switch to two monitors I get 129 fps.

In the game Halo 2 (via the MCC collection) I have in one scene 180 fps on 1 monitor but only 74 when I use two monitors.

I tried turning off the hardware accelaration in discord (was a tip from someone) but had no success there. Tried changing the HZ but results where the same. (Went as low as 100HZ)

I also tried plugging the HDMI cable from the LG second monitor into other slots (gpu and moba) but that did nothing.

I'm at a loss here. Any advice?

Kind regards, Markus

I may be wrong, but I believe it is because your graphics card is having to render twice as many pixels to accommodate for both monitors. Because of this the FPS getting cut in half is completely normal and expected!

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B550 Tomahawk

16GB 3600mHz Trident Z RGB

1650 Super

Fractal Design Meshify C

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

@GamingSeargentAyy I checked that already. Whe nusing 2 monitors you should expect ONLY a drop of 1-2 fps. Tested it with a fried of mine in the same game. He went from 133 fps to 132. I went from 140 to 64 fps.

11 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

are you displaying the game on both monitors? as in stretched out 3840x1080p?

Nahh. I have it extended so I have like 2 desktops. I do it so I can watch like twitch/youtube on the second monitor. But for the purpose of testing, the second monitor is just sitting on an empty desktop.

It's 1920x1080. I also just enabled iGPU which did nothing, sadly.