Cpu upgrage on lenovo g510 laptop

Im considering an cpu upgrade on my old lenovo g510 laptop that currently has intel pentium 3550m cpu with i7 4800mq and i have some questions. Will the i7 work on my laptop, they are the same socket, but will the BIOS recognize it ? Will it work with my existing 65w charger or should i get a better one like 137w or 170w from lenovo m540? 

Some laptops don't have socketed CPUs. Before buying an upgrade, make sure that your laptop has a socket and that your chipset supports the Core i7-4800MQ.

elephants

4 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Some laptops don't have socketed CPUs. Before buying an upgrade, make sure that your laptop has a socket and that your chipset supports the Core i7-4800MQ.

It says that the socket on both processors is g3. But how to check if the chipset supports the 4800mq ? 

That doesn't mean an LGA or PGA socket. Open the laptop up and make sure that there is a socket for you to swap chips with.

elephants

@ragnarok0273 quick google search shows that it is a LGA CPU (i think those are pins...cant "enhance" the photo lol)

image.jpeg.ab208ab0cb26c8ebea5d920c15bdd76a.jpeg

Per lenovo hardware manual, the make i7 that is supported is the it 4700mq. Again...all per lenovo manual information found here

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g400g500g405g505g410g510_hmm.pdf

Page 82

Looks good then.

Just after I attempted an upgrade from a Celeron M 370 to a Core 2 Duo T5600 without checking, it didn't work and I had to take it apart again to swap it back.
It's a really annoying laptop to take apart.

Toshiba Satellite L25-S1192

elephants

23 minutes ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

@ragnarok0273 quick google search shows that it is a LGA CPU (i think those are pins...cant "enhance" the photo lol)

image.jpeg.ab208ab0cb26c8ebea5d920c15bdd76a.jpeg

Per lenovo hardware manual, the make i7 that is supported is the it 4700mq. Again...all per lenovo manual information found here

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g400g500g405g505g410g510_hmm.pdf

Page 82

Yes, i checked out the manual, and the weird thing is that my current cpu (pentium 3550m) is not on the list. 

39 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Looks good then.

Just after I attempted an upgrade from a Celeron M 370 to a Core 2 Duo T5600 without checking, it didn't work and I had to take it apart again to swap it back.
It's a really annoying laptop to take apart.

Toshiba Satellite L25-S1192

then you didn't follow first rule of upgrading anything in the world. Test before you put it back lol.

@BlackLight96 I would then call/ask lenovo if you are worried. worst case, you do what @ragnarok0273did and have a spare cpu laying around.

24 minutes ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

then you didn't follow first rule of upgrading anything in the world. Test before you put it back lol.

@BlackLight96 I would then call/ask lenovo if you are worried. worst case, you do what @ragnarok0273did and have a spare cpu laying around.

The funny thing is my friend has the 4800mq. But he has to send it to me and i was asking this to know if it's worth the trouble of him shipping it and me installing the cpu.