My GTX 1060 gets way to hot and even throttles (Cooling Advice)

Hello. As the title suggests, I've been running into issues with my 1060 running too hot, up to 82 degrees before it starts to throttle. I have tried numerous things to improve the temperatures but I'm out of ideas and need some advice. So let me start by describing my system. The GPU in question is an EVGA 1060 6gb (non SC). I'm running a Ryzen 5 1600 with the stock cooler on a mini ITX board in a Phanteks Evolv Mini ITX enclosure.

Now, I understand mini ITX PCs get hot, but my case has a 200mm intake fan in the front, and a 120mm exhaust fan in the back, and their seems to be plenty of airflow, not to mention the system is plenty noisy with all the fans running. I have adjusted the gpu fan curve to be much more aggressive. At idle it runs at 40% and at its hottest 82 degrees the fan is at 84%. I also changed the thermal paste since I got the card back in 2017 but that has made no difference. I also removed the plastic shroud because why not. I think the real problem is with the absolutely garbage cooler on the gpu. I mean EVGA realy cheaped out on this one and it shows.

So I guess the question is what should I try to bring this things temperatures down? I'm open to suggestions and would appreciate the advice.

IMG_20201202_194940.jpg

re apply thermal past/ place a fan blowing into the heatsink

Just now, Grabhanem said:

Did you take the fan shroud off the card?

theres likely no fan shroud, it's a low end 1060

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

That looks like an OEM card not an EVGA card, like the kind you get inside an HP desktop.

The heat sink is absolutely tiny, if you increase the temp target to 85 and possibly lower the power limits a little you'll probably see some more consistent clock speeds.

But when you say thermal throttle, what are the exact symptoms? Are you dropping below 1500 MHz or something?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

re apply thermal past/ place a fan blowing into the heatsink

theres likely no fan shroud, it's a low end 1060

I've never seen a 1060 without a shroud. My best guess at the card here is this one:

The Hardware Breakdown: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 — Tekspecz.com

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

That looks like an OEM card not an EVGA card, like the kind you get inside an HP desktop.

The heat sink is absolutely tiny, if you increase the temp target to 85 and possibly lower the power limits a little you'll probably see some more consistent clock speeds.

But when you say thermal throttle, what are the exact symptoms? Are you dropping below 1500 MHz or something?

The reason it looks like that is because I took off the plastic cover because I was desperate to try something but yea its an EVGA card. The throttling I'm running into acts like this. If I'm running a game in a spot that has the gpu at 99%, it reaches 82 degrees under 3 minutes and at that point I have seen the clock speed as low as 1500 MHz and even a noticeable reduction in frame rate too. The boost clock for the card is 1800 MHz.

3 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

I've never seen a 1060 without a shroud. My best guess at the card here is this one:

The Hardware Breakdown: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 — Tekspecz.com

Yup, thats the one.

2 minutes ago, Thunder Squirrel said:

The reason it looks like that is because I took off the plastic cover because I was desperate to try something but yea its an EVGA card. The throttling I'm running into acts like this. If I'm running a game in a spot that has the gpu at 99%, it reaches 82 degrees under 3 minutes and at that point I have seen the clock speed as low as 1500 MHz and even a noticeable reduction in frame rate too. The boost clock for the card is 1800 MHz.

if you reduce the power target you might get somewhere between 1700 and 1800 more often. Though, those low end EVGA cards aren't known for throttling badly so you might want to consider repasting the GPU, in case something is wrong.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

if you reduce the power target you might get somewhere between 1700 and 1800 more often. Though, those low end EVGA cards aren't known for throttling badly so you might want to consider repasting the GPU, in case something is wrong.

I actually just replaced the thermal paste today. Everything looked right when I had it apart, but something has to be wrong don't you think?

Your cases front panel seems pretty restrictive with airflow, try removing it and see if the temps go down at all.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

8 minutes ago, MoonlightSylv said:

Your cases front panel seems pretty restrictive with airflow, try removing it and see if the temps go down at all.

Yeah the front panel dosnt let much air through, but I removed it and ran another test and sure enough it shot right up to 82 degrees unfortunately.

Another use with the same EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming reported similar 82*C/83*C high temperature issues.

(Linking the thread for reference, please do not revive a thread from 2016).

I think it's just a bad cooler vs the 2-fan ACX cooler.

The heatsink on the GTX 1060 Gaming is tiny...

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

4 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Another use with the same EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming reported similar 82*C/83*C high temperature issues.

(Linking the thread for reference, please do not revive a thread from 2016).

I think it's just a bad cooler vs the 2-fan ACX cooler.

The heatsink on the GTX 1060 Gaming is tiny...

So realy it seems like the heatsink and fan is just not enough for this card. Is there any relatively simple way to upgrade the cooling?

7 minutes ago, Thunder Squirrel said:

So realy it seems like the heatsink and fan is just not enough for this card. Is there any relatively simple way to upgrade the cooling?

Probably nothing worth the money. Simply putting a fan onit,and keeping the panel open might be your cheapest method.
Or Water cool it, but at that price youll be outspending the worth of your card

11 minutes ago, Thunder Squirrel said:

You can look at aftermarket cooling options.

Use something like a NZXT G12 bracket, and use an AIO (single 120mm / 140mm should be good) to cool the card.

No need to go 240mm / 360mm / 480mm AIO...that's overkill.

https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g12-white

Or an aftermarket cooler...like something from Arctic Cooling, for example.

The compact ones should be good enough...the 3x fans ones are overkill for a GTX 1060 IMO.

https://www.arctic.ac/en/products/cooling/gpu-cooler/

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

can't he just slap two noctua fans on it, that should improve things? 

Also new thermal paste for sure. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer