Bigger moment in Apple’s history

Jackgamer91

Bigger Apple Event?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Launch of iPhone (2007) vs. Introduction of Apple Silicon (2020)

• IPhone Launch (2007)
    • Introduction of Apple Silicon (2020)

Which event was more important in Apple’s history in your opinion? 

Core i7 2700K Oc'ed 4.4 Ghz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SC'ed, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GB Intel 730 SSD and 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 blue LED fans, Windows 10 Preview 

people are more into the phones anyway.

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

We don't know the ultimate outcome of Apple Silicon.

It could end up being a huge success... or it could flop. time will tell.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

The iPhone.

Apple using non-x86 chips isn't a new thing - they did it with PowerPC.

It's just this time they're making it, not IBM.

elephants

Definitely the iPhone launch. It was a really important innovation at the time and there was nothing else that was like the iPhone, it actually meant something. The apple silicon is nothing that new or extremely impressive, they're basically (to an extent) just their iPhone chips but supped up by adding 2 extra high performance cores, higher clock speeds (maybe?) and a better iGPU. It's not even the first time apple switched architectures.

Sorry but this isn't even a contest. Choosing a new CPU for their computers is just a footnote in history. PCs are an increasingly small part of Apple's overall business and quickly becoming irrelevant in the industry overall.

The impact of the iPhone on the technology industry and even on pop culture cannot be overstated.

The iPhone was the first true smartphone,Apple really reinvented the wheel with it.

The M1 on the other hand is just a processor,while it's a fast one it is not enough to revolutionize the industry.

X86 processors are still faster and more flexible.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

If Apple didn't make the iPhone, they wouldn't be what they are today. Without the iPhone there would be no M1

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

This isn't even a question. Apple wouldn't be apple without the iPhone. They'd basically be dell or HP by this point

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

So you're asking us to compare something that has only been launched a few weeks ago and we have no idea if it'll be successful to a product that has been around for a dozen generations, 13 years, and as cliche as it sounds, started a fucking revolution in the tech industry (several, I suppose)? Lol.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Neither. Steve Jobs returning to Apple & working with Jony Ive, who was responsible for designs that defined apple like, iMac, iPhone, iPhone & iPad. That is what is bigger to Apple, those two working together like they did to create some of the most unique & distinguishable products in tech.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

iPhone by so much it's not even close. 

The move to M1 is just another CPU architectural change (the 3rd for Apple).

iPhone spearheaded they way we use mobile phones, it (together with Android hand sets) killed the giant (RIP Nokia).

I don't know how old most people on this forum are, but I'm old enough to remember that shift, there is a time before and a time after iPhone (specially iPhone 3G that was the first to get a world wide release) the impact of the iPhone on the PDA/mobile phone market can not be overstated.  

Without the iPhone, todays transition to M1 would not have been possible. Apple gained so much experience in SoC-Design in the iPhone.

Them transitioning to their own architecture just seemed like a logical step.

I was thinking this actually had some milestones. What about Apple II? Which is the reason why company exists. Steve Jobs was ready to quit if that would have failed. And then return of Jobs. You wouldn't have iPods nor iPhones without Jobs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Definitely the iPhone launch. It was a really important innovation at the time and there was nothing else that was like the iPhone, it actually meant something. The apple silicon is nothing that new or extremely impressive, they're basically (to an extent) just their iPhone chips but supped up by adding 2 extra high performance cores, higher clock speeds (maybe?) and a better iGPU. It's not even the first time apple switched architectures.

i mean, PDA was a thing, just not that popular

apple just improved on the idea and u got urself a new industry

idk how apple silicon will affect the world though, ARM CPU might become mainstream in PC and laptops, and do things that we cant imagine today

since developer will start developing apps for ARM CPU, so the chicken and egg problem might've been solved if it's adopted enough

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

36 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I was thinking this actually had some milestones. What about Apple II? Which is the reason why company exists. Steve Jobs was ready to quit if that would have failed. And then return of Jobs. You wouldn't have iPods nor iPhones without Jobs.

Or when When Apple almost went under and Microsoft bailed them out in 1997. 

The iMac in 1998 and the iPod in 2001 which eventually turned into the iPhone in 2007 where in my opinion Apples biggest moments which lead them to there popular success. Up till that point they were at least to my understanding just barely floating along trying to come up with the next big thing. All of which wouldn't have been possible without the help of Bill Gates from Microsoft. Of course my knowledge of Apples history is very limited.

iPod and iTunes are where apple made it's money following Steve jobs' return. Would say they're more important than anything else since they brought him back.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

This Apple Silicon transition is paid for and facilitated by iPhones, so...the iPhone.

It’s not by accident that iPhones and Macs now share the CPU architecture and associated R&D. Had the iPhone failed, Apple would still be making Intel Macs. Or maybe nowadays they would be in the process of switching to AMD.

iPhone is the product that makes Apple, "the Apple" 

5 hours ago, JoshY47 said:

I remember Apple before the iPhones,iPods were huge back then,

Touch was really good on the iPods (the button circle was touch),and the iPod touch was a really good product.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

11 hours ago, JoshY47 said:

If that would be the case, this whole M1 wouldn't be as big of the deal. But what makes Apple Apple is the user experience for creative professionals. I haven't actually delved into Apple history enough to say that it was direction they took in 90s to early 00s when company was still shaping with early iMacs.

iPhone was evolution. Hardly turning point or milestone. I would say that iPhone 4 was milestone since at that point Apple had taken significant market share (though top spots came much later). iPod can be seen as milestone or change since that shaped portable media and digital media sales with iTunes. That was something others needed really to catch up with.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/30/2020 at 9:10 PM, Jackgamer91 said:

Which event was more important in Apple’s history in your opinion? 

For all the haters of Microsoft people forget bill gates saved apple from bankruptcy with an investmentof 150m. if i had to choose between only the two options you mention... considering the smart phone industry is around trillions of dollars, and gave the capital to apple to invest and R&D there own M1 silicon obviously iphone

However, none of this would be possible without Bill gates saving the company. I would argue it wasnt an invention that was important it was the time when apple decided to partner with microsoft and bill gates to avoid bankruptcy that put apple on the path and the start of greatness.

Bill gates helped make apple what it is today.

Should also include the introduction of the iMac G3. Some would argue this odd looking egg shaped thing was the first product to turn things around when Jobs came back. 

Material Design: Secret of Apple's Design | Material Designs

Plus it was probably the first computer than many kids at the time used. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Should also include the introduction of the iMac G3. Some would argue this odd looking egg shaped thing was the first product to turn things around when Jobs came back. 

Material Design: Secret of Apple's Design | Material Designs

Plus it was probably the first computer than many kids at the time used. 

they only had money to fund the imac g3 because bill gates and microsoft infused them with cash to avoid them going under. the product wouldn't exist it came a year after the cash investment.

if they hadnt the imac g3 would have never existed and certainly not the iphone or the M1. its why I said bill gates investment was actually the biggest event in apples history and allowed them to invent all the great products you enjoy today