Looking to build a PC that is going to be stellar for programming/

Davejones
Go to solution Solved by trag1c,
15 hours ago, just_dave said:

i might be wrong but isn't macOS the best OS for coding?

It's a pretty big mix as it really depends on what you're doing as well as personal preference. I generally prefer Linux as an OS but I like to do my development in Windows for the simple fact that Visual Studio exists...

22 minutes ago, Davejones said:

Thank you, that is a good idea. It probably is a good idea to dump more of my money into the CPU, fast storage and ram since I still have a decent GPU. 

1 hour ago, just_dave said:

In that case I suggest you go full steam ahead and get R9 5950X, 32GB of 3600MHz RAM and maybe 2 or 4TB of NVMe storage. The GPU should be fine for 1440p.

I have to agree with this. For development you can never go wrong with more cores and RAM. 

Budget (including currency): >$2500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Various IDEs including android studio, emulating Android devices/Linux/ etc. And playing some games obviously! Assassin's creed Valhalla, Doom eternal, the outer worlds, mainly RPGs lol

Other details:

Currently I have a system I'm wanting to upgrade. I have a desktop with an 8th gen i7 (not unlocked), nVidia RTX 2070, some ASUS Prime motherboard (not sure which one) 16gb of ram and two sata SSDs 256gb and 1terabyte.

So my questions are:

I'm not sure whether to go intel or AMD for the processor and if getting an i9 or 5900x would be overkill for what I'm looking for. 

Would it be worth it for me to upgrade my graphics card or should I keep rocking my 2070 for another year and just upgraded that later?

I know I need better cooling, more ram, more storage and would like a beefier precessor than what I've got now. Would I be wasting money or is this a worthy upgrade?

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

3 hours ago, Davejones said:

Budget (including currency): >$2500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Various IDEs including android studio, emulating Android devices/Linux/ etc. And playing some games obviously! Assassin's creed Valhalla, Doom eternal, the outer worlds, mainly RPGs lol

Other details:

Currently I have a system I'm wanting to upgrade. I have a desktop with an 8th gen i7 (not unlocked), nVidia RTX 2070, some ASUS Prime motherboard (not sure which one) 16gb of ram and two sata SSDs 256gb and 1terabyte.

So my questions are:

I'm not sure whether to go intel or AMD for the processor and if getting an i9 or 5900x would be overkill for what I'm looking for. 

Would it be worth it for me to upgrade my graphics card or should I keep rocking my 2070 for another year and just upgraded that later?

I know I need better cooling, more ram, more storage and would like a beefier precessor than what I've got now. Would I be wasting money or is this a worthy upgrade?

2 hours ago, just_dave said:

i might be wrong but isn't macOS the berst OS for coding?

I work in software (QA not dev) and most developers I know prefer to dev on mac because it's unix underneath and therefore supports more languages and tools natively and faster.

4 hours ago, just_dave said:

i might be wrong but isn't macOS the berst OS for coding?

Not necessarily, it really depends on what you're doing and personal preference above all else. I mean if you're looking to pick up swift or doing anything in the apple ecosystem then yeah. But outside of that I've found I just like doing it in windows better, I'm familiar with it, I like the way the OS is set up and I just bounce between that and Linux. 

9 hours ago, Davejones said:

Not necessarily, it really depends on what you're doing and personal preference above all else. I mean if you're looking to pick up swift or doing anything in the apple ecosystem then yeah. But outside of that I've found I just like doing it in windows better, I'm familiar with it, I like the way the OS is set up and I just bounce between that and Linux. 

In that case I suggest you go full steam ahead and get R9 5950X, 32GB of 3600MHz RAM and maybe 2 or 4TB of NVMe storage. The GPU should be fine for 1440p.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Thank you, that is a good idea. It probably is a good idea to dump more of my money into the CPU, fast storage and ram since I still have a decent GPU. 

15 hours ago, just_dave said:

It's a pretty big mix as it really depends on what you're doing as well as personal preference. I generally prefer Linux as an OS but I like to do my development in Windows for the simple fact that Visual Studio exists...

22 minutes ago, Davejones said:

I have to agree with this. For development you can never go wrong with more cores and RAM. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

57 minutes ago, trag1c said:

Thank you, I think that really does give me a better idea of what to do and saves me money prioritising those parts over upgrading my GPU.