Radeon Software: Host Application causing abnormal CPU usage and high idle temps

Ratchet7989
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
2 minutes ago, Ratchet7989 said:

Sadly not seeing it

Screenshot_50.png

Screenshot_49.png

Screenshot_48.png

it's "Instant Replay" and it's off

was thinking if u had it on, with desktop capture turned on as well

guess it wasnt the case

then i have no clue other than suggesting a full OS reinstalling if DDU didnt work out for you

wait for other's insights

Been noticing some high CPU idle temps, when going into control panel i notice "Radeon Software: Host Application" utilizing 10-15% of my CPU causing idle temps to hover around 50c (Monitored both in Ryzen Master and CPUID HWMonitor). This is more of an annoyance than a dire situation, but seeing how my normal idle temps were around 36c i would rather not have my CPU experiencing high temps for no reason. Currently running latest AMD Radeon drivers, ver. 20.11.2 I have tried the optional drivers and two sets of previous drivers where this issue was not present to no avail. There is an old fix i found involving creating a Radeon Relive folder in This PC>Videos. Said folder already existed but i tried deleting and remaking a few times, still no change. Finally i tried DDU and doing a fresh install of latest drivers, and again still no change. I would like to add that I recently updated my chipset drivers as well but am unsure if this issue existed before or after doing that and seeing as how this problem is being caused by seemingly the Radeon software i didn't want to mess with anything there until i was sure.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

System Specs

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/YRk6Mp

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Scythe FUMA 2

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

G. Skill Trident Z neo 16 GB 3600 cl 16

Crucial P1 500 GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT

Fractal Design Define C

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W

"I'M ready to go, I'M already wet."

-Linus

tried disabling ReLive?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

tried disabling ReLive?

So i'm either dumb or blind but i do not see where to completely disable ReLive nor does googling seem to be helpful

-Linus

1 minute ago, Ratchet7989 said:

So i'm either dumb or blind but i do not see where to completely disable ReLive nor does googling seem to be helpful

i dont have radeon software now, but it's in there

the cog icon on top right iirc, then there's a tab for it

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i dont have radeon software now, but it's in there

the cog icon on top right iirc, then there's a tab for it

Sadly not seeing it

Screenshot_50.png

Screenshot_49.png

Screenshot_48.png

-Linus

2 minutes ago, Ratchet7989 said:

Sadly not seeing it

Screenshot_50.png

Screenshot_49.png

Screenshot_48.png

it's "Instant Replay" and it's off

was thinking if u had it on, with desktop capture turned on as well

guess it wasnt the case

then i have no clue other than suggesting a full OS reinstalling if DDU didnt work out for you

21 hours ago, Moonzy said:

OS re-install worked, just wish there was an easier way that guaranteed it wont happen again.

-Linus

• 2 months later...

Old topic, but this issue is alive.
I've found a solution (that works for me). Using the 
ProcessMonitor from Microsoft SysInternals with autoscroll enable, I can see the "Radeon Software: Host Application" process in a loop trying to find some directories, all of them from uninstalled games that still have an empty folder (thanks, Steam :(). In my case are in the same base path "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common", the folders "Destiny 2", "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" and "RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS 2". Since all this three folders are empty, when I finish delete the last one, the Radeon Software become 0% of CPU usage.
Again, this work for me and the folders may vary but I think you can try that. :)

On 3/3/2021 at 9:49 AM, ljbitzki said:

Old topic, but this issue is alive.
I've found a solution (that works for me). Using the 
ProcessMonitor from Microsoft SysInternals with autoscroll enable, I can see the "Radeon Software: Host Application" process in a loop trying to find some directories, all of them from uninstalled games that still have an empty folder (thanks, Steam :(). In my case are in the same base path "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common", the folders "Destiny 2", "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" and "RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS 2". Since all this three folders are empty, when I finish delete the last one, the Radeon Software become 0% of CPU usage.
Again, this work for me and the folders may vary but I think you can try that. :)

Thanks for insight. Its hasn't happened to me again for awhile but this makes sense since a clean windows install fixed this, essentially nuking all dead pathways. If it happens again i will have to see what dead pathways i have

-Linus