Just installed my first M.2 ssd and a couple of problems turned up

MoundN
Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,
2 hours ago, MoundN said:

It only appears inside the drive management screen, it does however not appear in the explorer. My ssd does appear and is fully accessible too.

Then you probably only need to assign a drive letter. Right click the partition (should be black) and click assign a drive letter.

1 hour ago, MoundN said:

Edit:

My 2nd problem appears to be fixed??

I dont have to visit the bios anymore to properly boot from my m2 ssd.

Another problem spawned.

After taking a look at the document sheet about my motherboard ive noticed that the factory that configured my pc did a mistake and put the ramsticks into slot 1&3 which results in loss of memory on my board.

Swapping it to 2&4 causes my system to be stuck trying to boot, "dram" debug led lights up. removing the 2nd ramstick from slot 4 resolves this issue and i can freely boot.

What do i do?

BTW: According do the document sheet NONE of the sataslots 1&2 should be detecting ANYTHING because the m2 ssd is installed into the m2 sata port.

My ssd is detected just fine though. my hdd too except for the fact that it is invisible in the explorer.

It shouldn't result in a loss of memory capacity. Did you check the amount of memory Windows recognized in the task manager before you swapped the memory?

Nope, your Port 1 and 2 should work.
It depends on whether you install a PCI-e or SATA M.2 SSD. In your case you have a PCI-e SSD installed, so the Ports 3 and 4 are disabled. 1 and 2 should still work.

If you installed a SATA SSD then 1 and 2 are disabled.

From the manual:

image.png.bf22abd4139c22e4ce77caabb59c705a.png

Hello, 

The title says it already.

I have two problems one major and one minor problem.

My major problem is that my hdd isn't "detected" anymore, i mean windows sees it, the contents are inside it, just as it was before installing the m2 ssd but i cannot access it. I haven't screwed with any partitions or anything in that regard.

Ive proven that my disk is working fine by checking the diskmanager, acts as a healthy primary disk partition and the full 2tb are detected too.

I know that installing a m2 ssd causes it to disable some sata ports but the ones my ssd and my hdd are plugged into are both working. my normal ssd gets detected on either of the 2 remaining ports, my hdd doesnt get detected in any of them. Well i can still see the disk as mentioned before i just cannot access it.

My 2nd problem which is minor-ish is that my system won't boot unless im booting after visiting the bios. No changes done just visiting it somehow overwrites the "reboot and select proper boot device" screen.

Ive updated my bios to the newest version my mainboard manufacturer has released too.

Tech infos:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K CPU 3.50GHz

GPU: (not plugged in atm due to troubleshooting) Nvidia gtx 970 4g

PSU: 600W bequiet psu

MB: MSI Z170A PC-MATE (MS-7971)

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Ver. A.G0 06/23/2018

RAM: 16GB Kingston hyperx 2666 Mhz DDR4

M2 ssd: Corsair Force MP510 240 GB

HDD: WD 2TB

SSD: Samsung ssd 128GB

What do you mean specifically with you "can't access it" ?

Does it appear in the Windows Explorer or only in drive management?

5 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

What do you mean specifically with you "can't access it" ?

Does it appear in the Windows Explorer or only in drive management?

It only appears inside the drive management screen, it does however not appear in the explorer. My ssd does appear and is fully accessible too.

Edit:

Another problem spawned.

After taking a look at the document sheet about my motherboard ive noticed that the factory that configured my pc did a mistake and put the ramsticks into slot 1&3 which results in loss of memory on my board.

Swapping it to 2&4 causes my system to be stuck trying to boot, "dram" debug led lights up. removing the 2nd ramstick from slot 4 resolves this issue and i can freely boot.

What do i do?

BTW: According do the document sheet NONE of the sataslots 1&2 should be detecting ANYTHING because the m2 ssd is installed into the m2 sata port.

My ssd is detected just fine though. my hdd too except for the fact that it is invisible in the explorer.

2 hours ago, MoundN said:

Then you probably only need to assign a drive letter. Right click the partition (should be black) and click assign a drive letter.

1 hour ago, MoundN said:

Edit:

Another problem spawned.

What do i do?

It shouldn't result in a loss of memory capacity. Did you check the amount of memory Windows recognized in the task manager before you swapped the memory?

It depends on whether you install a PCI-e or SATA M.2 SSD. In your case you have a PCI-e SSD installed, so the Ports 3 and 4 are disabled. 1 and 2 should still work.

From the manual:

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

From the manual:

You were right, I've managed to fix all the issues i've had with my system and everything looks to be running just as smooth as it was before. Thank you alot for your time and help!

I hope you have a great Evening! :)