can't solve this problem, i7 7740x bad IMC or Motherboard? about to smash entire rig

ivancho

Hello guys  I bought a refurbished aorus gaming 3 X299 motherboard, lga 2066. Then I found a brand new sealed i7 7740x in good price. That motherboard has 8 slots of memory ddr4 2800mhz, after reading the manual I put 2 sticks in the right side of the motherboard.. The memory controller of this cpu only supports dual channel, rendering half of your eight memory slots useless.

The problem with aorus x299 gaming 3 : No post video, pc keeps restarting

But if I put the memory on the other side of the motherboard ta tan, I've video and could boot into windows but then pc starts with freezes, even freezes sometimes in bios. I thought okey maybe its because I'm using those wrong slots and the one I've to use doesn't work.

I tried everything with this board... even updating bios and same results

Then I bought another motherboard an MSI X299m A-pro this motherboard only supports i7 7740x and i5 7640x processors and have 4 slots of memory. I thought well this motherboard is fully compatible with my cpu, problem should be solved.. problem persisted now no video again and z debug led cpu lights up.

At this point I think the problem its the cpu but I bought this sh!t brand new

Memory ram- tested in another pc and works well.

Also tested both board with dif types of ram

I7 7740x 

8 (2 sticks) gb of ram ddr4 XPG 2800mhz 1.2v

Psu Corsair TX550m

MSI GTX 1650 gaming x

CPU cooler Artic 34 eSports

Gigabyte ssd 240gb

1tb WD 7200rpm

Case thermaltake j21

Did you enable XMP?

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Try booting with just single stick of RAM and set your ram speed below what its factory clocks manually (2600 or 2133) then plug rest of the rams in (if your bios clears cmos after adding the rams make sure to set them to speeds I mentioned) try with that. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

Did you enable XMP?

No, I disabled xmp

Are you sure the memory is in the correct channels? I posted two images to make sure you have the two stick in the correct channels with this processor (the ones that are highlighted are the channels that need to be populated with the two sticks of memory). image.png.a0a8e82b66682fc416b3247258817017.pngimage.thumb.png.baedceb0a802b76f6155e2b9c9d0cbb8.png

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

31 minutes ago, Levent said:

Try booting with just single stick of RAM and set your ram speed below what its factory clocks manually (2600 or 2133) then plug rest of the rams in (if your bios clears cmos after adding the rams make sure to set them to speeds I mentioned) try with that. 

Hi thanks for response, I tried already and with dif rams stick , The thing is in the aorus motherboard (the one with 8 memory slots) theres video signal only when put the stick in the left side, but keeps freezing ..in the user manual say for 16 lanes cpu, rams should be placed in the first 4 slots (right side of the board) and when I put there shows no video and dram leds turn on. In the msi x299m a pro (board with only 4 slots of memory and fully compatible only with this cpu and i5 7640x) shows no video and z debug led of cpu turns on

4 minutes ago, ivancho said:

Hi thanks for response, I tried already and with dif rams stick , The thing is in the aorus motherboard (the one with 8 memory slots) theres video output only when put the stick in the left side, but keeps freezing ..in the user manual say for 16 lanes cpu, rams should be placed in the first 4 slots (right side of the board) and when I put there shows no video and dram leds turn on. In the msi x299m a pro (board with only 4 slots of memory and fully compatible only with this cpu and i5 7640x) shows no video and z debug led of cpu turns on

Are there any bent pins in the socket itself? Do the pads on the back of the CPU look ok? Now this motherboard was a manufacturer refurbished and not a seller refurbished? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Are you sure the memory is in the correct channels? I posted two images to make sure you have the two stick in the correct channels with this processor (the ones that are highlighted are the channels that need to be populated with the two sticks of memory). image.png.a0a8e82b66682fc416b3247258817017.pngimage.thumb.png.baedceb0a802b76f6155e2b9c9d0cbb8.png

I tried this, and I had video signal.. could boot into win10 but pc keeps freezing. I will make a try again to be sure. I thought memory sticks should be on the other side , I  read the manual but its difficult to understand memory slots order. In the other motherboard the msi x299m a pro with only 4 memory slots I have no video signal and z debug led cpu turns on Thank you very much Sorry for my english

8 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Are there any bent pins in the socket itself? Do the pads on the back of the CPU look ok? Now this motherboard was a manufacturer refurbished and not a seller refurbished? 

manufacturer refurbished no bent pins on the aorus... and in the msi x299 theres no bent pins too

6 minutes ago, ivancho said:

I tried this, and I had video signal.. could boot into win10 but pc keeps freezing. I will make a try again to be sure. I thought memory sticks should be on the other side , I  read the manual but its difficult to understand memory slots order. In the other motherboard the msi x299m a pro with only 4 memory slots I have no video signal and z debug led cpu turns on Thank you very much Sorry for my english

No worries, I hope I broke it down easily for you to understand for the Aorus motherboard. For the MSI X299 I'll have to read the manual to see how they would like them. 

6 minutes ago, ivancho said:

manufacturer refurbished no bent pins on the aorus... and in the msi x299 theres no bent pins too

Ok, was just ruling out if there was a possibility of an issue there. 

Ok for the MSI X299M A-PRO DIMM slots with 2 sticks of RAM, one stick should be in the second slot away from the CPU socket and the second stick should be in the slot the furthest away from the CPU socket, so DIMMA1 and DIMMB1 (Highlighted in green). 

image.thumb.png.0cbef8bdf80cf59cee47c26dec6a405e.png

2 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Ok for the MSI X299M A-PRO DIMM slots with 2 sticks of RAM, one stick should be in the second slot away from the CPU socket and the second stick should be in the slot the furthest away from the CPU socket, so DIMMA1 and DIMMB1 (Highlighted in green). 

image.thumb.png.0cbef8bdf80cf59cee47c26dec6a405e.png

Currently testing on aorus gaming 3 with a dif gpu (r7 370) with rams in same slot as your marked and is working fine after an 1hour but didn't installed gpu drivers... I will wait a little more and give an update.. Thank you very much for your support

IMG_20201202_164834.jpg

Just now, ivancho said:

Currently testing on aorus gaming 3 with a dif gpu (r7 370) with rams in same slot as your marked and is working fine after an 1hour but didn't installed gpu drivers... I will wait a little more and give an update.. Thank you very much for your support

IMG_20201202_164834.jpg

Anytime!! I'm glad so far everything is working with the Aorus. I'll still be here if anything changes. 

21 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Anytime!! I'm glad so far everything is working with the Aorus. I'll still be here if anything changes. 

It frozes again, after that..I Tested enabling xmp and freezes faster this time.. will test with another pair of ram (crucial 2133 x 2 sticks)

5 hours ago, ivancho said:

It frozes again, after that..I Tested enabling xmp and freezes faster this time.. will test with another pair of ram (crucial 2133 x 2 sticks)

See if you have better luck with better RAM. 

On 12/2/2020 at 11:37 PM, CommanderAlex said:

See if you have better luck with better RAM. 

Currently with the same problem.. I've tested with diff pair of ram, every time system freezes, continue to happen but in lesser time.. Then I tested again with  the other motherboard (msi x299m pro a)and can't even get video signal. I think I will give up n this one because I completely runned out of money. The only part I can rma is the msi motherboard and not sure if its convenient since shipping  would cost me a lot. If just I could go back in time and buy a crappy i3 10100 with a descent cheap motherboard, Thank you for the support

2 minutes ago, ivancho said:

Currently with the same problem.. I've tested with diff pair of ram, every time system freezes, continue to happen but in lesser time.. Then I tested again with  the other motherboard (msi x299m pro a)and can't even get video signal. I think I will give up n this one because I completely runned out of money. The only part I can rma is the msi motherboard and not sure if its convenient since shipping  would cost me a lot. If just I could go back in time and buy a crappy i3 10100 with a descent cheap motherboard, Thank you for the support

Hey no problem, perhaps the issue is with the processor since it seems like it refuses to run at all and just give issues (memory controller).