UMPC OpenGL 2.0 upgrade

Xyaon

Hello!

First of all I know that things like the GPD win exist, this is not meant to be practical.

I have a Sony vaio vgn-ux280p UMPC from 2006, which i want to play some older titles / 2d indie games with.

My problem is that its graphics card (an intel GMA 950 built into its 945gm chipset) only supports OpenGL 1.4.

My questions are:

a) Is there a software workaround? (From what I've read there isn't)

b) Are there any mobile CPUs that are compatible with this chipset and also have integrated graphics?

c) Is it possible to replace the chipset, for example with a GMA 960gm?

I know its very difficult to swap soldered components and that it requires bios mods, but again this isn't meant to be a practical solution.

20 minutes ago, Xyaon said:

a) Is there a software workaround? (From what I've read there isn't)

Only by rendering fully in software, but then you won't be getting anywhere near playable framerates.

21 minutes ago, Xyaon said:

b) Are there any mobile CPUs that are compatible with this chipset and also have integrated graphics?

AFAIK, the chipset doesn't support passthrough of graphics to begin with.

21 minutes ago, Xyaon said:

c) Is it possible to replace the chipset, for example with a GMA 960gm?

Maybe, if you had reference-schematics to look at, so you can verify the mobo has been routed in a way that is compatible with it. Also, both the GMA 945 and GMA 960 would have to have the same number of pins and you'd need the tools and skills to replace a high pin-count BGA-package.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.