Do I have to link my Retail Windows 10 education key to a Microsoft account if I want to transfer the license to another computer?

Lightmare

I got a free key from being a student at my school. I don't have the option to link my key to a Microsoft account in the Activation page.

Now I was wondering, if I have to do anything before I input the same license key to another computer.

If you link it you don't have to type in the license to activate. Failing to do that it should deactivate the old PC when you activate the new one.

If you log in to the PC with a Microsoft account it should already be linked. What does it say in the activation page under activation?

7 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

If you link it you don't have to type in the license to activate. Failing to do that it should deactivate the old PC when you activate the new one.

If you log in to the PC with a Microsoft account it should already be linked. What does it say in the activation page under activation?

It just said the O.S. is activated. It doesn't give me the option where it said link your license key to your Windows 10 account.

8 minutes ago, Lightmare said:

It just said the O.S. is activated. It doesn't give me the option where it said link your license key to your Windows 10 account.

It seems that you have a Microsoft account for students that you have to use with the OS? I don't know how it works exactly but if you log in with a student account it should be as easy as to log in with that same account on the new machine. Couldn't find anything official on this in black and white but so it appears.

Either that or putting in your key. Regardless you don't have to do anything else to migrate the license ...if MS lets you migrate student licenses anyway, I don't know. 

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

It seems that you have a Microsoft account for students that you have to use with the OS? I don't know how it works exactly but if you log in with a student account it should be as easy as to log in with that same account on the new machine. Couldn't find anything official on this in black and white but so it appears.

Either that or putting in your key. Regardless you don't have to do anything else to migrate the license ...if MS lets you migrate student licenses anyway, I don't know. 

If I graduate, then my student account will get deactivated. I am graduating really soon.

8 hours ago, Lightmare said:

If I graduate, then my student account will get deactivated. I am graduating really soon.

Which means, IIRC, that you lose the Education activation. You used to be able to get discount of retail version instead of free Education license tied to your schools email/account.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv