Other than power effeciancy, what else is there?

cr8tor
34 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

On the plus side, i dont think anyone added anything i wasnt already aware of.

This is a good thing as it reinforced my thoughts on power supplies.

Mostly, look for good components from a trusted manufacturer that backs up their hardware with a good warranty.

13 hours ago, cr8tor said:

Other than efficiency, what else is there for features to watch for?

Im familiar with the tier list, and am looking at the top of the list.

But i dont see much to differentiate them.

Is it mostly a matter of efficiency

Bruh

:)

1 minute ago, OrionFOTL said:

Are you sure you were aware of the most important PSU characteristics, that @seon123 enumerated?

Yes, im no expert, but i am aware of what goes into a good power supply as im familiar with electronics.

2 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

I'm asking because to me, you were making an impression that you weren't aware of such details.

Yea, i realize my original post was not all encompassing.

I am a knowledgeable individual, however just because i think i know a good amount, doesn't mean i haven't missed something.

4 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

And that somebody summarizes that lecture with a

But, i mean, isnt that what a summary is?

Summary: a brief statement or account of the main points of something

5 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

If you want to make sure that you really grasp every factor that goes into evaluating whether a PSU is good or bad, read one of the detailed

I don't. I don't want to know the minute details of power supplies.

I asked about features that might be available in the top tier power supplies in regards to what might differentiate one from another.

The comments and replies on here gave me what i needed/wanted.

Which was that there are not really any differentiating features outside of the quality, efficiency, and reliability of them.

RGB is a feature, but not one im interested in as stated originally.

Self diagnostics buttons are a feature, but most higher end PSU's have that feature also.

Essentially i didnt want to buy a PSU and then a month later find one with some cool new feature that i was not aware of leading to buyers remorse.

And the replies on here gave me what i wanted, and more.

I am not complaining in any way.

I am not saying i know everything.

I am saying that i have a good overview of power supplies, and wanted a few opinions of things to look for when buying a new PSU.

I was given the information that i asked for, and then some.

I appreciate the information i was given, i am not interested in learning the complete workings of power supplies, however i trust in the PSU tier list and others suggestions enough that i have confidence in purchasing a PSU that will meet my needs and not leave me with buyers remorse weeks or months later.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

9 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Bruh

Bruh?

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

18 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

Bruh?

You ask if there are any other considerations than power efficiency when it comes to PSUs, and then say that you knew everything that was brought up?

21 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

But, i mean, isnt that what a summary is?

Summary: a brief statement or account of the main points of something

That seems like a reasonable definitions. It seems like you achieved the "brief statement" part, but did absolutely not include any of the "main points".

1 hour ago, cr8tor said:

Mostly, look for good components from a trusted manufacturer that backs up their hardware with a good warranty.

Let's see... There were disagreements about capacitors in particular, but a PSU is obviously more than just a bunch of capacitors. So much for "good components".

No one said anything about "trusted manufacturer". If you want the warranty to come from the manufacturer, that really limits your choices, as most brands just use the same few OEMs. Browsing PCPP US, that would give us a few options by Seasonic, FSP and Super Flower. A lot of which are garbage PSUs.

Buying a PSU based on a "trusted manufacturer that backs up their hardware with a good warranty" is the equivalent of looking at a Celeron G5900 and a 10900K, and deciding to get the Celeron. After all, they are both manufactured by Intel using the same 14nm+++++++ process, and both have the same warranty. Of course, any reasonable person would look at actual reviews, which you can skim through in a few minutes, but who would do that? You know, to look at things that actually matter, e.g. some of the things I mentioned.

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

how the PSU performs (e.g. regulation, ripple, transient response, hold up time), how loud it is at various loads, features (modularity, software monitoring, toggling multi/single rail OCP etc), protections, what components are used, pricing compared to other PSUs, and the physical dimensions. And whatever else matters for your specific build.

One of the things that literally no one mentioned was this:

22 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

Self diagnostics buttons are a feature, but most higher end PSU's have that feature also.

I don't know of any PSU that has this feature, could you come with examples of PSUs with one, and explain what it does? :)

:)

22 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I don't know of any PSU that has this feature, could you come with examples of PSUs with one, and explain what it does?

Corsair AXI has it, test button and LED lights, if the LED shows red something is wrong with the PSU, not working within specs etc.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

1 hour ago, cr8tor said:

MOST actually don't have that feature. ;)

The ONLY ONE I am aware of is the Corsair AXI that actually does have a test button that really does self diagnose the PSU. But that's a digital PSU with the AXI being completely digital. The AXI 760, 860, 1200, 1500 and 1600 have the feature.

The HXI and RMI have a test button, that's only for the fan.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

45 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Corsair AXI has it, test button and LED lights, if the LED shows red something is wrong with the PSU, not working within specs etc.

I guess its obvious what i was looking at for a brand. 🙂

34 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

The ONLY ONE I am aware of is the Corsair AXI that actually does have a test button that really does self diagnose the PSU. But that's a digital PSU with the AXI being completely digital. The AXI 760, 860, 1200, 1500 and 1600 have the feature.

The HXI and RMI have a test button, that's only for the fan.

Thanks for correcting me.

This is why i posted, for information like this. To correct my assumptions.

I am finding the AX860i to be the most compelling PSU for my situation.

It seems to be made with quality components. I say this as im trusting in the PSU tier list.

I like the diagnostic features. 

I like the real time monitoring and control.

The price is a bit high, but the overall value seems proportionate also.

Now to find one available sometime in the next couple of months. haha

@seon123, your post added nothing constructive to the situation. You just seem to want to tear me down. Your post before that, nothing but "Bruh" was even less useful. I am curious to see your response to this though. 🙂

Family machines