Moving from a damageed HDD to a new one

Feyza

Once again I have to summon thee LTT community for help,

A hard drive has probably been damaged or it's lifespan is coming to an end, so every time it tries to load from, I guess, a bad sector it causes a suden restart and/or bluescreen after the restart. So I've swapped it with my other hard drive, same capacity (500GB) but I need to transfer everything from the bad drive to the new one. So my question is how can I transfer all of the files from the bad hard drive that keeps restarting my PC to the new hard drive?

Thank you in advance <3!

is your OS on the drive?

is the data important? if it is, send it for professional assist.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

is your OS on the drive?

is the data important? if it is, send it for professional assist.

Naw, I've got an SSD with my OS on it, but when the PC tries to change something on that drive it crashes my whole system, so I took it out

It's important but not like freakin' nuclear codes haha, that's why I was looking for a DIY solution. If there is none then I'll have to take to a shop somewhere.

Just now, Feyza said:

Naw, I've got an SSD with my OS on it, but when the PC tries to change something on that drive it crashes my whole system, so I took it out

It's important but not like freakin' nuclear codes haha, that's why I was looking for a DIY solution. If there is none then I'll have to take to a shop somewhere.

you could try creating an image of the drive, but if it causes crashes while reading it then idk if there's much you can do about it

maybe wait for more insights

the obligated message about data recovery: backup is important

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

You could try getting a  SATA to USB adapter, and connect the hard drive through USB.

If you get crashes, it's your sata controller's driver that crashes or causes issues.

The SATA to USB adapter will have a standalone (no drivers needed) SATA controller chip which converts everything to USB.... if the drive crashes, the sata controller probably crashes or resets and worst case scenario, you should only need to unplug the usb cable and plug it back in... or use the on/off switch to turn off the drive and then turn it on.

Example of such adapter:

Amazon.com: SATA to USB 3.0 Cable, BENFEI USB 3.0 to SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Compatible for 2.5 3.5 Inch HDD/SSD Hard Drive Disk with 12V/2A Power Adapter, Support UASP: Industrial & Scientific

Amazon.com: WEme USB 3.0 to SATA Converter Adapter for 2.5 3.5 Inch Hard Drive Disk SSD HDD, Power Adapter and USB 3.0 Cable Included: Computers & Accessories

There are adapters without separate power supply, but those may not produce 12v which is needed for classic mechanical drives. Those are usually meant for 2.5" sata drives used on laptops or SATA SSDs which only use 5v,  which is available in the sata cable.

Without buying anything... I would just start MOVING folders... when a crash happens, just give up with that folder and try moving another folder. Repeat until most of the files are moved.

You could try using HDTune or some other programs to SCAN the surface of the disc and see where there's bad sectors or unreliable sectors. Then you could move all the files that are outside that area with bad sectors. 

Some defragmenting programs like O&O Defrag for example will show a map of the files and their location on the drive.. So you could see which files or folders are outside the problem area and move those, to avoid crashes.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You could try getting a  SATA to USB adapter, and connect the hard drive through USB.

If you get crashes, it's your sata controller's driver that crashes or causes issues.

The SATA to USB adapter will have a standalone (no drivers needed) SATA controller chip which converts everything to USB.... if the drive crashes, the sata controller probably crashes or resets and worst case scenario, you should only need to unplug the usb cable and plug it back in the cable.

Example of such adapter: Amazon.com: SATA to USB 3.0 Cable, BENFEI USB 3.0 to SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Compatible for 2.5 3.5 Inch HDD/SSD Hard Drive Disk with 12V/2A Power Adapter, Support UASP: Industrial & Scientific

There are adapters without separate power supply, but those may not produce 12v which is needed for classic mechanical drives. Those are usually meant for 2.5" sata drives used on laptops or SATA SSDs which only use 5v,  which is available in the sata cable.

Without buying anything... I would just start MOVING folders... when a crash happens, just give up with that folder and try moving another folder. Repeat until most of the files are moved.

You could try using HDTune or some other programs to SCAN the surface of the disc and see where there's bad sectors or unreliable sectors. Then you could move all the files that are outside that area with bad sectors. 

Some defragmenting programs like O&O Defrag for example will show a map of the files and their location on the drive.. So you could see which files or folders are outside the problem area and move those, to avoid crashes.

Might try it later, thank you both for the help, I'll mark the solution if I manage to recover those files