As a Linux noob, I felt amazing to find out I can use docker for my applications. Have you tried Docker?

Hello,

So for a few months I have been using CentOS 7 to run my hpc applications as a learning exercise due to covid (learning new software and validating many cases). I wanted to use CentOS 7 as a daily OS but I realized it might be harder because I needed to have work arounds for some of the OpenSource applications that require newer dependencies. I found out about docker/moby/podman and decided to use it for applications I need CentOS for. 

And here we are, native performance of all my commercial software running in a systemd enabled CentOS7 environment running on the latest Fedora 33 distro.

Fedora-Centos-docker.thumb.jpg.b9e91f3d3838b7e3ffc55befe89d0e3e.jpg

Has anyone here used containers for something similar?

Stay Safe and Have a great day!

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

yeah i use docker for my server great way to make sure everything is clean and neat

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

53 minutes ago, EternalSeeker said:

Has anyone here used containers for something similar?

There are lots of other container-systems than Docker/Podman/etc. Yes, I have briefly tested Docker, but I far prefer full-blown LXD-containers.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 hours ago, WereCatf said:

There are lots of other container-systems than Docker/Podman/etc. Yes, I have briefly tested Docker, but I far prefer full-blown LXD-containers.

I know this method isn't really considered the docker way but it gives me native performance in apps that hit cpu, sometimes gpu and memory hard without overhead of vm"s or the need to use gpu passthrough. If say I was running solidworks then yeah I'd use vm with gpu passthrough. 

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

16 hours ago, EternalSeeker said:

native performance of all my commercial software

Keep in mind that running something in docker IS native, there's no overhead on doing so, unless you artificially limit something like CPU or RAM through cgroups.

Anyway, docker is pretty nice for reproducible and immutable builds, I mostly use it for deployments.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

4 hours ago, EternalSeeker said:

I know this method isn't really considered the docker way but it gives me native performance in apps that hit cpu, sometimes gpu and memory hard without overhead of vm"s or the need to use gpu passthrough. If say I was running solidworks then yeah I'd use vm with gpu passthrough. 

LXD-containers aren't VMs, so I'm not sure how your comment is related to what I said.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

52 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

LXD-containers aren't VMs, so I'm not sure how your comment is related to what I said.

LXD can also use vm images, that's why I initially talked about it. Anyway can LXC containers use host directories, host gpu and display gui to host display? I might try it.

4 hours ago, igormp said:

Keep in mind that running something in docker IS native, there's no overhead on doing so, unless you artificially limit something like CPU or RAM through cgroups.

Anyway, docker is pretty nice for reproducible and immutable builds, I mostly use it for deployments.

Ah yes, I have seen exact render times in blender cycles between centos7 bare bore install and centos7 docker image. So yes 👍 

12 minutes ago, EternalSeeker said:

Anyway can LXC containers use host directories, host gpu and display gui to host display? I might try it.

Yes, using host-directories and devices is easy. Setting it up to display GUI-apps on one's desktop is a tad trickier and not as easy as with Docker, so if you just want easy and quick access to GUI-apps, LXD-containers may not be the best choice. On the other hand, if you don't mind the initial setup being trickier, LXD-containers are far more capable, so YMMV.