Unable to connect to internet.

Skyline01

Hey guys,

So im having a very irritating issue. My pc will not connect to my wifi. It was fine and then all of a sudden it won't connect to the internet. Iv been searching the internet for days trying to fix it to no avail. 

Everything else I have connects with no issues. Xbox, switch, phones, fire sticks everything. I can connect to the network but not internet. 

I did a quick reinstall of windows and it worked for maybe 10 minutes then stopped again. Please help. I have no idea what I'm doing haha

7 minutes ago, Skyline01 said:

I have no idea what I'm doing haha

Specs and OS, please

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

So you can connect to Wi-Fi but not internet? If you open up CMD and run:

ipconfig /all

Do you have an IP from your router? Do you have a Default Gateway? Do you have DNS servers listed?

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Specs and OS, please

Ryzen 7 3700x

Rtx 2080 gaming trio

32gb corsair vegence pro 3200

Asus rog x570 f

Windows 10

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So you can connect to Wi-Fi but not internet? If you open up CMD and run:

ipconfig /all

Do you have an IP from your router? Do you have a Default Gateway? Do you have DNS servers listed?

I can see the ipv6 address, ipv4, subnet mask and default gateway. Next to where it says connection-specific DNS suffix is blank

3 minutes ago, Skyline01 said:

I can see the ipv6 address, ipv4, subnet mask and default gateway. Next to where it says connection-specific DNS suffix is blank

You would want to see an entry that says:

DNS Servers. . .

Usually below your DHCP server entries.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You would want to see an entry that says:

DNS Servers. . .

Usually below your DHCP server entries.

Yes its there. Sorry I entered the wrong command at first. 

3 minutes ago, Skyline01 said:

Yes its there. Sorry I entered the wrong command at first. 

So it lists DNS server(s). Try the following pings and tell me if either succeed:

ping 8.8.8.8
ping www.google.com

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So it lists DNS server(s). Try the following pings and tell me if either succeed:

ping 8.8.8.8
ping www.google.com

Destination net unreachable when I ping 8.8 8.8

When I ping www.google.com it says ping request could not find host

2 minutes ago, Skyline01 said:

Can you post the whole output from the ipconfig /all command? Might be something obvious we can spot.

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Can you post the whole output from the ipconfig /all command? Might be something obvious we can spot.

20201202_165204.jpg

1 minute ago, Skyline01 said:

20201202_165204.jpg

I'm assuming you don't have a sperate DNS or DHCP server and that both are running off the router. If so, your DNS server is not pointing to the router as it (most likely) should be. 

You can try the below commands:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If still no luck, you can manually set DNS servers by opening network settings and clicking adapter properties. Right click your WiFi connection and select properties. In the list, select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click properties. On the general tab, select the radial for "Use the following DNS Server addresses" and enter 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.7.1 in the boxes. Click OK, click OK. 

You could also look at the DHCP settings on your router if you have access to see what DNS server it's assigning. 

9 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I'm assuming you don't have a sperate DNS or DHCP server and that both are running off the router. If so, your DNS server is not pointing to the router as it (most likely) should be. 

You can try the below commands:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If still no luck, you can manually set DNS servers by opening network settings and clicking adapter properties. Right click your WiFi connection and select properties. In the list, select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click properties. On the general tab, select the radial for "Use the following DNS Server addresses" and enter 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.7.1 in the boxes. Click OK, click OK. 

You could also look at the DHCP settings on your router if you have access to see what DNS server it's assigning. 

I dont know if this helps but in adapter settings is says ipv6 no network access. Also in my router settings is say ipv6 DNS then its just blank

25 minutes ago, Skyline01 said:

Sounds like a DNS issue and as stated above your router is playing the role of your DNS server. If this works for your other network devices there isn't a reason it shouldn't work for your client here. Regardless you can try specifying your own DNS servers such as Cloudflare (1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1) or Google (8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4) and see if the behavior changes.

1 minute ago, Skyline01 said:

I dont know if this helps but in adapter settings is says ipv6 no network access. Also in my router settings is say ipv6 DNS then its just blank

Don't worry about IPv6. You can disable it if you want, there's no reason to use it on a home network. IPv4 is what you need working.

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Don't worry about IPv6. You can disable it if you want, there's no reason to use it on a home network. IPv4 is what you need working.

Ok. Did I mention that it works if I plug directly into it with an eitherney cable?

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Sounds like a DNS issue and as stated above your router is playing the role of your DNS server. If this works for your other network devices there isn't a reason it shouldn't work for your client here. Regardless you can try specifying your own DNS servers such as Cloudflare (1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1) or Google (8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4) and see if the behavior changes.

Where would I change it?

5 minutes ago, Skyline01 said:

Ok. Did I mention that it works if I plug directly into it with an eitherney cable?

Could be a physical adapter issue then. If Ethernet is easy for you I'd stick with that.

Where would I change it?

Network Connections -> Adapter Properties -> Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Could be a physical adapter issue then. If Ethernet is easy for you I'd stick with that.

Network Connections -> Adapter Properties -> Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4

I have a few adapters. None of them will work. In the trouble shooter it just says DNS server isn't responding. 

I have a few adapters. None of them will work. In the trouble shooter it just says DNS server isn't responding. 

Are you using the Windows included driver or are you downloading the one for your adapter? Are they USB or PCI_e?

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Are you using the Windows included driver or are you downloading the one for your adapter? Are they USB or PCI_e?

I was using an asus PCIe one when this problem started. Downloaded the drivers from there website. I switched to a USB netgear one after. Also got the drivers from netgears website. 

14 minutes ago, Skyline01 said:

I was using an asus PCIe one when this problem started. Downloaded the drivers from there website. I switched to a USB netgear one after. Also got the drivers from netgears website. 

Huh, and you already tried nuking your install which only sort of helped for a little while. Well, try switching DNS servers next. See if that does anything.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Huh, and you already tried nuking your install which only sort of helped for a little while. Well, try switching DNS servers next. See if that does anything.

So I switched to Google dns server and reset my pc. The internet worked for about a minute then stopped. 

23 minutes ago, Skyline01 said:

So I switched to Google dns server and reset my pc. The internet worked for about a minute then stopped. 

If you run ipconfig /all again does it show Google's DNS or your router IP again?