PSU that blows up/catches on fire?

WhitetailAni

I've gotten bored again (not much happening in school right now and waiting on stuff to arrive to continue computer fixing) and wanted to know if anyone knew of any PSUs that are guaranteed to blow up.

Anyone know?

elephants

i forgot which ones, but some thermaltake or thermalquake idk they suck and break alot.

Order something off of Wish or Aliexpress and try drawing more power than it's rated for. That'll probably get some nice blue smoke. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

41 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

That'll probably get some nice blue smoke. 

Blue smoke ≠ explosion.

I'm after an explosion or a fire.

Either is fine.

elephants

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I've gotten bored again (not much happening in school right now and waiting on stuff to arrive to continue computer fixing) and wanted to know if anyone knew of any PSUs that are guaranteed to blow up.

Anyone know?

I am pretty sure no psu is guaranteed to blow up. Pretty sure you need a special business license to make bombs ;)

I saw a video of a diablotek going up a while back.  Part of the issue here is it seems you want something that is unreliable to behave in a reliable manner even if it’s to reliably fail.  Getting the test you seem to be looking for could easily cost half a million dollars.  What you’d want to do is like up 100 PSUs or each of various types, then stress them.  Of even the worst devices some will not fail.  The question is how many do.  
there’s a description of the concept of reliability demonstrated by the last several episodes of wintergarten Wednesdays.  The dude has been building this marble driven hurdy gurdy sort of thing.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I'll have to lose the PSU lottery, then.

You could doctor one to blow.  They’ve got great big capacitors in them which is the basis of the issue.  What kind they are, and how they are dealt with sort of defines the problem. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 5 weeks later...

short ciruit a psu caps and watch them blow or water log a psu and power it on

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Alright.

I've got an Optiplex 3020 PSU that I took the fan from, and I think I will sacrifice it for the greater good (explosions).

Once I get around to it, you will get a video.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Alright.

I've got an Optiplex 3020 PSU that I took the fan from, and I think I will sacrifice it for the greater good (explosions).

Once I get around to it, you will get a video.

ok can't wait

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang