Looking for some GPU options.... my R9 290 is getting old

TheNuzziNuzz
Go to solution Solved by TheNuzziNuzz,
3 hours ago, Downkey said:

A used 1080ti will do you just fine, as it's around 300 - 450 used

4 hours ago, Shabba said:

A used 1660 Super off ebay is great bang for buck.

3 hours ago, Downkey said:

A used 1080ti will do you just fine, as it's around 300 - 450 used

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah true, which is why right now upgrading a pc might not be the best idea, especially before the holidays. 

1-2 months ago it looked a lot better, but alas... 

I would recommend to wait until jan/feb to make the decision tbh 

5 hours ago, igormp said:

ML is mostly FP operations (unless they're using some network that has gone through quantization), so Ampere does bring tons of benefits.

Even if the workload had a mix of INT+FP (hence working just like Turing), there would still be a perf increase due to the new arch with higher IPC anyway, not to mention the newer tensor cores that have some nice features.

Also applies to inference, but that's not really relevant since inference is mostly done on end devices. Training is more relevant for performance numbers because that's where devs/researchers spend most of their time on.

On 12/2/2020 at 4:29 PM, Action_Johnson said:

Do you really need it right now? 

If you're using software that actively takes advantage of Tensor and CUDA, AMD should be completely off the table. 

On 12/2/2020 at 3:42 PM, LadyFelina said:

I wouldn't mind doing this... where can I find them at this price?

Except I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to upgrade later? Or could I get the same mobo/etc. that would work with a 3060 and use it today with a Fury? 

On 12/2/2020 at 3:39 PM, Duckster said:

"When you check out the Q&A of 3060 ti..." image.png.6b669a2f578017a12080f447ff09d9d8.png

This is actually real

I found 2 1080s for $400 total locally. They work. WHAT

So as we know, the market is pretty weird right now with everything going on, but I'm in need of an upgrade so I want to look at my options.

Price range is something between $300 and $1000 USD. I know that's a weird range and ill explain why

I've been running an R9 290 for a few years, I game occasionally, but primarily I do workstation tasks / video rendering / programming. Recently i've been getting in AI for one of my businesses, and I realized that Tensorflow only works with Nvidia GPUs. I also have started getting into 3d design, and the softwares just don't seem to take advantage of my AMD GPU.

My CPU is i5 8600k (I get like 4.5ghz), 32GB ram. And a few terabytes of SSD storage. This is my power supply: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kKFPxr/raidmax-power-supply-rx700gh I know it looks sketchy but its actually quite awesome. 

Given my outdated Graphics platform, I don't even know where to start. Almost anything even on the low $200 end of new GPUs now seems to beat the 290 I have now. I'm a big fan of bang for the buck, but I'm not sure where that even exists today. Looking for some education and guidance.

From my research it seems nVidia has much better software support. I'm also totally open to used GPUs, back when I built computers I always used used GPUs and 95% of the time they worked amazing, like the 290 I have now that I got for $100 2 years ago.

Final note! I have 3 HDMI monitors (thinking about upgrading them too) connected via 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, 1 Displayport on my GPU with active adapters. I've also heard about new display port hubs?

Thank you guys!

Computers r fun

Id just get a 3080 if you can, or a 3070 if you want to save a few bucks. Might want a better psu though, 700w is pushing it, esp with a cpu oc, and how those gpu like power peaks. THose gpus are still pretty hard to get though. Get a 2080 if you need a gpu today.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just get a 3080 if you can, or a 3070 if you want to save a few bucks. Might want a better psu though, 700w is pushing it, esp with a cpu oc, and how those gpu like power peaks. THose gpus are still pretty hard to get though. Get a 2080 if you need a gpu today.

Its not that easy though, as you can't find these GPUs for their retail if at all.

I'm seeing them for over 1k, which so isn't worth it to me.

Computers r fun

Just now, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Its not that easy though, as you can't find these GPUs for their retail if at all.

Can you wait? I know people who have bought them recently at stores. There getting more common.

18 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I'm seeing them for over 1k, which so isn't worth it to me.

If you're fast enough, you might be able to snatch a 3060 ti for 400$ tommorow..... 

Edited by Duckster
Edit: 3060 ti is supposedly faster than a 2080 super and has the same technologies as the more expensive 3070 and up.

21 minutes ago, Duckster said:

If you're fast enough, you might be able to snatch a 3060 ti for 400$ tommorow..... 

Thats a good idea....Maybe i'll stay up til 1 am 

Do they go to retails stores like bestbuy & staples?

Computers r fun

1 minute ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-8gb-gddr6-pci-express-4-0-graphics-card-steel-and-black/6439402.p?skuId=6439402

you might be able to schedule a meet in person (on the link) and you will be able to buy it online... SIKE! Bots will take them before you can (unless you make a bot of your own).

@Duckster The scalper market is getting over saturated and probably going to crash spectacularly after Christmas. Apparently Xbox Series consoles are already only scalping a couple hundred over retail, and there's something like another 5 million PS5's coming in the next month or so. I'm also starting to see Ryzen 5800X chips stay in stock at my local retailers. Add to that the 6700 cards, 6900 cards, the 3060 cards, and the continuing flow of 6800 and 3080/3090 cards, there's just not enough cash to corner all those markets for much longer. 

On cards, I'd also look at used 1080 Ti's and 2080 Ti's. The 1080 Ti is still an excellent card for 1080p gaming, and has been dropping in price steadily as people swap out theirs for 3080's. I'd guess they'll end up in the $300 range once 30 and 6000 series cards start coming out in force. 

2 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Best buy doesn't carry new hardware in store for months after launch. They didn't have any 3080, 3070, 6800 at the store. 

I got my 3070 on the best buy app though and did in store pickup, they just have to ship it there.     They could Land anytime after midnight tonight maybe 8-9am eastern I'm guessing 

2 hours ago, Duckster said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-8gb-gddr6-pci-express-4-0-graphics-card-steel-and-black/6439402.p?skuId=6439402

you might be able to schedule a meet in person (on the link) and you will be able to buy it online... SIKE! Bots will take them before you can (unless you make a bot of your own).

Best buy has the pretty solid anti bot protection, once you see the item in stock and hit add to cart it makes you wait a few minutes with the notification "waiting for more inventory" after the waiting period then you can add to cart and checkout. 

Demand is high you just need to be lucky to be there when they drop everything.  Two Thursdays ago I was checking at 11am eastern it went from nothing in stock to everything including tons of 3070 and even 3080 FE.     

I tried to get the 3070FE but was too slow checking out it wouldn't finish when I hit submit, but luckily I went back and got a gigabyte 3070.

Of course after I finished paying for my 3070 I went to see if anything was left and the 3080FE was ready to be added to cart and pay. Oh well. I got something. 

2 hours ago, 901-Memphis said:

Best buy has the pretty solid anti bot protection, once you see the item in stock and hit add to cart it makes you wait a few minutes with the notification "waiting for more inventory" after the waiting period then you can add to cart and checkout. 

Demand is high you just need to be lucky to be there when they drop everything.  Two Thursdays ago I was checking at 11am eastern it went from nothing in stock to everything including tons of 3070 and even 3080 FE.     

I tried to get the 3070FE but was too slow checking out it wouldn't finish when I hit submit, but luckily I went back and got a gigabyte 3070.

Of course after I finished paying for my 3070 I went to see if anything was left and the 3080FE was ready to be added to cart and pay. Oh well. I got something. 

Should I wait for aftermarket cards?

Computers r fun

4 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

they launch at 6am (pst?) 

i'd wait and try and get a 6800xt AIB card, since mid-high end models seem to be beating 3080's with an overclock or rage mode.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

9 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

they launch at 6am (pst?) 

i'd wait and try and get a 6800xt AIB card, since mid-high end models seem to be beating 3080's with an overclock or rage mode.

Yes, but also they don't have CUDA cores...which is what I need for tensorflow

It sucks because I've always leaned AMD, i have over 10 AMD cards in my house and no nVidia...but now that I'm doing so much work that can benefit from CUDA, ray tracing, and nVidia's just plain better software support....

Computers r fun

All the online cards should land at 9am eastern or 6am pacific Tuesday which is tomorrow currently. 

Best buy has AIB cards like the gaming oc 3060 ti for $470. I would just get the founders edition for $399 IMO. 

They have 4 models showing now for the 3060, you can put all them on your wishlist and save your credit card information, obviously you want to be logged in but with this stuff setup all you have to do is open the app go to my account and click saved items then you can easily see what has the yellow add to cart option first. 

You can click add to cart on everything when they launch at 9am and there's a 2-3 minute anti bot timer then whatever pops up again add to cart is what I would buy first, as it's hard to be picky here. 

25 minutes ago, 901-Memphis said:

All the online cards should land at 9am eastern or 6am pacific Tuesday which is tomorrow currently. 

Best buy has AIB cards like the gaming oc 3060 ti for $470. I would just get the founders edition for $399 IMO. 

They have 4 models showing now for the 3060, you can put all them on your wishlist and save your credit card information, obviously you want to be logged in but with this stuff setup all you have to do is open the app go to my account and click saved items then you can easily see what has the yellow add to cart option first. 

You can click add to cart on everything when they launch at 9am and there's a 2-3 minute anti bot timer then whatever pops up again add to cart is what I would buy first, as it's hard to be picky here. 

Awesome, thank you for the advice. How do you know when they launch? I think you mean 9am Eastern Wednesday, it is 11:10 Tuesday right now

Computers r fun

6 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Awesome, thank you for the advice. How do you know when they launch? I think you mean 9am Eastern Wednesday, it is 11:10 Tuesday right now

Oooof yes Wednesday December 2nd yes I'm all out of whack because I was off work Monday! 😂 

6 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Did you get one? Says they are unavailable for me.

I didn't get one, but I saw a delay with best buy on the rx 6800, so it might come later.

1 minute ago, Duckster said:

I didn't get one, but I saw a delay with best buy on the rx 6800, so it might come later.

it still says "comming soon" for me

Computers r fun

10 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

it still says "comming soon" for me

Looking on nvidia's site, it seems everything for the 3060 ti is "coming soon"

here is a list of gpus to look out for, 3060 ti, 3070, 3080, rx 6800, and rx 6800 xt.

don't buy from ebay, there are a ton of scalpers who charge unruly prices.

Edited by Duckster
Edit: 3080 might be pushing the 700w psu since nvidia recommends 750w psu

3 minutes ago, Duckster said:

Looking on nvidia's site, it seems everything for the 3060 ti is "coming soon"

here is a list of gpus to look out for, 3060 ti, 3070, 3080, rx 6800, and rx 6800 xt.

don't buy from ebay, there are a ton of scalpers who charge unruly prices.

yep that's what I'm doing. So nobody got one. They didn't even launch the cards maybe? And yeah I'm not going to be it scalped I'd just wait. 

I slept only 6 hours for this!

Computers r fun

3 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I slept only 6 hours for this!

I'm sorry.... I don't know what to tell you but it seems like you will have to wait until it drops, or if it's out of stock wait until they can restock. This is a pretty idiotic idea, but you can buy a prebuilt with a 3070 and take the gpu and sell the rest....