Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have an old GTX 970 sitting around collecting dust. Are there any uses for it in a single system?

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
37 minutes ago, Taco Annihilator said:

I'm thinking of slapping it in my system and using it strictly for NVENC encoding since OBS allows you to choose a GPU to record with. Would I gain any benefit from the card this way?

No, the encoder of the 2060 is way better and the encoding unit of the GPU already doesn't take a performance hit out of the GPU performance.

I have an old GTX 970 lying around and I've yet to find a buyer in the last year. I'm thinking of slapping it in my system and using it strictly for NVENC encoding since OBS allows you to choose a GPU to record with. Would I gain any benefit from the card this way? Are there any other uses for a secondary GPU? I'll likely be going to Ryzen 5000 series early next year with a better GPU and PSU and don't want another expensive paper weight.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600

32GB DDR4 3200

RTX 2060

X570 mobo

650 Watt Gold PSU

Folding, a VM, maybe even some crypto mining (though I'm not sure it could pay for it's own electricity). 

My System: 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC •  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White) • ASUS VG27AQ • Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum • Logitech G502 Hero

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

37 minutes ago, Taco Annihilator said:

I'm thinking of slapping it in my system and using it strictly for NVENC encoding since OBS allows you to choose a GPU to record with. Would I gain any benefit from the card this way?

No, the encoder of the 2060 is way better and the encoding unit of the GPU already doesn't take a performance hit out of the GPU performance.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad