Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrading Blender / CAD machine. Advice please!

Budget (including currency): £500 (give or take; preferably take)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Blender, Solidworks, Fusion 360, Illustrator, FL Studio, Ableton, Keyshot, Premiere

Hello all,

First time user of this forum and new to the idea of building a computer. Currently using a second hand CAD machine from an office. I've got a pretty intensive Blender project underway spanning the space of several months and have been seriously suffering with cycles render times. This is a pretty CPU intensive task so that's the main focus of the upgrade / rebuild. I'm also planning on doing some Eevee rendering (which uses the GPU) - add on top of that the fact that my current GPU is not compatible with Premiere. Struggling to justify the steep costs however as I'm not much of a gamer. I do also produce music but I don't see this as being a big factor in my reason to upgrade. 

Another struggle I've had is big lag with large CAD assemblies. I'd basically like my computer to be a beast at all of the softwares listed above. I've very quickly thrown together a parts list with some help from a friend and was hoping for some feedback. I would be very appreciative of any advice!

And for those interested, I'm toying with the idea of throwing this all in a Mac G5 case as I think they're damn good looking. I've got a 3D printer to do all the mounting with. 

Current specs:

image.png.19c982cdf34be8c996aeba003285d664.png

Proposed parts list:

image.thumb.png.f9bf72e83e6ff744b23506c2d29bb4e9.png

Many thanks in advance,

Franky

If you wanna save money get a Ryzen 3700, it's pretty cheap right now.

Get a B550 instead of B450, better support for ryzen 5000, if you need to upgrade it in the future.

If you wanna use G5 case keep it micro ATX or smaller (ITX), space is limited.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

the motherboard is terrible, and the 212 evo isn't much better than the stock cooler.

the 3800xt isn't much better than the 3800x, which isn't much better than the 3700x.

you probably also need 32gb ram.

I would definitely reccomend a Radeon Pro card for Blender/CAD and a Ryzen if possible. Depending on budget, you would want a Radeon Pro WX 3100 or WX 7100. For music, you might want a Sound Blaster Z soundcard, if that's a concern.

Is it plugged in?

7 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

the motherboard is terrible, and the 212 evo isn't much better than the stock cooler.

well i use 212 and it's way better than the stock cooler.

not as good as noctuas, but it does the job pretty good.

8 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

What is this?? 2.9ghz in 2020?

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Turbo boost won't last you a long time. Plus it's intel, which run better in higher clock speed.

It will run 4 to 4.1GHz on most loads. Its much faster than similarly priced amd cpu:s unless you can find a 2700 on sale and dont care about single core perf that much.

5 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

It will run 4 to 4.1GHz on most loads. Its much faster than similarly priced amd cpu:s unless you can find a 2700 on sale and dont care about single core perf that much.

Well similar price as in Ryzen 3600, it's still slower.

Intel Core i5-10400 vs. AMD Ryzen 5 3600

image.png

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well similar price as in Ryzen 3600, it's still slower.

Intel Core i5-10400 vs. AMD Ryzen 5 3600

image.png

Its 80£ cheaper, or 3600 is 50% more expensive at the moment. Dont get fixated on fanboyisms and just buy the best value parts that are available. And if getting a tiny bit slower cpu means you can get a real gpu for Blender, which one is faster in that use case?