Upgrade incrementally or all at once?

just11n

I intend on upgrading my gaming PC, but I'm wondering if it might be worth it to upgrade my graphics card now and the rest when I can afford it (or when availability gets better). I am playing games like CoD Warzone/Cold War, Overwatch, and other similar titles/genres. In the Call of Duty games with low settings it's typically a good day if I'm averaging 60fps. This usually comes with big dips in frames, making the experience frustrating. If I could upgrade just my graphics card now(ish) and see enough of a boost to performance that I can tolerate the time it will take for me to save to build the machine I want.

Currently running:

- Asus Z170-P

- EVGA GTX 970

- i5 6600k

- 16gb (can't remember speeds) RAM

I'm afraid if I upgrade my graphics card my cpu will still be my biggest bottleneck and the gains won't justify the cost. Another thought here is that the RTX 30 series is not compatible with my current board (based on a quick google search) and for my future pc I'd prefer to have a 30 series over a 20 series card. Maybe I'm envious of people taking advantage of black friday deals and building systems that put on full display the inadequacies of my rig. Either talk me off the edge or send me into the abyss 

Thanks in advance :)

Probably because that motherboard is 5 years old, and ASUS doesn't care enough to update it.

So unless you find somewhere a bunch of people saying "RTX 3000 doesn't work in Z170!!" you will be fine.

elephants

10 minutes ago, just11n said:

Compatibility lists very rarely include everything that's compatible.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

I think the focus has shifted to compatibility, but my original question has more to do with SHOULD I upgrade versus CAN I upgrade. I believe that it's been established that compatibility is less of an issue than I thought initially. When they become available again, should I go ahead and get a graphics card or bide my time (and dollars) and put it in a new system when I can?