How do I copy my steam game folder to my new laptop?

Dylan lol

Getting my new laptop tomorrow and would like to put my steam game folder on the new laptop so i dont have to re download everything. I have an external HDD or usb drives to use to transfer. What are the steps to do this?

in your laptop, create a new game folder in the place you want to store your games

then simply copy paste the games there

in steam, the games will appear as if they're not installed, so click install and pick the right location, steam will scan for local files and will check the legitimacy of the files

after that, it should be good to go

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

in your laptop, create a new game folder in the place you want to store your games

then simply copy paste the games there

in steam, the games will appear as if they're not installed, so click install and pick the right location, steam will scan for local files and will check the legitimacy of the files

after that, it should be good to go

All of my steam stuff is in a folder called "Steam folder" in D drive. Would I literally just copy and paste the entire folder and put it on my external hdd?

Just now, Dylan lol said:

All of my steam stuff is in a folder called "Steam folder" in D drive. Would I literally just copy and paste the entire folder and put it on my external hdd?

steam should create a folder called "SteamLibrary in the designed location where you specified it to install the games, specific games would be inside SteamLibrary\steamapps\common

so just copy whichever games you want, or the entire "common" folder if you wish, and paste it in the new location

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

steam should create a folder called "SteamLibrary in the designed location where you specified it to install the games, specific games would be inside SteamLibrary\steamapps\common

so just copy whichever games you want, or the entire "common" folder if you wish, and paste it in the new location

All the games seem to be in D : / steamfolder / steamapps / common

Would I just copy paste the 'steamapps' folder, or copy paste the "steamfolder" folder

6 minutes ago, Dylan lol said:

Would I just copy paste the 'steamapps' folder, or copy paste the "steamfolder" folder

Just "steamapps".

20 minutes ago, Dylan lol said:

i would copy only the common folder to your laptop's common folder, as the other folder contains things that idk what they're for