Intel or AMD (NAS + Plex) in a Node 804 Case.

6 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

If you don't mind me asking, why are you including discrete GPUs for this server? Both of the i3s you chose have iGPUs and will be more than powerful enough to handle a couple Plex transcode streams.

Those are optional. Its like a remainder that says don't put a 3060 in here. ;)

11 hours ago, _wakajbr said:

Okay so i ran my mouth earlier but that's not it, i tracked some supermicro vendors today.

The cheapest one that he's selling is X11SCL-F.

Here are the two configs i've settled on.

The [Supermicro](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZGKGxc) part list

and the [B460M D3H](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/czt44d) part list. 

Why do you have the quadro in those builds? Both of the boards have a igpu included, and the cpu should be plenty to handle basica transcoding.

Might as well go c246 and ecc if its around the same price.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why do you have the quadro in those builds?

Intel UHD 630 in my i7-8750H has provided 4 simultaneous 1080p direct playbacks or 3 transcodes to 720 or 480. With 4k footage it turns out, i can get 1 direct playback and 1 x264 encode to either 1080 or 720. With 4k x265 its a hit or miss and with 10bit x265 its not even possible. With the p400 i've gotten 2 10bit x265 encodes simultaneously but its peaked at a 100%. PS I already own it. 

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Might as well go c246 and ecc if its around the same price.

c246 or x570 will be my final choice, i'll go with the one that costs less. Thru everything i've listened to/read i've decided not to ditch ecc. It was tough tho. 😅

37 minutes ago, _wakajbr said:

c246 or x570 will be my final choice, i'll go with the one that costs less. Thru everything i've listened to/read i've decided not to ditch ecc. It was tough tho. 😅

id go c246 here for the impi and garanteed ecc support.

• 2 weeks later...

@Electronics Wizardy I recently tracked a local retailer who deals in server barebones and motherboards. He currently has single units of both x470d4u and x570d4u (not x570d4u-2l2t) in stock costing $244 and $375 respectively. He also has in stock Kingston 16GB 3200MHz CL22 DDR4 (KSM32ED8/16ME)  sticks for $90 each. I'd love to hear ur take on whether spending extra on x570 (has two nvme 3.0 x4 ports whereas x470 has 3.0 x2 and 2.0 x4) is worth it and is the ram adequate given the high latency... Also, should i pair a Ryzen 3100 or 3600 with this board. In both cases I'll end up with 8 sata ports so I won't be using hba and i'll have the 16x entirely for a future gpu and the 4x for a 10Gbe card. This build is on a budget tho! Thanks. 

47 minutes ago, _wakajbr said:

@Electronics Wizardy I recently tracked a local retailer who deals in server barebones and motherboards. He currently has single units of both x470d4u and x570d4u (not x570d4u-2l2t) in stock costing $244 and $375 respectively. He also has in stock Kingston 16GB 3200MHz CL22 DDR4 (KSM32ED8/16ME)  sticks for $90 each. I'd love to hear ur take on whether spending extra on x570 (has two nvme 3.0 x4 ports whereas x470 has 3.0 x2 and 2.0 x4) is worth it and is the ram adequate given the high latency... Also, should i pair a Ryzen 3100 or 3600 with this board. In both cases I'll end up with 8 sata ports so I won't be using hba and i'll have the 16x entirely for a future gpu and the 4x for a 10Gbe card. This build is on a budget tho! Thanks. 

Id probably get the x470 board, the m.2 link speed won't matter here.

That ram is fine, I don't think you need much performance from the users you listed.

What is the price difference on cpus? Id probaby go 3600 if its not much more.

There is also a version of the board with 10gbe if you want that, has a x550 built in.

14 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is the price difference on cpus?

3100 is $120 and 3600 is $225.

The boards are short on stock and he's not carrying the x470d4u2-2t which has the 10GBase-T lan available. M.2 pcie 3.0 x2 and 2.0 x4 will max out at around 2000MBps - overhead and I guess using them as cache won't saturate them under 10Gbe link, or am I wrong? 

I'll be using it for video archival, a Windows VM, Plex Server (Local and Occasionally Remote) and might manage security cams from it in the future, I have no idea if ram latency will affect any of it... As u suggested earlier in starting with two 14TB white labels one of them being the parity. 

6 minutes ago, _wakajbr said:

3100 is $120 and 3600 is $225.

The boards are short on stock and he's not carrying the x470d4u2-2t which has the 10GBase-T lan available. M.2 pcie 3.0 x2 and 2.0 x4 will max out at around 2000MBps - overhead and I guess using them as cache won't saturate them under 10Gbe link, or am I wrong? 

I'll be using it for video archival, a Windows VM, Plex Server (Local and Occasionally Remote) and might manage security cams from it in the future, I have no idea if ram latency will affect any of it... As u suggested earlier in starting with two 14TB white labels one of them being the parity. 

Both of the m.2 slots are more than enough to fill 10gbe.

Id be tempted to go 3100 here as you don't seem to need the gpu for plex transcoding, and the 3100 is more than enough for a nas.

30 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id be tempted to go 3100 here

A question that I have regarding ram size is, ZFS demands a gb of ram for every terabyte of storage, are there similar trends for unraid or something that I'm unaware about given it runs XFS/BTRFS? Does ram latency affect a nas'/plex performance?

27 minutes ago, _wakajbr said:

A question that I have regarding ram size is, ZFS demands a gb of ram for every terabyte of storage, are there similar trends for unraid or something that I'm unaware about given it runs XFS/BTRFS? Does ram latency affect a nas'/plex performance?

the GB per tb is bs, you can run with much less ram with out a issue.

You don't need any fix amount of ram for storage. Unraid will run fine with 16gb of ram.

• 2 weeks later...

@Electronics Wizardy Thanks for the valuable advice. I just got the x470d4u delivered today and i've decided to pair it with Ryzen 5 3600 and a corsair RM650 2019.

I'm a bit concerned about the ram choice though. https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KSM32ED8_16ME.pdf

3200Mhz 16GB ecc with CAS latency of 22 and timings 22-22-22 . Considering ryzen works best with cl14/cl16 , cl22 sounds worse and i don't have a lot of options to chose from, the other being Corsair/HyperX 3600MHz cl18 / cl16 NON-ECC kits. 

1 hour ago, _wakajbr said:

@Electronics Wizardy Thanks for the valuable advice. I just got the x470d4u delivered today and i've decided to pair it with Ryzen 5 3600 and a corsair RM650 2019.

I'm a bit concerned about the ram choice though. https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KSM32ED8_16ME.pdf

3200Mhz 16GB ecc with CAS latency of 22 and timings 22-22-22 . Considering ryzen works best with cl14/cl16 , cl22 sounds worse and i don't have a lot of options to chose from, the other being Corsair/HyperX 3600MHz cl18 / cl16 NON-ECC kits. 

I personally wouldn't worry about it, as none of the tasks your doing need lots of cpu or ram performance. But I don't think your will find much higher speed ram. ECC runs at jdec timings and the fastest jdec speeds are 3200 20-20-20, so your pretty close to that already.