Gaming etc. build (when parts become available)

Cartridge

Budget (including currency): $3k~ USD (negotiable if I can talk my wife into letting me spend a bit more if necessary)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Cyberpunk

Potentially Borderlands 3, Destiny 2, other fps's

Also planning on doing some light video editing and some GIS work when I begin my PhD next fall.

Other details

Already have the Noctua cooler. I think this is the motherboard most people were recommending pre-Ryzen 3 launch, I'm assuming it is still the go to. Unsure about the specifiic memory, but planning on 64gb of RAM. The power supply currently on the list is essentially a placeholder. Will take recommendations on all of that.

Planning on a Ryzen 5800 (imagine that would be best for this budget) and an RTX 3080 as ray tracing seems to be way better with NVIDIA currently.

Would it be better to step up the monitor from whats currently listed to the 4k variant?

Appreciate any recommendations. Trying to get the plan squared away for the eventuality of the major parts actually becoming available soonish.

12 minutes ago, Cartridge said:

If you're crazy like me you'd get a 4k 120hz 40" display, with like a 3060ti(DLSS) because you're going to have that display longer than a few GPUs.

You'll want to look more into your RAM, for something 3200mhz CL14 or 3600mhz CL16

And that SSD isn't worth it, there's plenty of 1TB options around $100 even SATA SSDs are still plenty fast

And that power supply is horrifically overpriced lol

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, trying to get some pricing together and leaning towards the 5900 since most people seem to be saying to spend the extra $100 on it over the 5800 bc of the large increase in performance given the pricing.

Swapped out to a different memory set so hope those will work better.

Would this monitor be a solid one that will last me for awhile? 4k version of the 1440p one that was recommended earlier this year, just figure, even if I cant take full advantage of the 144hz 4k on AAA games, I can definitely pull it off on some older games I'll end up playing.

Thoughts?