Pls help my mom and me choose some stuff for her pc

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Simply put no. Even for the most basic stuff done on a laptop 4gb is barely enough to simply not enough for a not slow and bad experience.

Got a budget?

Is 4gb of ram enough for win 10 and some zoom and web browsing thinking of fixing up my old laptop for my mom pls help she needs a new laptop like very soon and thanks for all the help

Simply put no. Even for the most basic stuff done on a laptop 4gb is barely enough to simply not enough for a not slow and bad experience.

Got a budget?

idk if this would go into this chat, but anyways, i would use 8gb just to be safe.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Got a budget?

4GB of RAM is plenty. A lighter OS like ChromeOS or a Linux distro of some sort would make a bigger difference than 8GB of RAM.

OP, maybe consider a Chromebook or used Thinkpad.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Got a budget?

Thanks no have 100 bucks to spend and ddr3 sodims are cheap so may go for 8 gigs or just stick with 4 gigs I really don’t have a problem spending more on my mom but I was just seeing if I could go with 4 gigs but thanks for all the help

1 minute ago, Do something said:

Thanks no have 100 bucks to spend and ddr3 sodims are cheap so may go for 8 gigs or just stick with 4 gigs I really don’t have a problem spending more on my mom but I was just seeing if I could go with 4 gigs but thanks for all the help

For 100 bucks there are decent used laptop options out there. What are the specs of the laptop in this case?

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

For 100 bucks there are decent used laptop options out there. What are the specs of the laptop in this case?

Intel i5 4200u upgraded with a 500gb ssd and gtx 960 and 700mb of ram yeah I know not a lot of ram

10 minutes ago, Do something said:

Intel i5 4200u upgraded with a 500gb ssd and gtx 960 and 700mb of ram yeah I know not a lot of ram

Totally fine laptop but that ram is a huge nono. How do you even get to that amount got a 1gb stick in there where the intel hd graphics reserves 300mb?

28 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Totally fine laptop but that ram is a huge nono. How do you even get to that amount got a 1gb stick in there where the intel hd graphics reserves 300mb?

Well the issue is we upgraded to win 10 and ram a web browser and it crashed it runs win 10 but won’t do anything else but just stay in Home Screen you can’t open the files app not even task manager that’s why I am getting a new battery and ram so it can actually do a useful job for my mom and thanks again for all the help

31 minutes ago, jaslion said:

And this laptop is from 2013 but still is good enough for zoom and web browsing and it is better than my school laptop but my home desktop is better

57 minutes ago, Do something said:

Is 4gb of ram enough for win 10 and some zoom and web browsing

well 8gb would be better but 4 are within Microsoft's minimum specification

try to get rid of bloatware and other programs that are taking up too much memory

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

2 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

well 8gb would be better but 4 are within Microsoft's minimum specification

try to get rid of bloatware and other programs that are taking up too much memory

I know 4gb is enough but I think 8 is good just cause she may do some other things while zooming or web browsing 

My own PC uses about 3,1GB of RAM at idle, my work PC is at around 5GB at idle. I'd say 8GB total memory is the minimum for a decent experience nowadays.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

My own PC uses about 3,1GB of RAM at idle, my work PC is at around 5GB at idle. I'd say 8GB total memory is the minimum for a decent experience nowadays.

Yeah I had recently builded a pc for my cousins boyfriend and forgot to buy ram so he only had 2x4 so 8 gigs of ram and he says it is fine but I’m upgrading him to 16 gigs just cause he streams a lot and play a lot of hard to run games and he edits vids