I cant hear anything while on Discord

DankDoggo

I just built my computer recently, and whenever I join a discord call, I cant hear anything besides the discord call. I am using Bluetooth headphones, but when I plug in my wired ones, it all works and I hear youtube and such. Does anyone know why this is?

Your default communication device is not the same as your default audio device. You can change this by opening Audio Control Panel (Win+R, enter control mmsys.cpl in Run), right clicking on the audio device you want to use, and selecting "Set as Default Device" and "Set as Default Communication Device".

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

11 minutes ago, DankDoggo said:

I just built my computer recently, and whenever I join a discord call, I cant hear anything besides the discord call. I am using Bluetooth headphones, but when I plug in my wired ones, it all works and I hear youtube and such. Does anyone know why this is?

If this only happens when you're using Bluetooth headphones, it's most likely caused by the headphones switching over to Communication mode to allow the microphone to work with your communication app, in this case, Discord. I have a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones that do the same thing over Bluetooth connections - I can hear people and use the microphone, but audio from music applications such as Spotify either stops entirely or becomes poor quality. This is due to the way the Bluetooth audio stack is hard coded for certain Bluetooth devices.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 11/29/2020 at 2:35 PM, PorkishPig said:

Your default communication device is not the same as your default audio device. You can change this by opening Audio Control Panel (Win+R, enter control mmsys.cpl in Run), right clicking on the audio device you want to use, and selecting "Set as Default Device" and "Set as Default Communication Device".

This worked, thank you! Sorry it took so to thank you guys