Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dropping core voltage while stress testing OC (Ryzen 5800x)

Hey All, this is my first time switching to an AMD processor and a msi mpg x570 motherboard.

So as I was tuning the settings, I came to a stable 1.32v 4.7Ghz all cores for my 5800x

while running cpuz's stress test, after 3-5 mins the core voltage shown in cpuz dropped to 1.28v while the benchmark score stayed the same, and the temperature was fine (69C at 10 mins mark)

I wonder what could be the cause of this particular situation, since it seems to have no impact on the general performance at all.

Also I was using override mode though I saw there was a "AMD Overclocking" mode, wonder what difference it has from override mode

that's just the voltage dropping because it doesn't need all 1.32v and was fine on 1.28v

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Vdroop, your mobo drops voltage because the CPU is under load to protect it. LLC (Load Line Calibration) counters this but should be used with care as temps can get out of control and currents can get too high as well.

TuringMachine

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

-Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
1 minute ago, aDoomGuy said:

Vdroop, your mobo drops voltage because the CPU is under load to protect it. LLC (Load Line Calibration) counters this but should be used with care as temps can get out of control and currents can get too high as well.

welp, thanks for the reply though I do not think the CPU was underload since it was running a cpuz stress test and I do have LLC mode 4 enabled in bios, the temp is well under control.

4 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

that's just the voltage dropping because it doesn't need all 1.32v and was fine on 1.28v

thanks for replying! I have set the core voltage to 1.29v and it has been okay since then. 

1 minute ago, L1- said:

thanks for replying! I have set the core voltage to 1.29v and it has been okay since then. 

it's fine where it was, you didn't need to drop the voltage.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

5 minutes ago, L1- said:

welp, thanks for the reply though I do not think the CPU was underload since it was running a cpuz stress test and I do have LLC mode 4 enabled in bios, the temp is well under control.

Stress tests put it under load. Vdroop is normal and fine as long as it don't drop too much and causes instability with overclocking (like BSOD and stuff).

TuringMachine

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

-Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
45 minutes ago, L1- said:

If you have the voltage set to a fixed 1.32V, and when you stress the CPU, the Core Voltage drops, then that is Voltage Droop (VDROOP).

For an example, your line voltage to your house is 110V.

Plug in a bunch of light bulbs, adding a load, turn on the switch, and the voltage will drop down to 109.8V.

Same thing with your CPU.

When you stress test your CPU, you are adding load to the line.

When you add a load / resistance, the voltage will drop vs no load.

Hence, in the BIOS, it's called CPU Load-Line Calibration (LLC).

It compensates for the voltage droop as you put load on the CPU.

Typically, the more load %, the higher the compensation needs to be to maintain a steady voltage.

Z370 / Z390 VRM Discussion Thread | Page 135 | Overclock.net

How efficient does Asus M5A88-V EVO handle voltage spikes from CPU LLC -  Overclocking and Cooling - OverclockersClub Forums

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

9 hours ago, -rascal- said:

If you have the voltage set to a fixed 1.32V, and when you stress the CPU, the Core Voltage drops, then that is Voltage Droop (VDROOP).

For an example, your line voltage to your house is 110V.

Plug in a bunch of light bulbs, adding a load, turn on the switch, and the voltage will drop down to 109.8V.

Same thing with your CPU.

When you stress test your CPU, you are adding load to the line.

When you add a load / resistance, the voltage will drop vs no load.

Hence, in the BIOS, it's called CPU Load-Line Calibration (LLC).

It compensates for the voltage droop as you put load on the CPU.

Typically, the more load %, the higher the compensation needs to be to maintain a steady voltage.

Z370 / Z390 VRM Discussion Thread | Page 135 | Overclock.net

How efficient does Asus M5A88-V EVO handle voltage spikes from CPU LLC -  Overclocking and Cooling - OverclockersClub Forums

Wow, thanks for the clarification, this is very specific and useful.