First time PC Builder. Need Help Finding a GPU That Won't Bottleneck My Monitor. please help?

DaddySanty

Budget (including currency): not too sure (currently at $836, NOT including the GPU)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Triple A Games, Cold War, Valorant, Twitch Streaming, Entertainment

Other details I bought an Alienware 34' 120Hz monitor (the monitor) a couple months back because my friend was moving and needed to get rid of it for cheap. Keep in mind i knew nothing about PC gaming. I bought it for $500 to play on my PS4, A couple months later, I find Linus's channel and would rather make a PC than buy a next-gen console. I started doing research and watching build videos and gained a decent amount of knowledge on pc's. I started to put together a build. I picked out the cheapest parts i think will help me do what i wanted to do comfortably with some "future-proofing" , so I picked some parts which you can find here (The Build) I think I chose most of the things decently, but I'm really stuck on the GPU, I need to find an NVIDIA G-Sync Supporting GPU that will help my monitor run games at (3440 x 1440) (120hz) but isn't hard to find, or incredibly expensive, and that I can use two monitors with, one for the game and one for chat. (I'm planning to buy the parts around February 2021) 

Any helps, tips or recommendations in general would be very helpful.

of course...

overdoing it in the RGB department and spending less on the actual specs.

rly who is gunna see the RGB in a PSU?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

3 minutes ago, wall03 said:

of course...

overdoing it in the RGB department and spending less on the actual specs.

you're right lmao. what do you think i should do?

Welcome to the forums!!!

2 minutes ago, wall03 said:

Sentiments exactly. I would personally drop the RGB on that damn PSU and get a tier A quality unit over tier B. Trust me, I wouldn't want to see a flashy PSU with colors all over it. 

Also, that case has poor airflow in the front. One small section for 3x120MM fans to pull air through??? If you want an actual airflow case, go with the Phanteks Eclipse P400A.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, DaddySanty said:

you're right lmao. what do you think i should do?

Go with an RMx750 (or 850 for overkill and I'll be called out for this with your "future-proofing") as its a great quality unit. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Budget (including currency): not too sure (currently at $836, NOT including the GPU)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Triple A Games, Cold War, Valorant, Twitch Streaming, Entertainment

Other details I bought an Alienware 34' 120Hz monitor (the monitor) a couple months back because my friend was moving and needed to get rid of it for cheap. Keep in mind i knew nothing about PC gaming. I bought it for $500 to play on my PS4, A couple months later, I find Linus's channel and would rather make a PC than buy a next-gen console. I started doing research and watching build videos and gained a decent amount of knowledge on pc's. I started to put together a build. I picked out the cheapest parts i think will help me do what i wanted to do comfortably with some "future-proofing" , so I picked some parts which you can find here (The Build) I think I chose most of the things decently, but I'm really stuck on the GPU, I need to find an NVIDIA G-Sync Supporting GPU that will help my monitor run games at (3440 x 1440) (120hz) but isn't hard to find, or incredibly expensive, and that I can use two monitors with, one for the game and one for chat. (I'm planning to buy the parts around February 2021) 

Any helps, tips or recommendations in general would be very helpful

for 1440p UW at 120Hz, you're looking at 3080 probably, if you want to crank settings to high in most AAA games

availability of it is poor right now, 2080ti could work fine but you'll have to turn down some settings to achieve stable 120 fps

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2k+ at 120hz (I'll just say fps to make it easier) is no small feat on AAA games no less. You'd probably be looking at the top end modern cards like an RTX 3080, 3080 ti. Even then you're pushing future proofing a bit.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

31 minutes ago, DaddySanty said:

this build is pretty outdated, in term of PC that you should be building today

if you havent bought it, i urge you to reconsider your parts choice

6 hours ago, Moonzy said:

this build is pretty outdated, in term of PC that you should be building today

if you havent bought it, i urge you to reconsider your parts choice

what would you recommend instead?

4 minutes ago, DaddySanty said:

what would you recommend instead?

what's your full budget?

maybe you can make a new posts so more people can chip in, as building full system spec isnt my specialty really

7 hours ago, DaddySanty said:

this is a good opening, just have to change a bit of info :D

having a rough estimated budget is nice, say ~$1500-2000, so people know what to build for

7 hours ago, DaddySanty said:

i have ryzen 7 2700x, EVGA rtx 2060 ko ultra, ROG b450-f tomohawk motherboard, coolermaster white 700 watt power supply, NZXT H510 case, 2x140 mm corsair fans, corsair h60 AIO, aoc 24 inch curved 144hz 1ms, this is a great build for 1080p 60fps streaming i use it and it isnt that expensive u could change the case for better cooling but overall its a great pc that keeps a stable fps above 100 on the newest games

Budget (including currency): $1500-2000 (currently at $950, NOT including the GPU)

Other details I bought an Alienware 34' 120Hz monitor (the monitor) a couple months back because my friend was moving and needed to get rid of it for cheap. Keep in mind i knew nothing about PC gaming. I bought it for $500 to play on my PS4, A couple months later, I find Linus's channel and would rather make a PC than buy a next-gen console. I started doing research and watching build videos and gained a decent amount of knowledge on pc's. I started to put together a build. I picked out the cheapest parts i think will help me do what i wanted to do comfortably with some "future-proofing" , so I picked some parts which you can find here (The Build) I think I chose most of the things okay, but I'm really stuck on the GPU, I need to find an NVIDIA G-Sync Supporting GPU that will help my monitor run games at (3440 x 1440) (120hz) but isn't hard to find, or incredibly expensive, and that I can use two monitors with, one for the game and one for chat. (I'm planning to buy the parts around February 2021) 

Budget (including currency): $1500-2000 (currently at $950, NOT including the GPU)

Other details I bought an Alienware 34' 120Hz monitor (the monitor) a couple months back because my friend was moving and needed to get rid of it for cheap. Keep in mind i knew nothing about PC gaming. I bought it for $500 to play on my PS4, A couple months later, I find Linus's channel and would rather make a PC than buy a next-gen console. I started doing research and watching build videos and gained a decent amount of knowledge on pc's. I started to put together a build. I picked out the cheapest parts i think will help me do what i wanted to do comfortably with some "future-proofing" , so I picked some parts which you can find here (The Build) I think I chose most of the things okay, but I'm really stuck on the GPU, I need to find an NVIDIA G-Sync Supporting GPU that will help my monitor run games at (3440 x 1440) (120hz) but isn't hard to find, or incredibly expensive, and that I can use two monitors with, one for the game and one for chat. (I'm planning to buy the parts around February 2021) 

the build you've put together is not good value. the 9700k is obsolete in 2021.

with your budget, i'd do something like this:

A 3080, or the rumoured, upcoming 3080Ti is what I'd look at, considering the fact that the monitor you’ve got supports G-Sync, and that you plan on streaming.

As mentioned above though, the 9700K is quite a poor choice nowadays, since there are better options from both Intel and AMD.

I'd look at something along these lines, for the build:

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

• 1 month later...

Budget (including currency): $800-1200 (currently at $950, NOT including the GPU)

Other details I bought an Alienware 34' 120Hz monitor (the monitor) a couple months back because my friend was moving and needed to get rid of it for cheap. Keep in mind i knew nothing about PC gaming. I bought it for $500 to play on my PS4, A couple months later, I find Linus's channel and would rather make a PC than buy a next-gen console. I started doing research and watching build videos and gained a decent amount of knowledge on pc's. I started to put together a build. I picked out the cheapest parts i think will help me do what i wanted to do comfortably with some "future-proofing" , so I picked some parts which you can find here (The Build) I think I chose most of the things okay, but I'm really stuck on the GPU, I need to find an NVIDIA G-Sync Supporting GPU that will help my monitor run games at (3440 x 1440) (120hz) but isn't impossible to find, or insanely overpriced, and that I can use two monitors with, one for the game and one for chat. (I'm planning to buy the parts around February 2021) 

TL;DR: Need help finding a gpu that will allow my 3440x1440 run triple a games at 120fps

Hmmmm, this is kinda hard because of the budget. But for the budget, you can get a 2060 Super but it might not run 120fps due to the budget. If you raise it a bit, you can get a 3060 ti that can go slight above 120 fps.

I have a geforce rtx 2080 8gb, it plays games on a mix of high with some medium sprinkled in at around 100-120 fps on older triple A games and around 80-110fps on newer ones, the resolution I game at is 2560x1440p. It's performance today would be somewhere between a 3060 ti and a 3070. For what you want to do, it might be better to go with the 3080 over the 3070 as some games are going to see the new consoles and realize that next gen means next gen graphics which runs your GPU even harder.

Over the course of my career in PC retail and as a PC builder, I can let you know right now that future proofing is a lie, it does not work out and you'll simply be wasting your money. Your best solution is to buy the most expensive GPU your budget allows for, and to make it work for you, either by lowering settings or running in a lower resolution for the games that are simply too tough. Spending more money 9/10 times does not get your the performance you want, and it defeats the purpose of why you built the PC in the first place, which is to spend that money on games. Don't forget the $300 difference between each tier of GPU is the same as buying 5 full price triple A titles at full price at launch.

Lastly here's a free tech tip, running an additional monitor for things like a web browser or discord won't hurt your GPU performance, but some programs in the background will still use the GPU and/or CPU even if they're not running on the foreground(the two I mentioned earlier do that). So since your GPU will still take a bit of a hit because you'll be using those programs in the background, don't hesitate to add another monitor to make your experience a more convenient one.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

37 minutes ago, DaddySanty said:

Budget (including currency): $800-1200 (currently at $950, NOT including the GPU)

Other details I bought an Alienware 34' 120Hz monitor (the monitor) a couple months back because my friend was moving and needed to get rid of it for cheap. Keep in mind i knew nothing about PC gaming. I bought it for $500 to play on my PS4, A couple months later, I find Linus's channel and would rather make a PC than buy a next-gen console. I started doing research and watching build videos and gained a decent amount of knowledge on pc's. I started to put together a build. I picked out the cheapest parts i think will help me do what i wanted to do comfortably with some "future-proofing" , so I picked some parts which you can find here (The Build) I think I chose most of the things okay, but I'm really stuck on the GPU, I need to find an NVIDIA G-Sync Supporting GPU that will help my monitor run games at (3440 x 1440) (120hz) but isn't impossible to find, or insanely overpriced, and that I can use two monitors with, one for the game and one for chat. (I'm planning to buy the parts around February 2021) 

TL;DR: Need help finding a gpu that will allow my 3440x1440 run triple a games at 120fps

your budget wont get you what you want simple as that. this is a video comparing the rtx3070,rtx3080, and rtx3090.