turbo boost not starting for some reason in my HP laptop

Go to solution Solved by Milky Karcher,
17 hours ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

234116410_2020-11-3021_09_42-CPUIDHWMonitor.png.126da420ae7e25f708e1a0b768209ab0.png

Try messing around with the setting in windows, by that i mean switching it to high performance mode. Also try messing around with temps limits in the bios.

I noticed that my laptop is starting to feel slow. And I saw in the task manager that it's not turbo boosting for some reason. It used to boost up to 3.3GHz when I had a bunch of tabs open in any browser. I usually end up having more than 20 tabs open at any time in multiple browsers. But now the turbo boost isn't kicking in and everything seems sluggish.

I thought this was because of bad airflow to the laptop so I bought a cooling pad because mine has a vent at the bottom. But that didn't help.

Any idea how I can fix this?

I've attached a screenshot of the task manager. The graph does show that it boosted but it only sustained for a very short amount of time. It used to be able to sustain those higher clock speeds for an entire work day.

Also, the laptop is plugged in the entire time I'm working.

2020-11-30 17_44_47-Task Manager.png

17 hours ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

234116410_2020-11-3021_09_42-CPUIDHWMonitor.png.126da420ae7e25f708e1a0b768209ab0.png

Try messing around with the setting in windows, by that i mean switching it to high performance mode. Also try messing around with temps limits in the bios.

33 minutes ago, The-One-Polish-Guy said:

It seems to be kicking in like before now. I think closing the lid after I switch it on restricts airflow. Maybe that was the reason why it wasn't kicking in. The temps are still the same though so I'm not sure. If it happens again I will play around with the settings or I'll take it to a service center and get the laptop cleaned up and also get a fresh thermal paste. Maybe that would fix it.

Thanks for the help.

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

It seems to be kicking in like before now. I think closing the lid after I switch it on restricts airflow. Maybe that was the reason why it wasn't kicking in. The temps are still the same though so I'm not sure. If it happens again I will play around with the settings or I'll take it to a service center and get the laptop cleaned up and also get a fresh thermal paste. Maybe that would fix it.

Thanks for the help.

I guess repasting might help, however the temps seem normal for a laptop. Let me know what was the issue when u get it fixed.

16 hours ago, The-One-Polish-Guy said:

I guess repasting might help, however the temps seem normal for a laptop. Let me know what was the issue when u get it fixed.

I'm not sure what fixed it. Now turbo boost seems to be kicking in like before. Only thing I changed is I'm keeping the lid open.

Before I used to close the lid because I connect my laptop to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Weird.