there is no other fix?
I hate using caps lock for only 1 letter
:*(

5 minutes ago, Bharath1910 said:

what! ;-; 
there is no other fix?
I hate using caps lock for only 1 letter
:*(

well i never had such problems you might be able to fix in keyboard shortcuts in settings

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

What keyboard layout are you using?

34 minutes ago, mahyar said:

use caps lock :) 

Don't feel forced to reply if you don't know what the problem might be.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This is a really odd problem.

Seems like something is interpreting SHIFT+letter as some shortcut or SHIFT key is interpreted wrongly as ALT or Meta key. My bet is on the latter.

Relevant questions / ways to troubleshoot:

• which keyboard (this was already asked)? Is this a laptop?
  • Can you type other capital letters via shift+letter, or is it just W, A, S, D W,S,Q?
  • Where are you typing / do you have the same result in different applications (give examples)?
  • Go to a virtual console. Can you type W, A, S, D and Q with shift there? (CTRL+ALT+F2 or F3 or F4 etc...; CTRL+ALT+F1 or F7 to get back to the GUI). This will help to determine if the cause is in the GUI or if the whole system has gone awry.
  • Try to run xev from a terminal emulator (you may need to install xev first, it might not be installed per default) and press the problematic keys and combinations. Post the output somewhere (it will be very long). That way you can see what the GUI (or Xorg) "sees".

With the information you've given, I bet this is because of an exotic keyboard layout / wrongly set keyboard layout (Mac/PC keyboard misconfiguration...).

Another alternative is you have some exotic gaming keyboard which does something non-standard, or some gaming-related software (gamepad emulator) is hijacking your input. But for the latter, you would have had to install said software on purpose, so it is very unlikely - unless this is a second-hand computer where Ubuntu was installed when you got it. If that is the case, then I'd nuke the whole HDD and re-install (there is no knowing what the previous owner might have put in there...).

EDIT: Ooops! Noticed OP has problems with SHIFT + W,S,Q, not W,A,S,D. Anyways my troubleshooting advice still stands, but the hypothesis of some kind of exotic non-standard gaming keyboard / software is less likely (WASD would be a strong hint towards some kind of gaming H/W or software screwup).

Edited by Wild Penquin
suggestion about xev, TYPO; rephrased fourth bullet

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 2:04 AM, Wild Penquin said:

This is a really odd problem.

Seems like something is interpreting SHIFT+letter as some shortcut or SHIFT key is interpreted wrongly as ALT or Meta key. My bet is on the latter.

Relevant questions / ways to troubleshoot:

• which keyboard (this was already asked)? Is this a laptop?
  • Can you type other capital letters via shift+letter, or is it just W, A, S, D W,S,Q?
  • Where are you typing / do you have the same result in different applications (give examples)?
  • Go to a virtual console. Can you type W, A, S, D and Q with shift there? (CTRL+ALT+F2 or F3 or F4 etc...; CTRL+ALT+F1 or F7 to get back to the GUI). This will help to determine if the cause is in the GUI or if the whole system has gone awry.
  • Try to run xev from a terminal emulator (you may need to install xev first, it might not be installed per default) and press the problematic keys and combinations. Post the output somewhere (it will be very long). That way you can see what the GUI (or Xorg) "sees".

With the information you've given, I bet this is because of an exotic keyboard layout / wrongly set keyboard layout (Mac/PC keyboard misconfiguration...).

Another alternative is you have some exotic gaming keyboard which does something non-standard, or some gaming-related software (gamepad emulator) is hijacking your input. But for the latter, you would have had to install said software on purpose, so it is very unlikely - unless this is a second-hand computer where Ubuntu was installed when you got it. If that is the case, then I'd nuke the whole HDD and re-install (there is no knowing what the previous owner might have put in there...).

EDIT: Ooops! Noticed OP has problems with SHIFT + W,S,Q, not W,A,S,D. Anyways my troubleshooting advice still stands, but the hypothesis of some kind of exotic non-standard gaming keyboard / software is less likely (WASD would be a strong hint towards some kind of gaming H/W or software screwup).

It was actually my KDE connect's shortcuts... I used shift + Q or shift + W or shift + S.. now I changed the shortcuts and now it is working fine.. Thank you :)