Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to try and keep  things simple. I recently bought the Legion 5 gaming laptop with the RTX 2060 /10th Gen Intel. I am going to use my old PC which is really a high end DDR3 system that can handle gaming decently on low settings etc. I will list out my computer build below with PC Part Picker links and my areas of concern and if anyone thinks I have a "good to go" system or should upgrade / maybe downgrade in some weird case for sound.

Use Case:

*This is primarily for a multimedia/movies/TV shows to be streamed all the way up to 4K fluidly. Not some crazy backup server all that.

Concerns:

1. Sound

·         Current: Decently loud

·         Question/Solution: Bought ARTIC F12 Silent fans (4 of them) (Amazon Link)

2. Processor / SATA II / DDR3 vs SATA III DDR 4

·         Current: SATA II DDR3

·         Question/Solution: My initial thought is read/write over network is all that matters here for the most part but could be wrong. Outside speed and direct cable transfer speeds is there any concern here? The Motherboard is pretty bad lol.

3. Networking

·         Current: TP-Link Archer AX3000 Wireless Dual-Band PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter with Bluetooth 5.0

·         Question/Solution: Will this suffice? I am getting the ethernet port in the living room fixed (currently not working), which uses 1Gig I would assume since my motherboard card is definitely mediocre/older. Is 10GbE worth it

My Old PC Build/Part List

*All PC Part Picker items on the list below are OWNED from a previous build and/or being shipped as of now. Only new purchases are the 10TB NAS HDD and the new case/case fans (BEING SHIPPED CURRENTLY). Just looking for suggestions on swaps/upgrades/downgrades from current list). Not a hypothetical build seeing as I own them.

Operating System: Most likely Free NAS or Multimedia one since that is really my primary use outside some important file storage, but will most likely use the Samsung T5 SSD 1TB for that since I can easily convert it cold storage by simply unplugging it from NAS etc. Open to suggestions.

Primary PC: [Intel Core i7-10700F - 8 Core] - [MSI B460M PRO-VDH] -  [MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING X TRIO] - [Crucial Ballistix RGB 80 DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory] - [ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler] - [Crucial P5 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME] - [WD SN550 500 GB M.2-2280]

Where is the PCPP list?

10 minutes ago, TheDataAnalyst said:

1. Sound: Currently decently loud you could say.

What speeds are the fans set to? Id just lower their fan curves.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Where is the PCPP list?

What speeds are the fans set to? Id just lower their fan curves.

Sorry I accidentally hit enter. Was not finished with the post. It's updated now though.

Primary PC: [Intel Core i7-10700F - 8 Core] - [MSI B460M PRO-VDH] -  [MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING X TRIO] - [Crucial Ballistix RGB 80 DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory] - [ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler] - [Crucial P5 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME] - [WD SN550 500 GB M.2-2280]

1 minute ago, TheDataAnalyst said:

Sorry I accidentally hit enter. Was not finished with the post. It's updated now though.

Well it won't be the most power effiecent if you care about that.

WHat os do you plan to run?

What parts are you planning on buying? Id probably get those shucked externals here instead of that ironwolf drive, much cheaper.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well it won't be the most power effiecent if you care about that.

WHat os do you plan to run?

What parts are you planning on buying? Id probably get those shucked externals here instead of that ironwolf drive, much cheaper.

Yeah I figured the power part, but from what I read / can tell as long as you have sleep modes and settings set up correctly you can have power mode savings until wake on lan/controller use similar to PC.

OS : Free NAS or the multimedia one (added to original post)

Purchasing: In the parts list above there is an asterick. I own every single one of these parts already (the 10TB iron wolf, new PC case, Case Fans are all being shipped, but still bought/owned)

8 minutes ago, TheDataAnalyst said:

Yeah I figured the power part, but from what I read / can tell as long as you have sleep modes and settings set up correctly you can have power mode savings until wake on lan/controller use similar to PC.

OS : Free NAS or the multimedia one (added to original post)

Purchasing: In the parts list above there is an asterick. I own every single one of these parts already (the 10TB iron wolf, new PC case, Case Fans are all being shipped, but still bought/owned)

It will probalby use about 60-80w idle, so I wouldn't bother sleeping it, as it makes it much more or a pain to use.

Ye id really not get the 10tb hdd, id get a shucked external, much cheaper for the same capacity.

You don't need the extra fans, it really won't make that much heat. Id cancel that shipment/return them.

What case do you have now? Id really try to get a case with more hdds bays if you want to upgrade later on, 2 bays seems pretty limiting here. Id get a case with like 6 hdds bays.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It will probalby use about 60-80w idle, so I wouldn't bother sleeping it, as it makes it much more or a pain to use.

Ye id really not get the 10tb hdd, id get a shucked external, much cheaper for the same capacity.

You don't need the extra fans, it really won't make that much heat. Id cancel that shipment/return them.

Reintroduce concerns, my main focus is not saving $60 bucks shucking really. My primary concerns is network connection via wireless or wired 1Gig streaming 4K via HDMI/ Read and write to NAS new files and performance doing such. Basically I first want to make sure the networking/SATA II will hold up first.

Hmmm what would be the suggestion on power consumption?  Anything reasonable without gutting the MB/Processor? Another CPU cooler might drop is some EVO more a performance based unit.

Hard Drive: can you give me an example? I mean the best thing I could find was WD Easy Store 8TB for $140 ish still 7200 RPM, but not sure I see the true value for 2TB less and one is specifically designed for NAS storage. Also has great cycle times, and semi quiter. At the end of the day I am not trying to reduce $60 shucking. However, definitely good to consider when I need to add the second drive. 

Sound: Also sound should get definitely lower considering my other fans are corsair high performance cooling ones and actually decently loud on purpose. So I think sound should go down a little like half the sound using these new fans literally than my corsair ones at least by the numbers put out by the company of ea. Worth a shot.

3 minutes ago, TheDataAnalyst said:

Reintroduce concerns, my main focus is not saving $60 bucks shucking really. My primary concerns is network connection via wireless or wired 1Gig streaming 4K via HDMI/ Read and write to NAS new files and performance doing such. Basically I first want to make sure the networking/SATA II will hold up first.

Hmmm what would be the suggestion on power consumption?  Anything reasonable without gutting the MB/Processor? Another CPU cooler might drop is some EVO more a performance based unit.

Hard Drive: can you give me an example? I mean the best thing I could find was WD Easy Store 8TB for $140 ish still 7200 RPM, but not sure I see the true value for 2TB less and one is specifically designed for NAS storage. Also has great cycle times, and semi less noisy than other HDDS.. At the end of the day I am not trying to reduce $60 shucking. However, definitely good to consider when I need to add the second drive. 

Sound: Also sound should get definitely lower considering my other fans are corsair high performance cooling ones and actually decently loud on purpose. So I think sound should go down at least a little. Could be almost half the sound using these new fans literally than my corsair ones at least by the numbers put out by the company of ea. Worth a shot.

2 hours ago, TheDataAnalyst said:

My primary concerns is network connection via wireless or wired 1Gig streaming 4K via HDMI/ Read and write to NAS new files and performance doing such. Basically I first want to make sure the networking/SATA II will hold up first.

What bitrte is your footage? Most 4k video is sub 100mbit, so gig wired is more than plently, same with sat. Performance own't be a issue for a media server here. Id try to keep off wifi as it just has more issues though

what cooler do youhve now? The cooler you have is likely fine. You can't do too much to lower power without a new board here.

can you give me an example? I mean the best thing I could find was WD Easy Store 8TB for $140 ish still 7200 RPM, but not sure I see the true value for 2TB less and one is specifically designed for NAS storage. Also has great cycle times, and semi quiter. At the end of the day I am not trying to reduce $60 shucking. However, definitely good to consider when I need to add the second drive. 

Id get that 14tb easystore for $190, fiarly cheap, and works well. RPM won't mtter here, your fully network limited for speed.

ound: Also sound should get definitely lower considering my other fans are corsair high performance cooling ones and actually decently loud on purpose. So I think sound should go down a little like half the sound using these new fans literally than my corsair ones at least by the numbers put out by the company of ea. Worth a shot.

Most fans are pretty quiet when spinning slowly, so id just run your current fans slowly, your bios can probably do this. 

39 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What bitrte is your footage? Most 4k video is sub 100mbit, so gig wired is more than plently, same with sat. Performance own't be a issue for a media server here. Id try to keep off wifi as it just has more issues though

what cooler do youhve now? The cooler you have is likely fine. You can't do too much to lower power without a new board here.

Id get that 14tb easystore for $190, fiarly cheap, and works well. RPM won't mtter here, your fully network limited for speed.

Most fans are pretty quiet when spinning slowly, so id just run your current fans slowly, your bios can probably do this. 

Appreciate the help. Yeah I am just going to stick with the NAS built 10TB. The 12TB easy store is $200 so for $40 I got 2 less TB, but a brand I trust and NAS direct capable. Just not a big WD fan as well. 

WiFi we will just have to see if I run into issues I will get the Ethernet port fixed. We do have a WiFi extender in the townhome so I think it should do it's job. Just a matter of testing if not I can return it/use it if I take it somewhere with me.

3 minutes ago, TheDataAnalyst said:

Appreciate the help. Yeah I am just going to stick with the NAS built 10TB. The 12TB easy store is $200 so for $40 I got 2 less TB, but a brand I trust and NAS direct capable. Just not a big WD fan as well. 

WiFi we will just have to see if I run into issues I will get the Ethernet port fixed. We do have a WiFi extender in the townhome so I think it should do it's job. Just a matter of testing if not I can return it/use it if I take it somewhere with me.

Is the nas going to be on wifi or just the client?

Id plug your nas into your router/extender, and then hve the clients wireless.

23 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is the nas going to be on wifi or just the client?

Id plug your nas into your router/extender, and then hve the clients wireless.

I was going to have the NAS in my living room HDMI connected to my TV and Ethernet ported into the wall once working. Wireless until then. Router is in a custom build router closet in the office not too far away. Then yes everyone else (TVs using Kodi/Plex) /clients will access remotely via WiFi.