Will a R9 290X work with a Xeon E3-1230 V2?

Filingo

I found an old H61M mobotherboard. I had an old R9 290X that needs cleaning and maybe re-pasting. I thought I'd get 16gb (2x8GB 1333Mhz) DDR3 RAM and put them all together. Are they going to do well together? Or bottlenecking or any other incompatibility that I didn't think of may happen?

*Edit: What budget PSU would you recommend for this build? I spent too much on hardware lately

Thanks

1 minute ago, Filingo said:

Are they going to do well together? Or bottlenecking or any other incompatibility that I didn't think of may happen?

yea they're going to work together

bottleneck will always occur, and what kind of bottleneck you'll have depends on what tasks you're trying to do

but bottleneck doesnt necessarily mean it's bad, it's just running as fast as the slowest part allows it to run

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

bottleneck will always occur, and what kind of bottleneck you'll have depends on what tasks you're trying to do

but bottleneck doesnt necessarily mean it's bad, it's just running as fast as the slowest part allows it to run

thank you. good and simple explanation there about bottlenecking

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I checked on Pc Part Picker and it says they're not compatible, is it because PPP expects Xeon to be paired with a server motherboard and my motherboard is compatible although it says not?

This is the buildhttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/hmYkwz

Just now, Filingo said:

I checked on Pc Part Picker and it says they're not compatible, is it because PPP expects Xeon to be paired with a server motherboard and my motherboard is compatible although it says not?

This is the buildhttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/hmYkwz

PCPP may be wrong

as long as the CPU is on the motherboard's supported CPU list (from motherboard website), it should work

do take note if you need a bios update, tho

Just now, Filingo said:

But I also found this: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Gigabyte-GA-H61M-D2-B3/3499

Seems like someone there used a Xeon 1220 v2

i think you need a 7x chipset, not 6x(?)

https://www.asus.com/my/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z77/HelpDesk_CPU/

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i think you need a 7x chipset, not 6x(?)

https://www.asus.com/my/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z77/HelpDesk_CPU/

I have an Intel DH61WW that officially supports Xeon E3-V2 now that you remind me. Currently it's running i3-2100. In case the Gigabyte H61 won't be compatible, I'll just swap them. Do you have any cheap PSU recommendation for this power hungry machine? 

1 minute ago, Filingo said:

I have an Intel DH61WW that officially supports Xeon E3-V2 now that you remind me. Currently it's running i3-2100. In case the Gigabyte H61 won't be compatible, I'll just swap them. Do you have any cheap PSU recommendation for this power hungry machine? 

PSU is out of my expertise, but for budget builds i would go for CX550, or CX650 if you need more wattage

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

PSU is out of my expertise, but for budget builds i would go for CX550, or CX650 if you need more wattage

Hey is it a sarcasm about the anime picture in your avatar? lol because I just watched an anime for the first time in my life - Spirited Away - it is actually quite good

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It's practically an i7-3770 paired with a 290X. I think it makes sense.

Let's now hope the the board supports Xeons. I literally assembled 3 PCs this Black Friday from old parts + new discounted stuff, although I won't use because it's too old (the LGA775 one) and not worth it

Just now, Filingo said:

Hey is it a sarcasm about the anime picture in your avatar? lol because I just watched an anime for the first time in my life - Spirited Away - it is actually quite good

it's definitely a meme

image.png.4c938457ccefbfee1812421b657c43e7.png