Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TV OLED BX6 (2020) - Settings for Movies and Games (HDR and SDR) - Help

Hello guys,

I just bought a LG OLED BX6 (55") and well, while 4K contente is great, other resolutions seems very bad, not at all clear image or even "close" to sharp. Im using 720p and 1080p contente and yes on my older LG (7400) did work great.

My questions are:

- What settings are I´m missing?

- How to improve other contente resolutions?

- And for gaming, I know there is a gaming mode, but looks so washed out "the colors", what an I do for HDR Gaming and Movies?

and the last stupid question:

- While gaming Warzone, I noticed that my screen "Lumination" gets lower or darker" and yes, ECO Mode is off since min 1. All ECO options I guess are off (maybe missing some option?!)

Plz if u can, help me.

My setup is in English, so its pretty easy to adjust if u guide me!

Set your color output to YCbCr 444

The dimming is from the ABL and ASBL most likely.

You cant really disable ABL, u can limit its occurrence by lowing OLED brightness to ~ 60% apparently.

ASBL can only be disabled in the service menu which requires a LG service remote (u can buy for cheap on amazon) or download the app compatible with a IR equipped device (like a phone with a IR blaster on it)

ABL = Automatic Brightness Limiter

ASBL = Automatic Static Brightness Limiter.

The ASBL is most commonly noticed when viewing static bright screens like when viewing a browser window when using a PC, this kicks in after about 60 seconds and can be very annoying. Thankful it can be disabled, but only in the service menu.

ABL however cant unless u reduce the overall brightness of the display so that when 60% or more the screen is displaying a bright image, it doesnt pass roughly 150nits.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma |

GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC w/OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P |

25 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

+1 for actually explaining what these acronyms stand for. It may just be me, but man for the amount of times these terms are thrown around in the context of OLEDs it's so hard to find what they actually mean. Even literal topics explaining what it does didn't name the full meaning.

13 hours ago, JaySDelta said:

I just bought a LG OLED BX6 (55") and well, while 4K contente is great, other resolutions seems very bad, not at all clear image or even "close" to sharp. Im using 720p and 1080p contente and yes on my older LG (7400) did work great

Perhaps a combination of two factors. Maybe the source material isn't super high quality and secondly you are going down in PPI (pixels per inch) 4k at 43" (102 PPI) to 4k at 53" (80 PPI). The slightly bigger pixels may strengthen the effect of lower resolutions looking worse. There's also only so much that upscaling can do.

I'd check out RTINGS. They're my go to for guideline settings when dialing in my TVs and monitors.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9360 | CPU: i5 7200U | RAM: 8 GB

4 hours ago, tikker said:

+1 for actually explaining what these acronyms stand for. It may just be me, but man for the amount of times these terms are thrown around in the context of OLEDs it's so hard to find what they actually mean. Even literal topics explaining what it does didn't name the full meaning.

Perhaps a combination of two factors. Maybe the source material isn't super high quality and secondly you are going down in PPI (pixels per inch) 4k at 43" (102 PPI) to 4k at 53" (80 PPI). The slightly bigger pixels may strengthen the effect of lower resolutions looking worse. There's also only so much that upscaling can do.

I'd check out RTINGS. They're my go to for guideline settings when dialing in my TVs and monitors.

Well I have a older 4K TV, same inch, its a KU6300 and it runs the same content alote, but alote better.

I don´t know what to do, Im very disappointed!

21 hours ago, JaySDelta said:

Well I have a older 4K TV, same inch, its a KU6300 and it runs the same content alote, but alote better.

I don´t know what to do, Im very disappointed!

How are you playing the content? Is it from a streaming service, or something local like a Plex server or just a plain external drive?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 7:04 PM, tikker said:

How are you playing the content? Is it from a streaming service, or something local like a Plex server or just a plain external drive?

Sorry for the late answer. 

Well I'm using external HDD and now tried PLEX. Both aren't that great. In case of PLEX it sucks, because I don't own a good internet. 

Plus I don't have any DTS support. So ye, there is the biggest issue. 

Then I notice the Series X hasn't a sharp image in the OS of the console.

For example on my 6300 it's crispy and looks great. Even if it's 1080p it up scales great 

It just seems that my TV isn't up scaling that good. Sometimes it does but even then... For a OLED it seems weak compared to a low range TV. 

I tried this days all type os settings. Well maybe I need to reset it since It had 2 updates last 2 weaks. 

Also there is some delays on some games and yes games like 30 frames capped runs so bad.... Compared to older 4K TVs. 

On 11/30/2020 at 4:59 PM, SolarNova said:

Set your color output to YCbCr 444

The dimming is from the ABL and ASBL most likely.

You cant really disable ABL, u can limit its occurrence by lowing OLED brightness to ~ 60% apparently.

ASBL can only be disabled in the service menu which requires a LG service remote (u can buy for cheap on amazon) or download the app compatible with a IR equipped device (like a phone with a IR blaster on it)

The ASBL is most commonly noticed when viewing static bright screens like when viewing a browser window when using a PC, this kicks in after about 60 seconds and can be very annoying. Thankful it can be disabled, but only in the service menu.

ABL however cant unless u reduce the overall brightness of the display so that when 60% or more the screen is displaying a bright image, it doesnt pass roughly 150nits.

Hum now that I tried so many things makes sense. 

The lack of brightness kinda makes me regred buying the TV. 

Maybe I should back the bought the 55Q80T...

7 hours ago, JaySDelta said:

Well I'm using external HDD and now tried PLEX. Both aren't that great. In case of PLEX it sucks, because I don't own a good internet.

You don't need internet if you run it locally. Standard HD content should run fine on a 100 Mbps connection, but for 4k stuff gigabit is recommended. I've never had much luck with WiFi.

For example on my 6300 it's crispy and looks great. Even if it's 1080p it up scales great 

It just seems that my TV isn't up scaling that good. Sometimes it does but even then... For a OLED it seems weak compared to a low range TV. 

I think this still could partially be due to the much bigger and better screen you have now. When I went from my 43" Samsung to my 55" C9 all my "acceptable" low quality heavily compressed HD stuff suddenly looked a lot worse. I'm seeing multiple posts on the internet about the Series X UI looking blurry, so yeah  it might be the TV trying to upscale that and not doing the best job, but again any flaws here will be more pronounced on the bigger screen.

Also there is some delays on some games and yes games like 30 frames capped runs so bad.... Compared to older 4K TVs. 

Make sure to put the TV on the "Game" mode in the picture settings. This will disable a lot of post-processing and should reduce the lag greatly.

The lack of brightness kinda makes me regred buying the TV. 

Personally I feel the blacks make up for it, but to each their own of course.

4 hours ago, tikker said:

You don't need internet if you run it locally. Standard HD content should run fine on a 100 Mbps connection, but for 4k stuff gigabit is recommended. I've never had much luck with WiFi.

I think this still could partially be due to the much bigger and better screen you have now. When I went from my 43" Samsung to my 55" C9 all my "acceptable" low quality heavily compressed HD stuff suddenly looked a lot worse. I'm seeing multiple posts on the internet about the Series X UI looking blurry, so yeah  it might be the TV trying to upscale that and not doing the best job, but again any flaws here will be more pronounced on the bigger screen.

Make sure to put the TV on the "Game" mode in the picture settings. This will disable a lot of post-processing and should reduce the lag greatly.

Personally I feel the blacks make up for it, but to each their own of course.

Makes sense what u say. 

What about the DTS support? 

Can I use VLC on a Android Box and watch therefore the movies there in order to fix the DTS support on the TV?