3060 Ti, 3070, or something else completely?

ladal1

Hi there, I'm currently looking for when in few months 30 series is hopefully available I'm pretty sure I'll upgrade. The reason isn't necessarily performance (rarely run into problems, but running higher quality would be nice), but more that I have somebody who would benefit from my current card and I would feel dumb purchasing something on the level of their need, when I have it here and was thinking about upgrading anyway.

I'm currently running:

8700k OC, 32Gb 3200MHz RAM, GTX 1080 (Gigabyte windforce), 1440p 144Hz display plus one 1080p secondary, often playing VR on OG VIVE

I was planning on buying the 3070, but since though that I might be saving money without any negatives if I got the 3060 Ti instead. 

Is there really any benefit for me going for the 3070, or should I maybe consider AMD if it also ever becomes available? The most demanding game I can see myself playing in any close future is CoD:MW, but I mostly play less graphically demanding games

I would just get whichever of the 2 is closest to msrp and the cheapest they are very close and well for your usecase upgrading would make little difference either way

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I would just get whichever of the 2 is closest to msrp and the cheapest they are very close and well for your usecase upgrading would make little difference either way

The few that were available here were pretty okayish in terms of closeness, the basic models around 530eur and the top level ones around 680eur so I'm no really worried about that...

Is upgrading to 3070 not going to help my usage? It should be reasonably faster, and I haven't really been reaching 144fps in all of my games, which is something I would like to, from this upgrade...

1 minute ago, ladal1 said:

The few that were available here were pretty okayish in terms of closeness, the basic models around 530eur and the top level ones around 680eur so I'm no really worried about that...

Is upgrading to 3070 not going to help my usage? It should be reasonably faster, and I haven't really been reaching 144fps in all of my games, which is something I would like to, from this upgrade...

Both seem to be able to do that. 530 is a lot more than the 400 base prices