Motherboard buyig advice

Hello there,

I'm looking for a motherboard to go with 5600x.

Build it mostly for gaming.

After looking at many threads,review and YT channels, I realise I really don't need x570, a B550 should be good enough.

It, one day, gen 4 nvme becomes something for gaming, my rig should be really old or, if not, I could use the M.2 slot connected to the cpu. That is not a problem then.

I saw VRMs are no concern on many good boards, so that is another no problem.

My only concerns are.... actual prices and IO.

Looking at good budget B550, nearly everything is good but IO is so trash.

Actually, I'm thorn between those two choices :

Asus Strix b500-F. I can have it for 190€. Good VRMs, good audio chipset, good features all around.

But I can have, too, x570 Tomahawk for 220€.

Reading some threads, some says that x570 is a no brainer at this price point because B550 around 180-200€ are in x570 entry level territory. That is true.

What is your advice about good features B550 vs x570 ? 

My opinion is that I'm sure to use extra features like good audio but not X570 pcie 4.0 features. The ones provided by the cpu are enough.

Thank you very much for the reading. And thank you if you can proven good advice on other models.

The Asus Strix B550-F is probably a better choice here.  There's no reason to spend the extra on a X570 unles you really, really need the few extra features. 

1 minute ago, Salt Shaker said:

x570 is a no brainer at this price point because B550 around 180-200€ are in x570 entry level territory.

That is walse. b550-F is more in high end x570 board level like the tomahawk. Anyway both of those are very overkill. I owuld streictly get the b550-f for its rgb, sicne i do not need 2x pcie 4.0 ssds.

How does msi b550 A-pro or msi mortar or asus tuf b550 wifi? Do they have the features you like?

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

18 minutes ago, Salt Shaker said:

Asus Strix b500-F

This.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Salt Shaker said:

What is your advice about good features B550 vs x570 ? 

Main difference between B550 and X570 is that on X570, the lanes that are wired to the cpu and to the chipset are gen 4 (Assuming you're using a zen 2/3 chip),on B550, the lanes that are wired to the cpu are gen 4, but the lanes that are wired to the chipset are gen 3. 

Unless you need the extra gen 4 lanes on X570, you're not missing out by going with a B550 board. 

What are you powering? budget? and location and currency? 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

You have Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro is 195 euro : Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (B550 AORUS PRO) - PCPartPicker

IMHO better than Asus B550F Gaming ... more usb connectors on the io shield, has 3 pci-e x16 slots ( x16, x4, x2 electrically)

Negatives... has only one video output, if you'll ever think of using an APU chip and multiple displays.

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 is around 167 euro and would be perfect for a 5600 , but a bit hot with a 5900 / 5950 if you'll ever want to upgrade.

Lots of mATX boards that are cheaper and with decent features, in the 150-180 euro range

Look for  MSI B550M Mortar, Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro,  if you don't mind losing usb type c and/or 10gbps usb on the io shield then there's even more options.

29 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

That is walse. b550-F is more in high end x570 board level like the tomahawk. Anyway both of those are very overkill. I owuld streictly get the b550-f for its rgb, sicne i do not need 2x pcie 4.0 ssds.

How does msi b550 A-pro or msi mortar or asus tuf b550 wifi? Do they have the features you like?

Thank you for answering :) I was about getting the Mortar but 5 USB is a no-no. I need 7 of USB. That is the only reason I did not get this one.

Asus TUF is good but there is only 10€ difference between this and strix-f here... As I prefer Strix F aesthetic, I would spend those 10€.

14 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

This.

I saw you have the Strix F :D. Thank for the advice.

11 minutes ago, Haro said:

Main difference between B550 and X570 is that on X570, the lanes that are wired to the cpu and to the chipset are gen 4 (Assuming you're using a zen 2/3 chip),on B550, the lanes that are wired to the cpu are gen 4, but the lanes that are wired to the chipset are gen 3. 

Unless you need the extra gen 4 lanes on X570, you're not missing out by going with a B550 board. 

What are you powering? budget? and location and currency? 

Always nice to have a tech summary ;) I know that and that's why I don't really bother with x570.

CPU seems enough.

Waiting for PSU to be available. Can't have choices/good prices atm. May have a 650w psu but not sure if it will be a bit thight for 5600x+3080+peripherals+2 x nvme 3.0

Got a... good budget. Like I can have x570 Unify, no problem. But I dont wanna spend for things I really dont need. Was convince to have it because of the look and get back to heart and remember I can do better.

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You have Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro is 195 euro : Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (B550 AORUS PRO) - PCPartPicker

IMHO better than Asus B550F Gaming ... more usb connectors on the io shield, has 3 pci-e x16 slots ( x16, x4, x2 electrically)

Negatives... has only one video output, if you'll ever think of using an APU chip and multiple displays.

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 is around 167 euro and would be perfect for a 5600 , but a bit hot with a 5900 / 5950 if you'll ever want to upgrade.

Lots of mATX boards that are cheaper and with decent features, in the 150-180 euro range

Look for  MSI B550M Mortar, Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro,  if you don't mind losing usb type c and/or 10gbps usb on the io shield then there's even more options.

Thank for your advice :)

I prefer to avoid mATX boards. I like to have an ATX size. It does not give me the feeling of having an empty case.

I heard that Gigabyte doesn't have a good BIOs compare to Asus/Msi. Is that correct ?

The only complaints I ever heard were related to the dual bios feature : if you overclock and for some reason the board doesn't start or reboots too much, the board switches to the 2nd bios without telling you, so it can be confusing to some overclockers when they "lose" overclocking profiles (because the profile is on first bios chip, and they booted from 2nd bios chip)

I had Asrock and Gigabyte boards in the past, I've also had an Asus board - my opinion is that Asus is not what it was in the past, and you pay a bunch more for brand, but you don't really get as much value.

I'm 100% sure you won't have any issues with BIOS and the suggested Gigabyte boards. 

Ok. I will have a good look at those boards, then.

One thing is sure, my choice will be B550.

17 minutes ago, Salt Shaker said:

If you can afford something like a unify I'm going to assume your budget is somewhere between 250-300ish euros. 

If so: 

Spoiler
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard €217.90 @ LDLC
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total €217.90
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-02 15:53 CET+0100  
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard €195.19 @ Cdiscount
  Total €195.19
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard €132.44 @ TopAchat
  Total €132.44

To give some more options, Or the X570 tomahawk or the B550 strix f, the two boards that you mentioned above. 

All of these boards are good. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

5 hours ago, Salt Shaker said:

I saw you have the Strix F :D. Thank for the advice.

6 hours ago, Haro said:

I dont. I want tho...

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

At last, I think I'll go for B550 Aorus Pro. And it have really nice IO.

Thanks to everyone that came here and help. Much appreciated.