Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I've been looking to buy a pixel 4a as my daily driver. I'd like an opinion on the longevity of the device. I don't game on my phone and I mainly use it for streaming on my Chromecast, general social-media use, at times some editing over Canva or Lightroom on the go and for photography. With this use case how may could I get out of it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ruchir_ezio said:

Hi, I've been looking to buy a pixel 4a as my daily driver. I'd like an opinion on the longevity of the device. I don't game on my phone and I mainly use it for streaming on my Chromecast, general social-media use, at times some editing over Canva or Lightroom on the go and for photography. With this use case how may could I get out of it?

I figure you could get three years out of it fairly easily, although it won't be the fastest image editing device.

 

One option: snag the Pixel 4a 5G. It's more expensive, of course, but you'll get a faster CPU on top of the larger screen, upgraded camera and (of course) 5G.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 4a 5G isn't a whole lot faster than the regular version. The most notable difference is the larger phone size (now being average among Android), having a larger battery (by 745mAh), 5G compatibility, and an additional rear ultrawide camera that doesn't have OIS.

 

The main and selfie camera are identical.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

 

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Commodus said:

I figure you could get three years out of it fairly easily, although it won't be the fastest image editing device.

 

One option: snag the Pixel 4a 5G. It's more expensive, of course, but you'll get a faster CPU on top of the larger screen, upgraded camera and (of course) 5G

pixel 4a 5g and pixel 5 wouldn't be launching in my region. The only pixel in India is the 4a and the price here is about 430$, for about a 100$ more on a good deal my second option is iphone 11

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ruchir_ezio said:

pixel 4a 5g and pixel 5 wouldn't be launching in my region. The only pixel in India is the 4a and the price here is about 430$, for about a 100$ more on a good deal my second option is iphone 11

Damn. If you're leaning Android, the regular Pixel 4a may have to do the trick.

 

I'd be seriously tempted by the iPhone 11, though. It's much, much faster than the Pixel 4a and has better overall photographic prowess (particularly for video). You can still send things to a Chromecast (that's been dependent on apps on both Android and iOS) and use your familiar editing tools.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your advice, was really confused looking at the current market for androids, because of the plethora of phones garbage cameras but better performance than the config of the 4a suggests but not a stock android experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If by "longevity" you mean physically be able to do what you want it to do for as long as possible, sure the Pixel 4a could serve you well for a few years. I know many people who are still rocking phones from 2015 and feel no need to upgrade. Software support, if that matters to you, will of course diminish over the years but for everyday use that shouldn't be a major issue for the majority of people. So yeah the 4a could be a nice phone for the long haul as long as you take care of it, and barring a manufacturer defect of course. You may have to do a battery change at least once in its lifetime though.

 

For the record, the Apple device will be supported for a lot longer than the Pixel, and has better hardware overall. Camera quality might be in the eye of the beholder, but it wouldn't be a bad experience at all. Just would depend on which platform you're more familiar with and which one you want to have for the next several years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

If by "longevity" you mean physically be able to do what you want it to do for as long as possible, sure the Pixel 4a could serve you well for a few years. I know many people who are still rocking phones from 2015 and feel no need to upgrade. Software support, if that matters to you, will of course diminish over the years but for everyday use that shouldn't be a major issue for the majority of people. So yeah the 4a could be a nice phone for the long haul as long as you take care of it, and barring a manufacturer defect of course. You may have to do a battery change at least once in its lifetime though.

 

For the record, the Apple device will be supported for a lot longer than the Pixel, and has better hardware overall. Camera quality might be in the eye of the beholder, but it wouldn't be a bad experience at all. Just would depend on which platform you're more familiar with and which one you want to have for the next several years.

Actually I've been on Android since 2012, so it would be a big adjustment and especially I've been on the Google assistant band wagon since it was Google Now on the moto x first gen. Have been avidly using it while commuting or through some day to day tasks and as far as I've heard, the Siri experience is as half baked as Ciri's gameplay was in the witcher 3

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ruchir_ezio said:

Actually I've been on Android since 2012, so it would be a big adjustment and especially I've been on the Google assistant band wagon since it was Google Now on the moto x first gen. Have been avidly using it while commuting or through some day to day tasks and as far as I've heard, the Siri experience is as half baked as Ciri's gameplay was in the witcher 3

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ruchir_ezio said:

Actually I've been on Android since 2012, so it would be a big adjustment and especially I've been on the Google assistant band wagon since it was Google Now on the moto x first gen. Have been avidly using it while commuting or through some day to day tasks and as far as I've heard, the Siri experience is as half baked as Ciri's gameplay was in the witcher 3

Well then I think you got your answer then if you're sticking to the Android experience. I'd say go ahead and get it, it's a decent phone for a great price especially with the needs you outlined.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2020 at 12:00 PM, ruchir_ezio said:

Hi, I've been looking to buy a pixel 4a as my daily driver. I'd like an opinion on the longevity of the device. I don't game on my phone and I mainly use it for streaming on my Chromecast, general social-media use, at times some editing over Canva or Lightroom on the go and for photography. With this use case how may could I get out of it?

I'd look for a 4 if you're interested in photos. Better SoC = Better photos. Or you could look at the 5 or an iPhone.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×