Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

M1 Mac mini overtakes entire Japanese desktop market in less than 2 weeks

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

is for

2 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

I have no idea what wifi issues you keep referring to, Wifi is indeed one of the things that works just awesome on Macs. For anyone I know and myself Wifi always worked flawlessly. It looks to me a bit like you are desperately searching for problems related to Macs and MacOS.

Hm, there is probably no sense in discussing with someone that titles xcode as garbage and has general such a negative attitude towards anything Mac related.

I am so sorry they broke your favorite music creation app. And there are probably millions of examples on Windows and other OSes where the same happened after some stupid update or the machine got bricked alltogether.

Just came to say Xcode is indeed garbage, and to pipeline it into ci/cd is not fun, also apple interprets specifications in their very own way (example Safari and JS, another would be the colour space DCI-P3 vs Apple P3), also I would like to point out there's obvious problems across any ecosystem, not acknowledging them is what usually breaks a conversation into an argument.

29 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

It sounds like you never had a problem and did not have to look in Mac forums for solutions... Don't now how about you, but MacMini mid 2010 and iMac end 2015 seem like supported hardware to me.

I’ve had plenty of issues with my Macs. But those are usually because I broke them in software. I’ve had 1 kernel panic in about 4 years, so yeah idk what you’re doing. 

and for the record, no the 2010 Mac mini is not supported hardware. 

Laptop: 2020 13" MacBook Pro i5, 512GB, G7 Graphics, 16GB LPDDR4X | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
28 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

and for the record, no the 2010 Mac mini is not supported hardware. 

I used it from Snow Leopard and until Yosemite... and it was pretty bad.

59 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

I am so sorry they broke your favorite music creation app.

I'm one of the contributors and spent days trying to figure out how to solve the problem... >.>

59 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Hm, there is probably no sense in discussing with someone that titles xcode as garbage and has general such a negative attitude towards anything Mac related.

Xcode is garbage. Give CLion or Visual Studio a try. It is not negativity, but they are at fault for both software and hardware problems, unlike Windows computers. I also had a terrible Samsung ultrabook that overheated like a Macbook, but it was a third of the price of an equally configured at the time (computers below 5k BRL have/had almost 100% tax breaks, and we have insane tax rates for tech).

9 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

People run what they need to run. If it is an OS in 20yo hardware, so be it. If it is a 20yo application, so be it. Who are you or Apple to tell what people should run or not and where?

This is why Windows desktop experience is so much fragmented. It runs everything and cope with everyone's need but everyone is just utilising a very small subset of the features that the OS provides and being so reluctant to changes. 

Just imaging how many years since Windows has introduced scaling and many native apps still suck and people are spreading "knowledge" like 27-inch 4K is too dense. Just imaging how many years since Windows has introduced its ARM build yet Chrome won't even consider build an ARM version for it until M1 is on the market, and it took them what, several days?

Modern softwares require maintenance. And it cost money. If you want to stay at the specific hardware + OS + software, so be it. Don't drag us with you. You are just asking every Windows customer to pay for the maintenance of your specific need. 

And your list of OS X/macOS bugs is just a joke. Every OS has issues and issues =/= broken OS. 

59 minutes ago, bruhsfx2 said:

Just imaging how many years since Windows has introduced its ARM build yet Chrome won't even consider build an ARM version for it until M1 is on the market, and it took them what, several days?

Karma. Microsoft screwed Mozilla and Google with WinRT.

Modern softwares require maintenance. And it cost money. If you want to stay at the specific hardware + OS + software, so be it. Don't drag us with you. You are just asking every Windows customer to pay for the maintenance of your specific need.

Everyone is asking for everyone to pay for their maintaince of their specific needs...

You probably didn't read the part I said they should work to make WINE cover most stuff and drop native Win32 support. They have software lists with features used, which means they can prioritize development of certain feature sets. They could also help with the automated tests, documentations and stuff like that.

And your list of OS X/macOS bugs is just a joke. Every OS has issues and issues =/= broken OS. 

I'm not aware of recent issues because I haven't been really using for more than 3 years. If it breaks my workflow, it is broken for me. If your OS doesn't bother you, then good for you.

Here is my Windows list:
Windows search for have been complete trash for years. Last time it gave reasonable results was in Win8.1.
OneDrive from Win8.1 was way better.
The never-ending switch from control panel to the settings app.
Certain tabs that crash the settings app preventing their modification.

Syncing your desktop to onedrive can slowdown apps that try to read system files on it.
TLS1.1 or 1.2 preventing authentication with some enterprise WiFi networks (which required registry workaround).

Selecting files and clicking to print put everything in a bizarre order unless explorer is set to order by name.
When you open your profile folder (%userprofile%) on explorer and click on the folder path, the absolute path to the profile folder isn't shown.
Bluetooth windows seems abandoned since the Vista era.
The way printers/devices are managed (or not managed, to be precise) in the new Settings app is abominable.
For better or for worse, the antitamper stuff from Defender keeps re-enabling real-time protection and other settings, which are performance hogs.
Group policy settings are not always enforced, which is absolutely bizarre.

My Ubuntu list:
Default sound output device isn't saved between reboots (WTF!).
Configuring snaps isn't straightforward and makes people stick with apt.
Printer management is really bad (printers are the nemesis of all major OSes, in my opinion).
Bad drivers (especially video and motherboard).
Bad battery life (due to bad drivers).

Chrome is not an OS, but deserves a mention:
Has a stupid built-in antivirus that is pure cancer.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:29 AM, huilun02 said:

Can they really replace a full fledged Windows desktop for heavy loads though?

No, but it's certainly going to beat a lot of higher priced windows desktops in video editing (especially 10 bit 4:2:2 footage from newer DSLR/mirrorless cameras which virtually no other desktop can currently edit) and if you need Final Cut Pro like me (not want, need), it's certainly a great deal.

Imma get the 16gb model since my windows laptop is falling apart at this point

19 hours ago, bruhsfx2 said:

This is why Windows desktop experience is so much fragmented. It runs everything and cope with everyone's need but everyone is just utilising a very small subset of the features that the OS provides and being so reluctant to changes. 

Just imaging how many years since Windows has introduced scaling and many native apps still suck and people are spreading "knowledge" like 27-inch 4K is too dense. Just imaging how many years since Windows has introduced its ARM build yet Chrome won't even consider build an ARM version for it until M1 is on the market, and it took them what, several days?

It's called business. You develop and sell your product based on what your most profitable customer bases want, and windows is much more of a corporate than a home software item. Business don;t want and don't care about new innovative flashy features or advancements every generation, what they want is stability and predictability. Windows development is heavily influenced and constrained by that. it has to be, Microsoft entire OS business model is built around it. The onyl reason it gets as much new and fancy stuff as it does is because MS also sells a cutdown version for home use and they try to build new stuff in for that. Well that and if they want to get businesses to buy a new generation of OS they have to try to give them some reason to upgrade, but by the nature of the market they're allways going to be fighting an uphill battle in that area and they know it well enough to not push their luck.

On 11/30/2020 at 7:29 PM, huilun02 said:

To be clear, its lead is in the system brand desktop market for retail. Meaning desktop systems under the apple brand vs non-Apple systems under individual OEM brands. Instead of MacOs vs Windows market share. It also excludes everything used by businesses.

That aside, the Mac minis look very attractive from a form factor point of view. Can they really replace a full fledged Windows desktop for heavy loads though?

I think the reason why the Mac mini sells so well is that for most people ot really does everything they need it to do and there isn't really a reason to go with anything else unless you need windows. My dad would probably like this as he only uses a couple of programs and uses the internet. If you are a power user you likely build your own system anyways instead of buying a computer from the store.