Long time watcher first time poster...laptop recommendation

Hey guys. I am in the market for a laptop and I want to know what you would recommend. I am an engineering student so I need a laptop which will accommodate mainly solidworks and similar programs (not a big concern). On top of that I would like to have hardware that could get me really smooth high frame rate 1080 gaming and hopefully some vr performance. I don't think I care too much about the laptop display as I will probably be doing most of my work and gaming on external displays. Of course I am looking for the best bang for my buck. Here is what I think I am looking for at least. Give me some recommendations. Thanks! 

-rtx2060, 9th or 10th gen i7, 16gb ram...???

gaming laptops, try looking at msi or asus gaming laptops, they solid maybe alienware, MAYBE

Asus zephyrus G14. Amd Ryzen 4800, RTX2060.

If it's not tiger lake (11th gen), don't use intel.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

13 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

gaming laptops, try looking at msi or asus gaming laptops, they solid maybe alienware, MAYBE

Thanks! 

What price range do you think I'm looking at? 

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Asus zephyrus G14. Amd Ryzen 4800, RTX2060.

If it's not tiger lake (11th gen), don't use intel.

What's your reasoning behind avoiding intel? Just curious

Let this guy explain:

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

ryzen 4800h offers better performance than intel 9/10th gen most of the time, last I checked best gpu option to pair was rtx 2060.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

8 hours ago, zakatak01 said:

Hey guys. I am in the market for a laptop and I want to know what you would recommend. I am an engineering student so I need a laptop which will accommodate mainly solidworks and similar programs (not a big concern). On top of that I would like to have hardware that could get me really smooth high frame rate 1080 gaming and hopefully some vr performance. I don't think I care too much about the laptop display as I will probably be doing most of my work and gaming on external displays. Of course I am looking for the best bang for my buck. Here is what I think I am looking for at least. Give me some recommendations. Thanks! 

-rtx2060, 9th or 10th gen i7, 16gb ram...???

Budget and why a laptop?

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

59 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Budget and why a laptop?

I have been looking around $1000 if I can make that work. It needs to be a laptop because I am in college so I will need to be able to take it to some of my classes. With that being said I don't really mind if it's kind of heavy or bulky I just have to be able to take it places. 

18 minutes ago, zakatak01 said:

I have been looking around $1000 if I can make that work. It needs to be a laptop because I am in college so I will need to be able to take it to some of my classes. With that being said I don't really mind if it's kind of heavy or bulky I just have to be able to take it places. 

Why would you take a laptop to classes... They have computer labs if you need them and writing notes is way faster than typing due to shorthand being easier.

Just now, Lord Vile said:

Why would you take a laptop to classes... They have computer labs if you need them and writing notes is way faster than typing due to shorthand being easier.

It's not just for note taking. I am an engineering student and while yes technically the labs have computers that you can use It is still highly recommended to have your own laptop. Not to mention that I am in an extracurricular engineering team where I could really use my own laptop instead of having a sub-par loaner. 

29 minutes ago, zakatak01 said:

It's not just for note taking. I am an engineering student and while yes technically the labs have computers that you can use It is still highly recommended to have your own laptop. Not to mention that I am in an extracurricular engineering team where I could really use my own laptop instead of having a sub-par loaner. 

I studied chemistry and had to do molecular modelling where one of my projects took days on a desktop. I just used the PC's there for work at uni because they had Quadro's and used my own PC away from class.

59 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

I studied chemistry and had to do molecular modelling where one of my projects took days on a desktop. I just used the PC's there for work at uni because they had Quadro's and used my own PC away from class.

I see what you're saying but I am certain that a laptop is best for my application. If I had enough money I would get a fairly competent laptop and build a desktop but I just can't afford both.

4 hours ago, zakatak01 said:

I see what you're saying but I am certain that a laptop is best for my application. If I had enough money I would get a fairly competent laptop and build a desktop but I just can't afford both.

To your need´s laptop suits better thats for sure.

Programming doesnt take that much of resources,but 16gb is in my opinion a must.

SSD should be a no brainer,and aim for the new ryzen 4000series cpus since battery life is better on AMD if you need to run on battery in school.

I am in Europe and you are probably in States so i cant recommend on laptop since US prices are different then EU prices