PC not powering on with a particular graphics card

Rengadra
Go to solution Solved by Rengadra,

I got a new PC case and moved my system over from the old case I had but when I turned it on after the swap it would not boot up. I'll throw the specs here before continuing.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450m DS3H

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 16GB (2x8)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 550w

GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire RX590 NITRO+

And back to the problem. I have gone through a good bunch of the basic troubleshooting steps. Reseated the ram and the graphics card. Unplugged everything and plugged everything back in. After a while I decided to try booting without the graphics card and what do you know, the PC lit up and fans started spinning like normal. The ryzen doesn't have an integrated gpu so I couldn't check if it was actually booting up, but this was still the farthest I managed to get.

After that I tried plugging in a old gtx 950 to see if it actually would start up with a different graphics card. It did without a problem. Got to bios and even to windows without any issues.

At this point I thought that the graphics card was the issue so I tried throwing it in to a diffrent pc. That pc booted up to bios just fine (I don't have windows on that machine. It runs ubuntu from a stick.)

So my main pc just doesn't seem to like the RX 590 for some reason. I even tried to use the psu from the other system to power everything in my main system with the original graphics card in but that did nothing as well.

I've tried a different set of pcie power cables as well with no change.

I really don't know what else to try anymore. Nor do I know what part is actually the problem. My guess at this point is either the gpu or the motherboard but I can't figure out which one the actual culprit is here.

Edit: as a bit of an update the system doesn't seem to boot up even with a the gtx 950 now. It does turn on though which is more than with the RX 590. But now I am suspecting the motherboard more.

I got a new PC case and moved my system over from the old case I had but when I turned it on after the swap it would not boot up. I'll throw the specs here before continuing.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450m DS3H

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 16GB (2x8)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 550w

GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire RX590 NITRO+

And back to the problem. I have gone through a good bunch of the basic troubleshooting steps. Reseated the ram and the graphics card. Unplugged everything and plugged everything back in. After a while I decided to try booting without the graphics card and what do you know, the PC lit up and fans started spinning like normal. The ryzen doesn't have an integrated gpu so I couldn't check if it was actually booting up, but this was still the farthest I managed to get.

After that I tried plugging in a old gtx 950 to see if it actually would start up with a different graphics card. It did without a problem. Got to bios and even to windows without any issues.

At this point I thought that the graphics card was the issue so I tried throwing it in to a diffrent pc. That pc booted up to bios just fine (I don't have windows on that machine. It runs ubuntu from a stick.)

So my main pc just doesn't seem to like the RX 590 for some reason. I even tried to use the psu from the other system to power everything in my main system with the original graphics card in but that did nothing as well.

I've tried a different set of pcie power cables as well with no change.

I really don't know what else to try anymore. Nor do I know what part is actually the problem. My guess at this point is either the gpu or the motherboard but I can't figure out which one the actual culprit is here.

Edit: as a bit of an update the system doesn't seem to boot up even with a the gtx 950 now. It does turn on though which is more than with the RX 590. But now I am suspecting the motherboard more.